xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Watermonkey

Firefox Dictionary Word Edit Oops Accidentally selected Save to dictionary on a mis-

So I've done this twice now. If I keep it up, I'll never find another typo or misspelled word when I'm going through searching for them. When I right-clicked on the wrongly spelled word I accidentally clicked on the "save to dictionary" choice instead of the corrected word when it came up. Now, how do I go in and find that new addition to my dictionary and delete it? I'm using the latest version of OSX for Mac, by the way. I have a feeling if I go searching through the "library" file under FF, I might find the answer and if that's the case, I'll post back here and announce the solution, but if anyone already knows, please give me the answer! Thanks!

According to this Mozillazine article, your personal words are stored in a file named persdict.dat in your profile folder. It appears as a simple text file, so using a text editor, simply edit the mis-spelled word out of the file and you should be good to go...

Thanks for that bit of investigating Jimsta!, but I think since I'm on a Mac or something it's going to be different. I couldn't find any of those files...

Thanks for that bit of investigating Jimsta!, but I think since I'm on a Mac or something it's going to be different. I couldn't find any of those files...

On the mac I you need to browse out to /Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles. Then open the folder that looks like xxxxxxxx.default.In there there should be a file that is labled persidict.dat. Once you find that you should just be able to open it up with a text editor and remove the incorrectly spelled words.