xisto Community
OpaQue

The Younger Generation Is More Intelligent ! Do you think so ?

We usually hear that the younger generation is intelligent and stuff. What do you think? Is it really true and if it is, what can be the reason for it ? What I feel is that, younger genration are intelligent because of the technologies they are exposed to. Which makes them think big and better! But I do not find any thing related to their thinking or skills...

I think we are clever because if our mothers and fathers and those beofer them were....then the sort of cleverness is gathered up...and then taught to the next generation and the next and then the next and so forth...so the last generation will always be the most knowledgable I guess,,,,Oh...some people are just born talented.. *ahem* people like me of course..lmao only kidding... [not]

I think it's just the enviroment they are in it's like they would know how to fix a pc but most of them wouldn't know how to fix a car and I don't mean a car with all the new computers in it, I mean like an old Torana or something

Nah. It's not really "more intelligence".. its just an affinity to a rapidly developing technological world. If you grow up already used to the change in general, and with exposure to the types of new things that are becoming the center of modern human life, its easier to deal with than if you'd known something else all of your life. Many concepts and ideas that were once indespensible are no longer even valuable or useful in the least.. people who grew up with them have a hard time letting those things go in order to adapt.. but such is life, i suppose. If the tables were turned and modern convenience were stripped away.. you'd find those most dependant on it flapping like a fish out of water and whole different class of people surviving. It all depends on what game is being played in a particular era, who knows the rules, and who even bothers to play it.Confidence is another thing. Youth today seems to have so much faith in what they know.. and what "we" know... its easier to manipulate something you're certain of. In the end though, we don't know as much as we'd like to think.. but inside the illusion that kind of surity is just what it takes to get ahead.

Nah.  It's not really "more intelligence".. its just an affinity to a rapidly developing technological world.  If you grow up already used to the change in general, and with exposure to the types of new things that are becoming the center of modern human life, its easier to deal with than if you'd known something else all of your life.  Many concepts and ideas that were once indespensible are no longer even valuable or useful in the least.. people who grew up with them have a hard time letting those things go in order to adapt..  but such is life, i suppose.  If the tables were turned and modern convenience were stripped away.. you'd find those most dependant on it flapping like a fish out of water and whole different class of people surviving.  It all depends on what game is being played in a particular era, who knows the rules, and who even bothers to play it.

Confidence is another thing.  Youth today seems to have so much faith in what they know.. and what "we" know... its easier to manipulate something you're certain of.  In the end though, we don't know as much as we'd like to think.. but inside the illusion that kind of surity is just what it takes to get ahead.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well put clergyq, I dont think i could have put that any better if i tried. I even nnotice this in myself sometimes, im quick to judge something as "no good" or "crappy" or just aplain stupid idead because what i have grown up with wasnt that. I find this alot with my little brother when he talks about stuff and when i think about it im quite harsh at times and too quick to pass judgement, but i doubt are generation is any "smarter" than the last, without them there wouldnt be any "us" so.. We only think we are smarter cause they cant grasp all this "new fangled" technology. :D

most kids are morons. especially those from about 16-20 or 21... they think they know it all and are very stubborn. they cannot listen or even comprehend other viewpoints because they always think they are right. i see it all the time. also, they don't know the simplest things that are supposed to be common sense. some examples that come to mind... what is feces? what are power windows? this is coming from a 17 year old... my god..

I do not think that overall the younger generation is "smarter" or more "intelligent". We just happen to be more open to information because of the huge leaps and bounds that it has taken over the course of us being alive.Had our parents the opportunities some of you have and that I had, yeah I'm a 19 year oldie :D, then they probably as well would have been "smarter."

I think that, as others do, its not that younger people are more intelligent its just that they adapt to new technoligies better than the polder generation, because they are used top these. I also believe that both generationas are intelligent, as the older generation has had more life experience, there just not good with new technoligy.P.S my comp just randomly opened the calculator, which was wiered.

I agree with clergyq. It's like.. Our parents and stuff have witnessed changes through their lives, and I suppose the younger generation grow up expecting such changes, as if they're a part of ordinary life. It's easier to adapt if you know what's coming.

Im almost 17 (February 12th) and I know how to fix a car, computer, design websites, program stuff, play sports, know NOT to smoke, I drink alcohol, have friends go to school ful-time, do chores, play games and still have time to be a kid.I multi-task all the time, as you can see. So therefor I think the younger generation may be smarter, but only because we learned from our parents. Our parents knowledge + our learning environment = Smart (usually) kids.That's just what i think :D

It's important to nail down what's really being asked here. 'Intelligence' can mean a lot of different things. Older folks tend to use their experience to make quick, intuitive decisions, and younger folks tend to adapt quickly to new ideas or ways of thinking. These are just different kinds of intelligence (experiential and rational).
There are several systems for classifying intelligence - I had only heard of the first one before today.
Be careful not to equate knowledge and intelligence. Even an idiot can memorize information, but it takes intelligence to put it to use. And let's not forget wisdom... wisdom and intelligence are closely related.
"Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad." (unknown)
So we have knowledge, intelligence, and wisdom. And multiple kinds of intelligence.

most kids are morons.  especially those from about 16-20 or 21...  they think they know it all and are very stubborn.  they cannot listen or even comprehend other viewpoints because they always think they are right.  i see it all the time. 

also, they don't know the simplest things that are supposed to be common sense.  some examples that come to mind... what is feces?  what are power windows?  this is coming from a 17 year old... my god..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yay Im 13...:D Kids are not morons...they are just kids...a normal kid basically is sort of sillier..you don't expect them to be mature do you? Even adults once had a FUN life...once..

I wouldn't say more intelligent, allthough modern technology those broaden the mind more than what our past had.That being said though, we have evolved, or thumbs through playing console games, and we have most likly evolved our fingers through typing on the internet, Intelligence, is porbably passed down through generations, there is no way of knowing that the latest generation will be smarter, as the genes of a less intelligent person come through.But the through intelligent people are the ones that become bored, and ofter confuse themselves by over complicating things, not the ones who study for hours on end to remember that 2+2 =4.Through talent is being able to learn something once, and never having to do it again..