xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
thejestergl

Babble Monger Website Review

Hey everyone! I just wanted to see how my site looked to others, and I would really appreciate some reviews. Here is a little background information about my website - The website was created for art purposes, I wanted to post my own, and hopfully have others post their art on the website. I may also be starting a web comic on it soon, but I am really focusing on paintings, photography, sketches, computer done images, and even writing (poems, stories, etc.)! I made the website with the help of e107 and have touched it up a little to fit my own needs :unsure:. Here is a list of what we currently have:

Done

- Affiliate page

- Forum

- Gallery

- Downloads section

- Member Blogs

- "Link to us" box

- Polls (sometimes)

Even if you are not an artist, and don't feel like posting up any of your art we are not forcing you too! The forum is a place where gamers, anime lovers, and people who just like to chat can hang out. So please, again, I really wish for some reviews if possible, all opinions will be read and replied to! Thank you for your help ahead of time

-Jester

Sorry to start with the negatives, but these all hit me as soon as I visited the site, and therefore other visitors are likely to instantly spot them too. First, the title still says e107 Powered Website, which could do with a little customisation. Secondly, the following error is displayed at the top of each page - something that appears quite easy to fix.

Log directory is not writable - please CHMOD e107_plugins/log/logs to 777

On to the positives! You've picked a nice theme for the site, relatively easy on the eye without too many bright colours. The background does tend to draw my eye away from the central content though. This should be the other way round! The background should sort of 'fade' away, making the main content stand out. Your affiliates section is well organised and looks quite good, and will surely grow over time. Your forum also fits well with the theme you have used - something which many people forget to do.

My final suggestion would be to do something with the header rather than just having text in the bottom left of that blue rectangle. Perhaps add a few images and display the site name more prominently on the banner. Other than that your site is great and should expand well over time if you can attract the users. Good luck:D

I agree with what rvalkass said about the:

Go into your FTP client and connect to Xisto. Right click on that folder and select CHMOD and then type 777 into the box. That should remove that error message.

It might just be my web browser, but I can't see an image at the top of the page. It would look better if you had an image there, instead of just text. Correct me if I'm wrong :(

Also it might look good if you added Search just before the search box :unsure:

Overall it's a good looking site and I hope you get a few more visitors coming in.

Thank you all so much! I really do appreciate the reviews on my website. I am sorry that I did not get to you earlier but I was hoping for reviews so I can answer them all at the same time! So here we go.

I have actually just fixed this error message I do believe. I was not aware of it before and thank you for letting me know about it. I just had to log into my FTP account and change the folder like said about, easy as pie :).

It might just be my web browser, but I can't see an image at the top of the page. It would look better if you had an image there, instead of just text.

No this is NOT a browser problem. It is just a box with the text located in the lower left corner. I wanted to change the image, but I am not a very good graphics designer. As you can see from my affiliates that my artworks with the computer is very minimal and I only know the basics. I do have a banner, however it does not fit with the theme I have chosen. I am currently looking for a designer who could possibly help me with this. I DO plan on changing the banner, and my "Link to Us" buttons. I will have to do some tweaking to get it so the whole banner will be a link and not just the text.

First, the title still says e107 Powered Website, which could do with a little customisation.

This problem i was very aware of and I have tried very hard to get it so it did not say that. However, I have quite a few folders I have to go through, and files, which I have searched and search with no avail. However I will keep looking and hopfully I will be able to find the source of this problem soon! Thank you again, I really really appreciate both the "negative" and postitive comments I have recieved. I will get right on fixing some of the problems. I hope to see more people looking at my website, and see artwork done by my members which is what the site mainly focuses on.

-Jester

P.S. Please visit back soon to see if you have any more opinions on the website
P.S.S. Thank you for everyone else who still has comments to give!