xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Sinari

Unsolved Computer Issue

I've posted this at another forum and they've pulled a blank on what it could possibly be... For the past three weeks, my computers have not been able to see one certain web domain. I have 3 computers running on a wireless network with a belkin router and one computer as the provider for the internet to the router via a wired port.This website use to be accessable by each of the computers and one day I woke up and it says the server cannot be found. My friend who is being provided internet by centurytel the same as I am is able to view this site and I am not. There is no question of it not existing, my computers just can't see it. I was instructed to download Opera and try it in case it was an IE problem but I cannot see it in any browser. I have IE 6 and I have tried the other computers with IE 7 and yet I get nothing still.I've deleted all spyware from each computer including the bad bout on one of the computers. Can anyone think of a reason that this would suddenly stop working?If you have any ideas, please let me know since I really would like to be able to get to the site. The site is: goodeats.distored-melodies.org and the entire domain doesn't work. Thanks in advance!

Nice site I can see this domain so it is not problem to their domain also I know that you have said that but I wanted to confirm it just in case.One of the problems and in fact the thing which might happen in the most cases is that someone has just made this site that is domain forbiden so your router doesn't allow any communications to it.I don't quite understnad are your three computers connected to the wireless router or one of them is provider of internet. Also I am interested in whether you have access to this router or someone else is administrator. Hopefully I solved your problem but if I haven't then you could just add these information and we will see. Good luck. Hopefully I was helpful.

hmmm.. Have your tried pinging that site from your router admin panel? If oyu get a packet loss of 100% then their is something wrong with the site on your end (IP number). Another suggestion be to log into your admin panel and find something that looks like Access restrictions (or website blocking) and see if the site is listed or not. If it is listed then just delete the entry. Another thing would be to see if your actualy IP number got block by the site , sometimes that is the case when you can't access a site, is that htey block you access on your end.

Yes, as Saint_Michael said, you should ping the server, if you can't ping it then there is something wrong with the computer/router and not your browsers (which I doubt anyways). Also check the IP the ping request gives you. I got 66.7.200.81, your's could be different, but if it starts with something extremely strange like if one the segments are over like 250 or the begining starts as 192.168 or the first one is 127 then you should either check your host file on your comp or see if your router is redirecting you.It's unlikely it's your host file, but it might be if someone decided to mess with all your computers. To get there go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc and open hosts with notepad, there are instructions in there on what to do, the only line that shouldn't be quoted is "127.0.0.1 localhost"Anyways, good luck.

I've checked the host file and that's not the issue- everything looks right. To clarify: my modem is connected to my desktop computer which is the bridge to the router. The router boosts wireless signals and my two laptops and 1 other desktop works off of wireless.I set up this router ages ago and I have all admin access to it. Where would I find my router admin panel? I'm not quite sure... I've contacted her about it and she hasn't blocked it as far as she can tell. She told me that she had no one blocked.

Edited by Sinari (see edit history)

Oops.... I seem to have misplaced the password to my router.... Is there any way to recover it? I'll try pinging it if I can get into it.[EDIT] Never Mind then.... I got it and I'm messing with it.[EDIT 2] I'm looking at my log and this is what I see: Sat May 12 13:53:28 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 221.208.208.100 Sat May 12 13:54:04 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 192.168.1.1 Sat May 12 13:55:09 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 192.168.1.1 Sat May 12 13:55:47 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 222.161.2.43 Sat May 12 13:55:47 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 222.161.2.43 #1: 192.168.1.1 is my modem as is everyone's modem... Why is it blocking that?#2: What is a DoS protection?#3: There are no settings for the firewall to see what it's blocking.#4: There is no option to ping anything. Did I miss something?That's the last edit I promise! I think it's a router issue right now...

Edited by Sinari (see edit history)

Oops.... I seem to have misplaced the password to my router.... Is there any way to recover it? I'll try pinging it if I can get into it.
[EDIT] Never Mind then.... I got it and I'm messing with it.

[EDIT 2] I'm looking at my log and this is what I see:

Sat May 12 13:53:28 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 221.208.208.100
Sat May 12 13:54:04 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 192.168.1.1
Sat May 12 13:55:09 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 192.168.1.1
Sat May 12 13:55:47 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 222.161.2.43
Sat May 12 13:55:47 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 222.161.2.43

#1: 192.168.1.1 is my modem as is everyone's modem... Why is it blocking that?
#2: What is a DoS protection?
#3: There are no settings for the firewall to see what it's blocking.
#4: There is no option to ping anything. Did I miss something?

That's the last edit I promise! I think it's a router issue right now...

As I initially said the problem here is because of blocking try to unblock it there should be something like that in your routers admin panel like web site restrictions and so on. And when you find it then just keep messing around until you unblock it. However I am not completly certain about Dos I would have to read soething avbout it.

I think but I cannot say for hundred percent certainty that DoS stand for denial of Service.

Um, the way I understand it your network layout is like this:
| Wall | -> Modem -> Computer -> Router -> 3 WIFI computers

Is that right? Either way I'm guessing the problem computer is one of the WIFI ones? Try connecting it via a LAN cable and see if that helps. You might want to remove that computer from the network first. You can do this either by doing an IP release, and then IP renew if it doesn't automatically reconnect.

On a side note I had a friend who couldn't view the Adsense ads on any pages (no matter what domain). After a bit of trial and error he tried OpenDNS and it solved the problem.

If it works, in your case it would be more of a workaround than a fix, but it wouldn't hurt to try.