xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Imtay22

First Web Template [by Imtay22]

Well as you can probably see I am not finished with it. This is my first template so it might not be that good. Just rate it and we will see!

Posted Image

PS- This is in the GIMP.

Edited by Imtay22 (see edit history)

Well since this is your first I be gentle MUHAHAHA :unsure:.first thing is the color, that blue is way to bright especially on a white background, I would suggest either make hte blue a bit darker or turn he white background into a darker color. Reason is your want contrasting colors like dark on ligh or light on dark, so as to keep them seperated but also show a little blend to them.Next thin is the scan lines you don't want to cover the whole thing with them, reason being, when its time to cut you could have some problems line them up (thats if you convert the tables to divs) and also it removes any depth you would put into the rest of the design. So what I would recommend is that you just have your background with the scanlines and your content tables all solid or vice a versa; it's the same thing with contrasting colors you want them to be distinguish but be able to flow with each other.Next recommendation I would do is work on using drop shadows as they give a flat design look more 3-d'ish if you can think about it that way, especially if your using a light background such as white, since drop shadow give a small separation to the design and the background. With the circles drop shadow would look nice, I would recommend looking up tutorials that deal with glass orbs and such to help spruce them up.Overall it's ok, keep working at it, from time to time when I make it a template I usually spend all day tweak this or tweak that to give it a bit more.I would hit up pixel2life.com as they have quite a few tutorials on building websites from adobe, you can find some good idea's to help along the way.

Okay, by the way, I made this in the GIMP, not Photoshop. Thanks for the tips and PS- Albus Dumbledore is coding it for me. Is there slicing in the gimp?

Is there slicing in the gimp?

As far as i tried to figure out: No, there isn't. You'll have to do things the long, old-fashioned way. Maybe they'll implement such a feature later on, and hopefully group layers along with. :unsure:
And i agree with most of what S_M said.

Yeas, the blue is too bright. And well, in fact I don't think this is much of a template... I see a background and three blue squares with transparency. You should have some structure there, where to put the links, navigation bar or whatever. So you have a graphic idea but not a template on its own. You say you haven't finished... it would be better to show it in a more advanced step. :unsure:

The effects are way to big, the menu buttons where are they? Because if you are going to slice it you have to slice the menu, containbox and header seperatly. And later with Dreamweaver you can put them together. I had problems with this too, but that trick should do the job.