xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Imtay22

[question] Making Fractals? How do you make them/ what program?

Hello, I was looking at some old gfx applications. I saw some with fractals. They looked really cool to make, so now I am wondering how to make them. Thanks to whoever can tell me (preferably Rob V.- not Johnny)

Here is my first one-

Posted Image

Edited by Imtay22 (see edit history)

I don't really know much but yes, I have Apophysis and people have made some really great fractals using that application!

http://www.apophysis.org/

Check it out! :)

Pretty Cool Image there, Imtay.Aren't fractals a mathematically generated thing? with randomness introduced into an equation? I would be interested in someone explaining the math required to create Fractals.

i supose everyone as seen images of the Mandelbrot Set. it is given by the quadratic recurrence equationz(n+1) = z(n)^2 + C.if this interests you, i suggest you take a look at Wolfram Mathworld.

If i'm not mistaken, the Opera browser has its own widget that can make fractels as well, similar to this one i saw on SourceForge but it's really hard on the CPU. The fractals are different in appearance, however, when compared to Apophysis.

Fractals are both mathematical and natural creations. Like most of mathematics come from nature, so did the fractal equations. I think that fractal equations are used to describe shapes that repeat into patterns which are then again generated from following rule. That's why they are often used to generate Game levels, that repeat in some patterns, like distant forests, or oceans even galaxies. Game The Spore which is upcoming "miracle" from Will Wright creator of The Sims, and Sim City uses fractal programming to allow users to create unique creatures, that would then be stored in few bits of data.Also fractal programming is hard, couse rules are strict, but achivements of fractal programming, is that GFX development is then cut down to less pieces that can then be reused to create whole landsapes with few lines of code.