xisto Community
csp4.0

The Meaning Of Time?

Yes, I was wandering the other day, what did time mean? how did we know about time? what is the real definition of time?Does anyone know? because my teacher was discussing time the other day and talked about how time began with the big bang and stuff you probably already know. But when a student asked the teacher 'what is time' even the teacher became confused. So gave us the honor of finding out what time really is

I believe time is the fourth dimension in which matter as we know it moves. We can easily move in three directions of space, but time we have yet to freely move around yet. We constantly move down the axis of time; however, Einstein created the theory that you can slow down time by moving very fast in the first three dimension, it has yet to be proven though. So, thats what I think time is, hope this helps.

Time...is some weird stuff...at least in my opinion. It's interesting to discuss things like these but it's pretty useless as well. And time, hm, well, it started with Super nova (or how the big boom that created space was called?). So..time started then..Ok...but maybe we count the time wrong? I mean, we think we do it right but maybe we're doing it wrong. Time travel..I think I've heard something about Einsteins theory but I've heard that there's a theory which tells if you move very fast (light speed or something..don't remember) you could move back or forwards in time. I remember watching this science guy talking about this on tv... And I don't think that people should mess with time. Changing past would change the present and...well...it couldn't always be better....Anyways, sorry for being pretty numb and dumb..I'm sleeeepy :unsure:

Yes, people shouldn't change time by building time machines and stuff like that, because if you kill even one person by accident the future would be changed forever. Who knows maybe time doesn't exist, maybe it's just an abstract concept created by man?

I believe time is just a unit of measurement, and it began in its first complex form with the Greeks and the water hydraulics they used to move the gears that followed the planets that they could see at different intervals of time.The moon was used for the months and the sun was used for the days and eventually a calender was devised for accurate time telling.The sun has been used since the dawn of time for telling time and bringing life as science will vouch for.Although opinion differ on exactly how the universe formed the questions left unanswered both on the scientific level and biblical level, leaves only one way for the true answer to be defined by the studies of the person themselves.Time is also defined in many different ways as with the definition of the time people and places that have been around x amount of time.For example would be that the United States is currently on the year 2007 and I am quite sure that China has been around for about 4000 years.

Hm, yea, time telling with help of sun....That means that if there's some life out there (And there has to be because it would be stupid to think that we are the only ones that can think etc. in the whole space) they tell time different. So basically we are telling time only for our galaxy...

maybe time doesn't exist, maybe it's just an abstract concept created by man?

My thoughts exactly. Time in my opinion is simply a measurement of how much can happen before something else happens, eg a second represents how much could happen before the second hand moves on a clock.

The reason i think its more of a made up concept is because if our brains worked twice as fast in doing things then surely time would seem to go half as fast. Because what we could have done in a minute we could now do in just 3O seconds and because our brains are what give us the sense of time it would effectively slow time down. and there is no zero point for a time measurement, because if the whoe universe was to speed up we would never know. but i guess thats like most measurements.

The reason i think its more of a made up concept is because if our brains worked twice as fast in doing things then surely time would seem to go half as fast.

Au contraire, time is not just an abstract concept created by man, like money (or money values) or language. In truth, it's transit is "felt" even by non-sentient objects like the minutest of subatomic particles.

I'm sure you have heard of some of Einstein's theory. I do remember one (can't remember the name, though, time dilation, I think?) that basically states that the faster an object goes, the slower time "runs" for it. At first, I was just as skeptical that maybe it was just an inaccurate observation caused by imperfect human instruments. This, I did ask my Physics teacher.

He replied that some exotic particles have a fixed lifespan before decaying into smaller, more stable subatomic particles. These "lifespans" often last for nary a nanosecond. However, sensors, even at ground level, can detect such particles hurtling in from space. This is a strong evidence for the aforementioned theory. Were "time" indeed just an imaginary concept, then it should have no effect on matter. On the contrary, it "slowed down" for those particles, delaying their decay, thus enabling them to reach us here.

I'm sure some of you have heard of the equation explaining Time Dilation. For everyday objects with normal speeds, that equation approximates Newtonian physics. Only for those hurtling at fractions of the speed of light does that equation begin "slowing down" time, which, I have hopefully convinced you, is not a human construct.

It would appear, on the equation, that speeds equal or beyond that of light is impossible. However, the limit as one approaches the speed of light appears to put the object in stasis, in other words, "freezes" that object in time. I was wondering myself if electrons moved at the speed of light and that if they were to be "stopped", they'd dissipate into something else far more smaller than what our instruments could detect. I do remember my physics teacher telling me that one cannot know an electron's position and direction at the same; maybe that has something to do with it?

There are also other theories that say certain particles, called tachyons, moving faster than the speed of light also move "back" in time. The tachyon realm is supposedly one where the effect precedes the cause.

Oh, in any case, I'm having a headache just thinking about it now. It's the wee hours of the morning over here, by the way. Just so you know, though, time is real :unsure:

As i see it, time is the one moving and you're "standing still," for we are always in the present from our point of view, unless we mentally change how we see the world. You can only claim such a thing as "the future" if you consider the present as "the past". And you can only claim such a thing as "the past" if you view the present as "the future." If present-past, then future. If present-future, then past. Literally, you're always in the present, but mentally is where things change.

[hr=noshade] [/hr]

Einstein created the theory that you can slow down time by moving very fast in the first three dimension

Or it could just appear to look that way. I mean, if you're going faster than everyone, then of course it's everything is gonna go slower than normally perceived. But this is my way of looking at it; me and my feeble mind. :(

[hr=noshade] [/hr]

Yes, people shouldn't change time by building time machines and stuff like that, because if you kill even one person by accident the future would be changed forever.

Unless you go back in time to stop yourself from killing a person. But who knows what the "consequences" for meeting yourself is. But then again, you might not even have killed anyone in the first place! Because your future self stopped you from doing it! Yourself was ahead of yourself!—in a sense. :unsure:

Time is really confusing. Yes if we all had a brain equivalent to 5x core 2 extreme QX6800s then time would seem so slow for us, because our current brain to us would seem like 'normal' time, but if we were to implant 5x core 2 extremes ... into somebody's brain hen to that person, time would seem soooo... slow, like a few seconds for us might seem like a few minutes for that guy. Because our brain's processing power may or may not process slower or faster, because information we see would be processed faster

I think that time is unit of measurement, like reelkill. Speeding up time is possible, but only be travel, because time is measured by distances. It is hard to explain what I mean. I think that time is measured by how events occur in sequence in the universe. For example, 24 hours is the time it takes planet earth to turn 360 degrees, and a year is how long it takes for earth to move around the sun once. So all things to do with time are based off of those measurements. And it is possible to go through time by traveling at a very high speed. But it is not possible to speed up time itself.

I WISH I ha a time machine.Anyway the answer to your question is a pretty tough one. I've thought about it for quite a while (way before reading this post) and never really understood what it is. Time is just the concept used to explain night and day. The post above me had a similar answer to what I was thinking. IT's quite a confusing hought but to define time one way or another would be hard.

Or it could just appear to look that way. I mean, if you're going faster than everyone, then of course it's everything is gonna go slower than normally perceived.

Like I said, perception has nothing to do with it. Non-sentient particles also "feel" these effects. Time dilation is not an illusion but a reality :unsure:

Well, 'nuff said.

My belief is that God was before time. Therefore according to me some elements are earthly made like time, space( i mean land space or anything that occupies volume). As for the big bang i really believe in it as Iam a muslim i believe that God created this world for the sole purpose as man. This is my reply and i really hope you learn something from it.

Time is your Frame of reference.100 years to you is your lifetime.40 days is for a bee.A Bee is said to be hundred times faster than a human. Well, so If you were a bee and I told you, you would live for 100 years. You can as well call yourself immortal in the bee kingdom. So, time which is basically supposed to be constant is perceived by 2 species very differently. For one its fast, for other its slow.