xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

2 Internet Records Broken In Terms Of Speed

Although not big news in the sense that it would eventually happen in the near future but big news in the sense that it is possible to get that kind of speed. T0 start some of hte previous records were 6.96 gbps and 8.88, but In just 2 days a team at the university of Tokyo set the record with a blazing 9.08 gbps (giga bytes per second) just a day after hitting a 7.67 gbps. This is the trip that this 9.08 gbps did

The first record-breaking transmission took place on December 30. The 20,000-mile roundtrip path, using standard TCP, began and ended in the NTT building in Tokyo. The second one took place the next day, on New Year's Eve, over the same path but using modified TCP.
The path crossed six international networks, and covered 75 percent of the Earth's circumference. The overall network used IPv6 and three routers. A dual Xeon (Woodcrest) server was used as the sender and receiver in both tests, with the data traveling from Tokyo to Chicago, Amsterdam, and Seattle before returning.

Nearing th

If I remember correctly the T1 -T4 lines are like 1, 2 , 3 ,4 gbps a piece. But of course in order to have one of those lines you need to have a lot of money. But to think that a average user having a connection like that, lag would be non existing in the sense you would never know it was there. they also mention that they plan to build a 100 GBPS network which I saw go right a head that would mean everyone could see a bigger increase in their connection speed when this system is put into place.

EDIT: I have been corrected on the T1 line speeds, T1 line is 1.5 Mbps and so T2, T3, and T4 lines would be in the same area as well in terms of Mbps.

SOURCE
HERE
Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

Well Caltech sustained 101 Gbps from Pittsburgh to LA in 2004.

Though the University of Tokyo did it over a longer distance, Caltech's record blows them out of the water.

I guess Caltech has the network that the University of Tokyo plans to set up already functional. Awesome.

My networks professor said that in North Korea home users already have internet with up to 1 terabyte in speed. She is from Russia so I don't believe she has personally experienced it... I can't even imagine it... sigh. :unsure:

Amazing to see new advancements in technology, especially internet speeds. I wonder how long it would take to implement that into "normal people's" lifes. How long it will take for actual people to get speeds like that. That'd be amazing, haha.

Wow, and I'm happy with 400 MB a second. I don't get much lag as it is but that'd be amazing. Before you can blink a webpage will be up for a download would be finished. Sure it will be expensive though to buy as well. I'll wait a year or two and when the 1000 GBPS comes out then I'll go for the 100 or 10 GBPS, that is, if they come out with it soon. Once again technology is running away from us and we are finding bigger and better things, or in some cases smaller and faster.

Man hope it goes mainstram soon. I hate the high broadband rices we have to ay nowadays. If such seeds can be had on the currentlu oular adsl cable it would be damn good. I currently use a 160 kbps connection that is so slow during the day and just good at night. But i cant watch youtube as much as i want to. Nor can i see HD video trailers.

Well I am happy with 8mbs it is not much but it works for me out. However I have did some checking about this and the real record should be this one from japan as it includes several servers and line all over the world. I was just reading article on that several days ago with pictures and so on. However both results look great qwouldn't you say. It is interesting that there aren't any results from europe laboratories.

I currently have 4 Megabytes per Second internet connection and this is fast enough for all the things i wish to do on the internet such as surfing forums, downloading etc. Any increased speed on my internet connection i dont think would make a visable difference accept for a increased download speed obtained. These speeds although impressive are also rediculous, why would anyone need a 9+ Gigabyte per second connection speed. You could download my entire pc hard-drive filled up with files with that connection in a matter of a few minutes.Patrick

Well this is obviously a step towards the future. In my opinion, eventually our entire hard drives will be stored online and our computers will only essentially be a connection to the Internet. This will obviously make it necessary to download gigabytes of data at a time. I currently have a 2mb connection and it's good enough for now, the only limit I have is a download limit of 15gb which you obviously have to watch out for. No more is needed to be honest, as loads of sites have an outward connection of 2mb or 1mb just like a home connection, which would make no difference at all.

Edited by Robbie.Knox (see edit history)

I have a 1 mb connection, Im really happy with it, I can open many webpages at the same time in Firefox.. I cant imagine What I would do with 4 or 8 mb. I would need a really huge hard drive for that, high definition media is going to rule in the internet. I hardly even use my tv anymore.

my connection is only 512kbps :)" not too happy with it...cant wait for newer technology and better internet speeds = ) then i'd be able to download my files and stuff blazing fast and wouldn't have to leave my computer on as long xD sometimes when i download files, i have to leave my comp on for days just for the download to complete...

Well this is obviously a step towards the future. In my opinion, eventually our entire hard drives will be stored online and our computers will only essentially be a connection to the Internet. This will obviously make it necessary to download gigabytes of data at a time. I currently have a 2mb connection and it's good enough for now, the only limit I have is a download limit of 15gb which you obviously have to watch out for. No more is needed to be honest, as loads of sites have an outward connection of 2mb or 1mb just like a home connection, which would make no difference at all.

This is really interesting idea and principle in fact and it might open new branch of computer and information technology industry in a sense that we would have companies writing software for it and companies which would renta hard drives. However the problem which would be hardly to surpass is that you have consider security isssues and in this process I think that this way of working things out is that they might be feasible for small personal computers and not companies with data which needs to be protected and so on.