xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
t3jem

Installing Glut To Dev

Hello, before I came to Xisto I had a series of GLUT programming tutorials at Xisto. Since then I have moved here and wanted to continue the series. As I am told I cannot just repost the tutorials here so I will put them into quotes until I start making new tutorials. I hope everyone will enjoy the tutorials I bring to this community.

Ok to get started.

Below are some instructions on installing GLUT, the tool we will be using to program in my tutorials. This was actually given to me back when I had a programming site and James deserves full credit for this tutorial. I hope you enjoy it.

Installing G.L.U.T. to Dev C++

By James Duran (email: vrok137@yahoo.com)

For those of you who do not have the $100 visual studio and cannot install glut, this is for you. Practically all the articles I read to install the glut files were designed for people who owned visual studio. So im gonna share with you how not only to install glut, but get a powerful IDE with it (Dev C++).

NOTE: If you already have Dev C++, skip to step 6.

1. Go to http://www.bloodshed.net/ (although the name sounds gory, the website is not)

2. Now that you are at the Dev C++ site, look for the "whats new" news tab. It should be right in the middle of the home page.

3. Click and follow the Dev C++ Beta link and download the program.

(get the latest version, v4.9.9.2)

NOTE: If you have a compiler but not an IDE, download the "executable only file". Otherwise download the file that includes Dev C++ plus the Mingw/GCC compiler.

4. Next choose a mirror site to download from.

(For dial-up users, try to pick a mirror site that is in the US or else your connection will be really weak. )

5. Install Dev C++.

6. Open Dev C++ and go to "Tools > Check for Updates/Packages". This should bring you to the update manager.

7. Click below the "Select devpack server" and select "devpacks.org community devpacks".

8. Now click "check for updates" at the bottom of the page. Once its done loading, scroll through the lists of packages until you find a glut package. Once you are ready, check the small box to the left of the name. Download it, and then the computer will install it automatically. Now you have opengl (opengl comes w/dev c++) and glut.

Once you download glut, dev c++ even does you a favor by creating a template for glut programs (isnt that cool!). To use the template, click the "multimedia" tab in the

"create a project" window. The glut template should be there for you to use.

Would GLUT be good for programming games, or would it be too slow or anything...Or does anyone know what the best package for DevC++ would be for making games? :unsure:

GLUT is good for games if you are planning on making a small game by yourself. If you plan on making a large game such as call of duty or something I would definitly suggest looking for another tool. GLUT makes the OpenGL API much easier and quicker to use. I'm teaching GLUT because it is easy to learn for the basics of OpenGL.

GLUT is good for games if you are planning on making a small game by yourself. If you plan on making a large game such as call of duty or something I would definitly suggest looking for another tool. GLUT makes the OpenGL API much easier and quicker to use. I'm teaching GLUT because it is easy to learn for the basics of OpenGL.

I have installed all of the glut stuff but I can't get any glut functions to work. I keep getting [Linker Error] undefined reference to 'glutSolidCube'