xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Unholy Prayer

Help With Css/html Layout Horizontal List Problems

I can't figure out why this horizontal list isnt working. Underneath my banner is supposed to be a green gradient bar with a list of links in the center of the page. The links are all the way to the left and are really small. The banner is also overlapping the list for some reason. This is my current layout(don't worry, I'm not trying to advertise).

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

This is my CSS file
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Thanks in advance for any help.

I don't see problem no text is overlaping anything else could you please elaborate your problem a bit more. Maybe put a screenshot and circle what should be where so I can see. Nice design though.

Edited by hitmanblood (see edit history)

To begin with, place the DocType Declaration as the first line in the file. Having it on the third line is causing 37 warnings on your page. Also, xhtml requires closing of the br tags , so replace them with "<br />".And what Browser are you using to view the page in?That is all we can do until you make the above changes. Post back here once these alterations are made, and the repairs can continue....

Woah your site is f'ed up. It looks fine if i bring my browser down to about 800 px wide but when its the standard 1900 px wide like i usualy have it, everything is all over the place. I hate websites like this. You should fix that!

Using tables for your layout is not recommended, and they can lead to all sorts of problems. You problem appears to be with the width of whatever is holding the main content (a DIV or table element) being a percentage, while the background image to the page dictates a fixed width. If you fix the width of the main content to be the same as the distance between the green gradient bars running down the middle of each side then it should look OK. However, using a fixed width will make people with smaller screen resolutions have problems, as opposed to people with larger screen resolutions having the problems at the moment.Other than that major problem, your copyright notice is off to the right slightly for some reason, and the green striped bar across the top extends a few pixels too far to the right. Follow jlhaslip's suggestions and then we'll see what else we can do. I'll also try and take a more detailed look over the code later.

the%20answer

Help With Css/html Layout

Try using html to center the links for example

<div align=middle>

<a href=https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=BwkjVKfAD8uH8QfckIGgCQ&gws_rd=ssl;

</div>

-html