xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
matak

Champions League Finals Milan Vs Liverpool Finals - 23 May 2007 at OACA Spyro Louis - Athens

A brief history of Champions League

Champions League is most popular football (soccer) championship in the world. Champions League started in 1995 when first French sports daily L'Equipe, mentioned that it would be good to make an European championship that would be played on Wensday's night. At first it wasn't ment to be just a championship for Leauge champions but only for clubs that would be invited by the term of bringing the most crowd to the game. As league evolved now it is played by League Champions which based on their UEFA league score table go immediately to Groups, or they have to play 3rd 2nd leg of qualifications.

From 1955 til now there were 22 different league champions. Most dominating club is Spanish Real Madrid. They won first five league finals, and until now they have 9 titles. After Real Madrid there is also AC Milan with 6 titles, Liverpool FC with 5 and Bayern and Ajax follow with 4 titles. Even with Real Madrid having 9 titles total there was no time in Championship when only one club dominated.

Last few years

Last few years Champions League was awesome. All of the mayor world players from Ronaldo, Shevchenko, Figo, Ronaldinho, Kaka played in clubs that play in Champions League. Some clubs there like Real Madrid, Chelsea, Internacionale invested great money into buying new players (mostly from Southern America) so that they could make a team which will have the capacity to win their League Championship and Champions league. Even with all those investments rarely one club manages to win both runs. But wining on both sides really means that Club has the play and power. Some clubs that really fascinated me were Manchester United in 1999 they won both titles, in dramatic finals with FC Bayern, when they were losing 0-1 whole game, and managed to turn it to 2-1 in just last 4 minutes of the game.

Also FC Barcelona played some awesome football last few years, and finally they managed to win last year when they played against Arsenal, while they were loosing 0-1, Arsenal had one less player (red card), and didn't have the power to hold the score till the end.

Greatest of all finals i've ever seen, although was bad for me couse i'm AC Milan fan, was that played a year before in 2005. AC Milan, and Liverpool FC played a game in Istanbul. AC Milan just played awesome, and Liverpool didn't stand a chance. By the end of first half Liverpool was loosing by 3-0! I watched the game with few of my friends, and we were already celebrating - BAD! In just 5 or 10 minutes in second half Liverpool scored 3 goals and the game was back on the beginning.

It wasn't like Liverpool started to play good. It was just that they had three attempts on a goal, and three goals. We just sat down in our chairs, and wondered what happened. By the end of the game AC Milan had much more chances for goal, but they just couldn't manage it. Game went to overtime, and penalty shootout, after which Liverpool after whole 20 years of waiting held the Championship Trophy!

This year - this finals

Both teams Liverpool and Milan gave up on their Leaugue championship a while ago. Liverpool just didn't have a chance due to Manchester United and Chelsea dominated the Championship (which was won by Man Utd YEAH!! :unsure: ), and AC Milan was cought in middle of a scandal in Italian league last year when several clubs including famous Juventus were cought in bribing judges and fixing league results. That ended bad for Juventus which was kicked in Second League, and Milan started with 8 points behind the rest of the clubs, and didn't have a chance to win such a hard league with so many points in minus.

I'm not much of a football expert, but watching last games from both clubs made me realize that they play really awesome football. Last AC Milan game against Manchester United in semi finals, at home, showed how powerful AC Milan is. They just wasted Red Devils, and managed to get with easy 3-0 win, which in total ended up 5-3 for Milan couse they lost the first game in Manchester with 3-2. First half of the second game was announced as One of the best halfs in Leaugue history where AC Milan played a perfect game.

Liverpool had a tough challenge with League second runner Chelsea. They both played two really hard matches which both ended up 1-0. In penalty shootout Liverpool ended up better with final result of 4-1.

Overall

I don't know if you are much of a football fan. But watching great sports, no matter which one is always awesome. I wish i had a chance to go to the finals and watch it live. I just don't have, so it will be me and TV. Also a couple of beers and a good friends is a must have when watching football finals. I wish that Milan manages to win, but knowing both teams, it's gonna be a really hard game. I wish it can be as the last match of those giants, no matter even if AC Milan loses, couse it's not only in wining but it's also in playing football.

Its sad tht ManU and Chelsea are outManU didn't play lyk ManU in the SemisChelsea did play well but Liverpool were too good for dem (esp. in the Penalty shootout)ManU still rules!! On the road for a double this year (EPL and FA cup)The finals are a repeat of 2005 finalsHope Liverpool wins

I support Man U :)I know since United are an english club I should be rooting for Liverpool...But forget about Milan, they're meaningless to United fans. Liverpool on the other hand have been always our bitter rivals, its incomprehensible that a United fan support them, its like a Roma fan hoping that Lazio win a CL, or a River Plate fan cheering for Boca Juniors.Go AC Milan! Wooo :)

I'm also a Man U fan.Got loads of mates who go for Liverpool and I will be watching the match with them so i'll probably go for them on the night...