xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SamiFX

E-elections What do you think about it?

we are now in the technology revolution era, this era haven't an end and everyday we hear about new innovations in more life fields.about politics now and elections, we have electronic governements and with it's growth they are thinking about electronic elections and may be in the few next years you'll vote for your presedent from your home from your computer!but some people do not agree with it, so I just posted that here to see your oppinion about it.are you with it or no?!!

Well postal voting here in the UK causes enough problems as it is. Supposedly, in 3 wards, after they actually started checking the signatures on the postal voting slips, over 20,000 were found to be fraudulent! Using computers opens the possibility for the entire world to put fraudulent votes into an election, rather than just people who are physically present in the country at the time. As far as I am aware, all votes in the UK are still counted and checked by hand. Yes, this leads to a load of recounts and possibilities for error, but when the leader of your country, or even just the local area, is at stake then I would much rather have a real person managing the whole thing rather than a machine.

Well, the thing that most people are concerned about is the votes being altered, though the way I see it is that votes can be altered if they are in any format. I believe that online voting would lead to a great increase in voter turnout. According to infoplease the percent of voting age population who actually voted in the 2004 election was only 55.3% (slightly up from 2000). The U.S.A.'s voter turnout average is 48.3% according to the IDEA which ranks us 139 in the world with Italy being at the top with 92.5% voter turnout.

Have you ever seen Man of the Year? It has to do with this subject.

Speaking of online voting, today I was surfing the web and came across Unity '08. I don't understand their purpose all too well yet, but what I seem to gather is that they're having an online virtual bi-partisan vote for president and vice president in '08.

I think its definatly a good idea. If the government can aquire a secure and reliable enough setup where voting is kept secure. Also, they would have to do some type of authentication to avoid double votes. Like assign each citizen an ID or something that allows them 1 vote. 1 vote per ID. May be a little hard to keep track of, but if it was figured out would definately help with alot. Remember what..7 years ago (?) The whole Gore/Bush recount in FL. With a web server counting votes, imagine how much quicker and precise that could have been done..