xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
delivi

Windows Vienna Next Version of Windows

Windows "Vienna" is the next version of Windows following Windows Vista and soon to be released Windows Longhorn Server.The next client version of Windows was originally codenamed "Blackcomb," though the company renamed it to "Windows Vienna" in early 2006 and to "Windows Seven" or "Windows 7" more recently. Microsoft currently plans to ship Vienna in 2009, about two to two and a half years after Vista. The next major release of Windows is expected two years after Vienna, in 2011.Features: Microsoft hasn't publicly committed to any features for Vienna and the company is currently still deciding what this next Windows release will look like. We do know a few things about Vienna, however: It will include a new version of Windows Explorer that is being built by the same team that designed the Ribbon user interface in Office 2007. It will likely include some form of the "Hypervisor" (Windows Virtualization) technologies that will ship shortly after Windows Server "Longhorn". It will also likely include the WinFS (Windows Future Storage) technologies, though they won't be packaged or branded as WinFS.Bill Gates said in a tech conference that the next OS will be more web centric and will have more usability features.

That's pretty cool. Glad to see they are always working on new upgrades. I don't think they really need to update the look but I guess they always could. As we advance further into the technological world, they will probably find plenty of new technology. The touch screen ThinkPad will probably become cheaper and in more laptops and might have even more capabilities with Vienna. I don't know though exactly about that. As for Vista, I'm happy with it right now and I don't think I'll spend more money for Vienna unless something spectacular comes out with it or I end up having to get another computer which hopefully I won't have to.

That's kinda fast. I guess Microsoft is gonna use their another cheating tactics. Blind all the users with cool interface like the one in Vista, making the customers tempting to waste their money and buy it, when the truth is there wasnt any significant improvements of Vista from XP, except for the cool interface though :unsure:

Windows "Vienna" is the next version of Windows following Windows Vista and soon to be released Windows Longhorn Server.
The next client version of Windows was originally codenamed "Blackcomb," though the company renamed it to "Windows Vienna" in early 2006 and to "Windows Seven" or "Windows 7" more recently.

Microsoft currently plans to ship Vienna in 2009, about two to two and a half years after Vista. The next major release of Windows is expected two years after Vienna, in 2011.

Features:

Microsoft hasn't publicly committed to any features for Vienna and the company is currently still deciding what this next Windows release will look like. We do know a few things about Vienna, however: It will include a new version of Windows Explorer that is being built by the same team that designed the Ribbon user interface in Office 2007. It will likely include some form of the "Hypervisor" (Windows Virtualization) technologies that will ship shortly after Windows Server "Longhorn". It will also likely include the WinFS (Windows Future Storage) technologies, though they won't be packaged or branded as WinFS.

Bill Gates said in a tech conference that the next OS will be more web centric and will have more usability features.

Wow, microsoft is really coming out with all these new windows versions and really fast. How long ago did Vista come out??? Not long ago thats for sure. Well where did you hear about this new windows. And what exactly do you know about this new windows. I mean is it the same desktop and such as vista or has it improved. One would think that its better than Vista but maybe it just focuses on one thing because they are releasing these really fast. Of course I'm sticking with Altimit.

If this is true, I don't see the purpose of Vista in the first place, a replacement OS for 2 years before Vienna? 5 million of codes for nothing? Ripping Mac's interface and creating such a huge hype all for nothing? Be it Vista, Vienna or Venice, I am definitely not going into Windows. The Mac is my only choice now, and though I am using Windows now, it will not last long before I switch on my desktop. Nonetheless, on my laptop I will continue using Windows because that is what majority of the workforce in Singapore use, they are not very Mac-inclined too.

Lol, lets not get started about ripping... But in my opinion it feels a little too early to already start on another version, they should wait a while and let the industry invent new things so that way by the time this Vienna really comes out it wont already be outdated. I mean they're coming out with new things everyday, seen that new gaming device that reads your brainwaves? But when it comes down to it for me, I like my OSX and am eagerly awaiting Leopard. :unsure:

Microsoft has started preparing for the next OS even before Vista was released.The current kenel of Windows Vista will be replaced by a new kernel which will more stable. The new kernal will replace the current Vista by the Vista Service Pack 1, which will be released along with Windows Longhorn server

I think that they are killing Vista with this announcement. I really dont feel like upgrading to Vista anytime soon, and know that I know that there will be another Operating System coming from them in about 2 years, Ill probably wait until then. I have no need to install Vista right now.. there is no application that requires it yet, that I use. Actually If I install Vista I would have to wait for the programs that I normally use, to be upgraded by their developers in order for them to be able to work in Vista. Besides, it eats more resources that I need for the programs I use.

I think Micro$oft should first make Vista work properly, and then start planning another release... And as some people here said, I doubt it will be something spectacular... Just a bunch of visual effects, and no practical improvement...An, as Vista has security flaws dating back to Windows 95, I'm sure this Vienna or however they will call it, contain the sam flaws, because I doubt anyone at Micro$oft writes things from scratch... And that's what they sould do... Sacrifice a year or two, and vreate a brand new kernel, not just copy/paste code.... Any software developer will tell you that copy/paste code is the worst kind of code...But, I guess we'll see in due time...

I was reading that Microsoft plans on completely rebuilding the code from scratch. The were saying that the current libraries that were reused over the years hog too many resources. It should be interesting nevertheless. But I do agree, it's too soon to be announcing their next project, they should focus on Vista and get that working better before attempting a full rebuild.

Vienna is supposed to be a radically different version of windows. Vista was an enhanced version of XP. The difference is while certain applications would make xp look like vista, they woul ot be able to do the same with vista and vienna. But considering fell short of expectations with vista after 5 years, hopefully they will do much better this time. I don't want a Windows that looks better than XP but functions a bit worse than XP. It shuts down and starts sow and generally works slow.

I think that it is nice but I hope that they will not move deadlines as they did with longhorn and then with the vista. It would be cool to know something more about its new features. And furthermore this new guy running microsoft is more cool then Bill Gates and he will work on making new family atmosphere and it should increase their productivity.