xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
TaKeN

What Graphics Card Company Is Better? i want advise

i have quetsion i have to choose between 8800 GTX from nvidia company and Radeon? 9800 PRO 256MB from atii heard that both are good for games (3d and high graphics support) but what is the best?

I prefer nvidia. I have them myself. PciE card and it work like a charm. I have never had any problems with it overheating or getting errors and nvidia most always comes with a free game and come tools.

I had a nvidia on my old computer it was riva tnt2 great video card. The only thing was my computer was only 500mhz and it had like 128mb ram so i could not crank the graphics.The video card i have now is cheap it is a ati radeon xpress 200 and it is junk now i would not say that all ati cards are junk because of this because the xpress 200 is just the base card.I myself would get the nividia

It has been roven beyond doubt that NVIDIA messed up its Windoiws Vista drivers. SO if you are running that OS , then ATI would be better. With XP it would be much of a difference. Unless you may want SLI which is an NVIDIA offering.

The best graphics for cheap you should go with nvidia i had to get a new graphic card to play supreme commander i had bought a radeon graphics card but i was not able to play the game so i had to return it and i got a nvidia just for $80 more than the radeon one.

Dude, the 8800gtx is probably 20x faster than the 9800 pro... It's not even close to the same category as the nvidia card. You're trying to compares something that's like 3 or 4 years old with something brand new, never going to happen. Seriously, check out something like techreport.com or xbitlabs.com and get up to date with new video cards and cpus.

I think you should go for the Nvidia. I've heard something about ATI and the new direct x 10. Something about ATI goin to be better than Nvidia. But thats newer versions. Between the 2 you mentioned, go for Nvidia

From what I hear, with ATI you will get a sharper image, however nVidia will give you more of a smooth and brigther picture. In general, I would take a smooth and brighter picture over just s sharper image.

A 9800 over a 8800GTX? You know the price difference between the two is something like $400? Either way, I would still go with the 8800GTX. It's the best card I've ever used and a few of my friends have dual 8800s and their gaming experience is amazing.

Yea, the 2 cards you are trying to compare are in totally different ballparks. As for branding, I would stick with nVidia. We have been long time supporters of them, the SLI technology makes the difference. And look now, nVidia has DX10 cards out already and ATI is falling behind. The entire line of 8 series nVidia cards are DX10 supportive, something to consider if purchaing a new system.

Personally Nvidia, as it is a better chipset for running games on: though Ati is better for video decoding, movie editing, and movie watching, so it depends on what you prefer....though Ati do tend to be a bit cheaperPlus despite the denials, Ati chips are less reliable, as I have had several cases of Ati chips blowing, but none so far of Nvidia chipsets blowing!

I have both an nvidia and ati card. (do graphics, have two pc's) Bought em at the same time, wanted to get two geforces, but they only had one in stock, so i decided to get the same priced ati. Ati is a real *BLEEP*. The drivers are awkward to isntall. require re-installing coz they corrupt or something every once in a while. Using omega drivers helps, but not much. The control panel is stupid and the card freezes often too. I thought it might be the card(like a faulty on) so i had it exchanged, didn't help. Still games freeze. Like the sound goes on, but the video dosn't. Sometimes it comes back, sometimes not, so i jsut use my nvidia pc for gaming. My advice: Go with nvidia. they are trusted and experienced, and also made up of those who used to be at 3dfx :D good old Voodoo

Although this topic is a few months old I think I could be able to talk about it; since these two companies are good at what they do it would be a tough decision to figure out which one you want. I wouldn't give it a second thought and I would go with Nvidia because they are well known brand. However as I learned in my hardware class there is more then just a name brand, and so I have done some searching and found the following sites that review each graphics card your trying to decide. However, before I go over those reviews you have to remember several concepts; Cost Factor (how much do they cost), Compatibility Factor (will it work with my OS, Motherboard and other hardware, and Reliability Factor (can it handle the power from the power supply and not go into a meltdown).

Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX

Cnet Review

In this review they talk about how extreme this card can get when it comes to beefing the anti-aliasing and it seems it can handle the load better then one of ATI cards they used for this review. However, due to it's settings it requires your computer to have some power to it (power supply), they recommend at least 450 watts and of course dual core technology as well. Then of course cost the money factor comes in and at $600 it is a lot cheaper then the crossfire card which tops out at over $1,000, and as you can see it is a lot cheaper.

techspot review
guru of 3d

Radeon 9800 PRO 256MB

Cnet

Well Just coming from this review it I already can tell you Nvidia just won if you look at the date of the review this video card is over 4 years old compared to the 1 year on the Nvidia, so this card is already outdated and outclassed by time. I would make mention that this card had some tough competition against the Nvidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra card. So it is obvious from those two Cnet reviews that this card is outclassed in every way, but time was what the key factor was in trying to compare the two graphics cards.

I prefer NVIDIA because its graphic drivers don't suck as royally, especially in free and open source operating systems. People say they've improved, but I still say they haven't improved enough!

Edited by Tetraca (see edit history)

I have not used ATI anytime but there are issues with the NVIDIA cards I have used. At the higher end I dont think there would be much of a difference between the two> BUt with Vista ATI works better. As for SLi, ATI cards can also be used two at a time thanks to Crossfire. The only thing that should matter is price if you are using XP.