xisto Community
truefusion

Windows Vista Aero Vs Linux Ubuntu Beryl

Windows Vista Aero vs Linux Ubuntu Beryl

Came across this video to check out how Beryl is, and it's just amazing! Blew me away. I am so gonna install Beryl when i'm done building my computer! And to think, Beryl came out first before Vista. You might notice a similarity with Macs in Beryl, but it's basically only in the QuickLaunch bar. Anywho, for those who are new to Linux or haven't seen Beryl in action, prepare to be blown away!

Seen a similar clip sometime back, some XGL or something and at that time I knew I am so not going to try Vista.You guys just keep on motivating me to clean up my PC, back-up stuff, upgrade a bit and install Linux. XD I have the DVD with me. :) Just am too lazy.Btw, this is really amazing, and this clip makes more sense and it's comparing and not just showcasing Beryl and the end was just awesome for an even more awesome comparision.

The only slight problem with Beryl is that it is still quite unstable and can occasionally cause freezes and crashes - about the only software on Linux I have seen do that on a regular basis :)Compiz is a more stable bet, and was the software Beryl originally forked off from. Both have very similar effects, Beryl just goes a little more over-the-top with them.

I quite like the effects that Beryl has over Windows Vista. Seems like its better but I"m not going to switch over to Linux until somebody sits next to me and show me how it really runs.

But I like windows Vista, its cool. Linux has to improve a lot to qualify as a desktop operating system

Linux has to improve a lot to qualify as a desktop operating system

It has, a long time ago. :) If you don't believe me or that video :), you may install it yourself. In fact, more people are starting to switch over to Linux because it is becoming more and more user-friendly. Truth is, my Linux OS is more customizable than Windows, especially since almost everything in it is open-source, so i can edit the code and make programs more to my liking.

It has, a long time ago. :) If you don't believe me or that video :), you may install it yourself. In fact, more people are starting to switch over to Linux because it is becoming more and more user-friendly. Truth is, my Linux OS is more customizable than Windows, especially since almost everything in it is open-source, so i can edit the code and make programs more to my liking.

I agree with you.

In fact I guess Microsoft will have to go through a long journey to get to be as good as Linux... :(

And I prefer Linux even over Macs!

Edited by sylenzednuke (see edit history)

Good to see such glowing praises for Ubuntu. I hear there are places online where u could apply and the media would be sent to you free.Anyone has any idea where i could get the Ubuntu Beryl please...

Anyone has any idea where i could get the Ubuntu Beryl please...

Beryl (unless i'm confusing myself with Compiz) comes pre-installed with Ubuntu, you just have to activate it. You can download Ubuntu at http://www.ubuntu.com/, and if you want, you can have them ship you a CD for free (may take at least two weeks) from http://www.ubuntu.com/shipit/.

I live in Bangladesh. And I am using Windows XP. Because as I am a poor man so I do not have enough money to buy a Vista CD. Last couple of Days ago I went one of my friends house and found out he is using a nice Operating System and thins is nothing but Linux[ubuntu]. And the OS is not that tough enough. In fact this particular OS is maid for Desktop, Laptop Computer. One special thing about "ubuntu" is it has dozens of different language and many languages are available via download. And the most beautiful thing is it is full free :P . Is it not grate?. Any one can get this CD by requesting the "ubuntu" team that I need the CD over Internet. The link is https://www.ubuntu.com/ or shipit.ubuntu.com.UBUNTU is an ancient African word which means "humanity to other"/Have a nice day

Yeah this is just like XGL and Compiz for SUSE Linux. Its been out a while and works great as long as you have atleast 512mb of RAM (prefers 1 gig definitely). I do have to agree that it is not the most stable software but really doesnt crash that often. I have had it on my SUSE 9.3 Laptop for a while and it runs pretty smoothly and the laptop is only a 800 mhz p3 with 512 mb of ram and an integrated video card which obviously isnt very good. I also do have Vista and i like the Aero effects and Vista has been very reliable and bug free for me. I play lots of games, create websites, program in DirectX, etc and nothing has frozen or crashed. The only issue i had was with drivers since i got a business copy before it was official released from work since we were corporate licence users we got it early. However, by now all the drivers i need are available and work great. The only thing missing is for peerguardian to finally release a version that works with it :-).Finally, all these graphical interfaces really do not even matter. It just makes things look cooler but doesnt really affect the amount of work / the amount of fun you have on your computer. Personally, i tend to turn the effects off most of the time since i just dont need them for what i do.

I live in Bangladesh. And I am using Windows XP. Because as I am a poor man so I do not have enough money to buy a Vista CD. Last couple of Days ago I went one of my friends house and found out he is using a nice Operating System and thins is nothing but Linux[ubuntu]. And the OS is not that tough enough. In fact this particular OS is maid for Desktop, Laptop Computer. One special thing about "ubuntu" is it has dozens of different language and many languages are available via download. And the most beautiful thing is it is full free :P . Is it not grate?. Any one can get this CD by requesting the "ubuntu" team that I need the CD over Internet. The link is http://www.ubuntu.com/ or shipit.ubuntu.com.

UBUNTU is an ancient African word which means "humanity to other"

/Have a nice day

Mostly all Linux distributions are free and have many different languages (I use Mandriva, really easy yet powerful distro, which even has support for Zulu language (?!)).

Wow! After watching this video, definitely want to try Beryl. 3D efects I already have are similar, but this is awesome... The only problem is I don't have appropriate graphics card for this (Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 XT). Anyone has any suggestions or something?

Notice from Velma:
Please do not double post, contact a mod if you would like help :P

+1 to the last comment, also in multimedia production. Most games or software have issues with vista and will probably not be updated or have issues with vista until the end of the year.. Most probably. So right now the best bet would be to stick to xp, or linux if you already use it for everything you need.

Hello!I think that some of you might kill me, but I prefer Vista than Ubuntu! Vista is,in my opinion, better than Linux, I know that it has some mistakes but everything has mistakes, so sorry for the Linux ppl but that's what I think, but to be honest, I have Ubuntu in my other PC. :)