xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
OpaQue

Objection Regarding Master And Slave Hard-drive ?

I heard that there has been an objection that has been taken against calling hard-drives MASTER and SLAVE. Someone said that it is kinda RACIEST and it will soon be renamed ?Do you know about it ?

LMAO! It's been refered too as 'Master' and 'Slave' for years. I dont think they'd bother changing it now.Reasoning for the names:Master: The Master drive is connected directly through a serial cable to the MotherBoard. Or is the primary drive on a 2-connection serial cable. This is usually the HardDrive. As the HardDrive is your main drive, its is commonly refered to as the 'Master' drive.Slave: The slave drive is the second drive connected to a 2-connection serial cable. If the Master drive fails, the slave will try to take over the job. This drive is commonly the CD-Rom drive. As this is the seconadry drive it is usually called the 'Slave' drive.Is that good? If they change the names, Microsoft will have to change their programming and everything. when your computer starts up, you'll notice on a black screen it says:Master: <master specs here>Slave: <slave specs here>Secondary: <seondary specs here>etc...If changed this would have to change too. I can almost guarantee they wont change the names.

Are they still pushing to get those names changed? I though this "issue" was resolver several years ago. What kind of people is actually offended by this?