xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zachwyler

The Greenhouse Effect Understanding The Green House effect

To understand the greenhouse effect, we need to trace the pathway of the energy received from the sun, through the atmosphere of gases around the Earth to the surface of the Earth. Radiation from the sun is emitted in a range of wavelengths. Those that are important to biological systems range from short-wave ultraviolet (less than 400nm), through visible (400-700nm), to infra-red (more than 700nm). Gases in the atmosphere are relatively transparent to this incoming radiation, although about 30 percent is reflected back into space. Part of the ultraviolet is absorbed by the reactions between oxygen and ozone so the ultraviolet radiation is effective filtered out in the stratosphere. Some of the remaining energy that passes through the atmosphere warms the surface of the Earth. Earth is then radiated back away from the Earth's surface as longer wavelength infrared (4000 to 100000 nm). Part pf this escapes through the atmosphere into the space, but some energy is absorbed by gases in the troposphere because the gases are less transparent to this longer wavelength infrared. Energy absorbed by the gases in the troposphere results in the troposphere warming up. This warm layer then re-radiates the heat energy it has gained. Some is radiated back to the Earth, again providing warmth. The efect of these gases in the atmosphere is to keep the surface of the Earth warmer than it would be without the gases. This way of trapping the heat is known as the greenhouse effect.

Nice Post!As you well know too, the greenhouse effect is a cyclic natural process, suffered by earth from time to time, I believe something like 10.000 years or so. But mankind as it evolutes and progresses in science tends first to destroy it?s own sole environment before we gain conscience that what we have been doing is wrong and desperately tries to fix it.THERE IS NO FIXING TO BE DONE! We are bound to our past and facing a not good looking future. But rejoice! We are going to survive, humankind will have to learn from it?s mistakes to draw a better future for itself. For now all we can do is to try to adapt ourselves to a new conscience and convince our government representatives that the money they spend on hate wars should be forwarded to the war against ignorance and for a higher level of consciousness regarding our home, Planet Earth. Or else there will be nothing left to fight for.Hope you all open your hearts and minds to this message...

I did this this year in school. Great review before I forget it all and have to study it all over again. So thanks, you probably helped my grades more than you know :PI think you should, however, include what gases primarily cause the greenhouse effect like PFCs, water vapor, carbon dioxide... etc.. I really dont remember much!!! :P :P :P

Edited by lilemi (see edit history)

Global Warming isn't real. I'm not believing that temperature readings from one hundred years ago are remotely accurate in telling diminutive degree changes. Their inaccuracy is probably in if not over the innacruracy rate of today's temperature reading technologies.

I have learned quite a bit about global warming and the greenhouse effect over the years. Most of what I have read says that humans are the cause of global warming. Note that I said "the" cause. We are more of a cause. I think that yes we help it but it's still apart of the Earth's process and will continue to occur naturally. Carbon dioxide makes up 0.05% of the world's atmosphere, and we produce 1/10 of that CO2. That means we produce 0.005% of the world's CO2. Does that really make that much of a difference in a world so big? Ya maybe some difference, but CO2 isn't the main cause like I have heard many say. Carbon dioxide is really just an indicator of global warming. Car exhaust is a big problem with releasing harmful gases int he atmosphere but the burning of fossil fuels probably is the biggest. We are using the same technology for burning fossil fuels that we did in the beginning which is part of the problem. There is a lot that we can do, but like I said before, we are just a factor. It's a part of Earth's process and eventually we will start to cool down and go into another Ice Age and that will be blamed on us as well.

People may not believe in global warming and greehouse effects but guys lets face it. Even if he neglect the temperature readings of the past years, we can see that the glaciers that are slowly melting, the rise in the sea level and the temperature rise in the artic reigon kind of all points in the direction that global warming or temperature rise is happening. Even if we may not believe in it, the least we can do is do small things to counter it like slow down breathing :XD:.Anyways, nice write about the greenhouse effect zachwyler. it revised my knowledge about the greenhouse effect. kind of renewd it as i forgot all about that. lol.

Global Warming isn't real. I'm not believing that temperature readings from one hundred years ago are remotely accurate in telling diminutive degree changes. Their inaccuracy is probably in if not over the innacruracy rate of today's temperature reading technologies.

dude how can you say that. it grinding to my ears
history always repeats its self. just look at all the ice ages

Huh ?
:P
You dont feel the after effects of global warming , Places Are getting Hotter , glaciers are melting, The only source of Pure water in reservoirs are drying up , it rains where it should and And the Best Example Is Katrina.

I guess i know in detail about the Green House Effect,

The sun's radiation, much of it in the visible region of the spectrum,warms our planet. On average, earth must radiate back to space the same amount of energy which it gets from the sun.
Being cooler than the sun, earth radiates in the infrared. (An object, when getting warmer,radiates more energy and at shorter wavelengths. On cooling, it emits less and at longer wave lenghts. Lava or heated iron are examples.)

The wavelengths at which the sun and the earth emit are, for energetic purposes, almost completely distinct. Often, solar radiation is called shortwave, whereas terrestrial infrared is called long wave radiation.

Greenhouse gases in earth's atmosphere, while largely transparent to incoming solar radiation, absorb most of the infrared emitted by earth's surface. The air is cooler than the surface, emission declines with temperature, so the air or, rather, its greenhouse gases emit lessinfrared upwards than the surface.

Moreover, while the surface emits upwards only, the air's greenhouse gases radiate both up- and downwards,so some infrared comes back down. Clouds also absorb infrared well.Again, cloud tops are usually cooler and emit less infrared upwards than the surface, while cloud bottoms radiate some infrared back down.All in all, part of the infrared emitted by the surface gets trapped.

Clouds are another big player in the game. Beginners please don't confuse clouds with water vapor: clouds consist of water droplets orice particles or both. Under cloudy sky the greenhouse effect is stronger than under clear sky. At the same time, cloud tops in the sunshine look brilliantly white: they reflect sunlight.

In an nutshell it may lead to the heating up of the earth surface which may even result in the Polar ICE melting.

Notice from rvalkass:

Copied from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Anything you copy must be put in QUOTE tags.