xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
srujanlive

Ubuntu Or Kubuntu What is the difference

There are several Linux distros but now the most sought after are Ubuntu and kubuntu. I have used Ubuntu but not Kubuntu. All I wanted to know is whether there is difference between these two distros other than the colour of the GUI. If there are any users who have used both of them, could you please help me out?

Ubuntu and Kubuntu are essentially the same operating system. The only difference is that Ubuntu uses Gnome as the window manager and Kubuntu uses KDE. Ubuntu can be converted to Kubuntu and vice verca through the installation of a few packages. The only main difference is the software you use on each version. Kubuntu uses certain software, while Ubuntu uses other versions. Pretty much every piece of Ubuntu software has a Kubuntu equivalent, so you will not be left without any functionality, whatever your choice. The main difference you will see regularly is the package manager. Kubuntu uses Adept, while Ubuntu has Synaptic. I, personally, prefer Adept, and the look of KDE, and therefore went for Kubuntu.The debate of KDE vs Gnome and Kubuntu vs Ubuntu has raged since they existed, and will continue for a very long time. The only way to decide is personal preference. Look at screenshots and videos, and if you cna download both a Kubuntu and Ubuntu live CD then try both out.

Hey I am on windows right now. I was wondering if Linux was better. If it is, please tell me 'cause I might want to download it. Thanks for the info now I know I will get the one with a "K" at the start (Can't spell them).

Ubuntu, is the main Linux OS distro, Kubuntu is its variation using KDE for the desktop. Its pretty much the same thing. What I don't understand is why The Ubuntu people can't allow people to simply select between Gnome and KDE, at installation, it would save a lot of confusion.

i am using ubuntu but i cant seem to get my broadcom wireless card to work in iti found some other forums and 9 out of 10 people tried to get it working but couldent.i was thinking of changing to kubuntu but it just doesnt seem much betteri think i am going to totally get rid or ubuntu and get OpenSuSE i heer its alot better. i'm not sure but i also heer its better fr the wireless card and that the broadcom card works in it. :):(:) :) oh wel good luck with that:(

Ubuntu and Kubuntu run off the same basic system - they just look different, so switching from one to the other wouldn't help solve any hardware problems. The Ubuntu Forums contain some useful information about getting Broadcom hardware up and running, although I do not know how up-to-date it is.

I have also recently been looking at OpenSuse after Kubuntu started killing my hard disk drive :) OpenSuse seems to have much better hardware support overall, so it looks like it could be a good bet. For example, Kubuntu required downloads and some editing of config files to get the right resolution on my laptop screen. OpenSuse correctly detected it and got the right screen resolution first time.

Hey I am on windows right now. I was wondering if Linux was better. If it is, please tell me 'cause I might want to download it. Thanks for the info now I know I will get the one with a "K" at the start (Can't spell them).

Download Kubuntu/Ubuntu or any other Linux distro which might interest you now!

And I do seriously mean this, the experience is so good and you'll just realize how crappy Windows XP or even Vista is! And the Vista Aero interface is nothing in front of some of the ones Linux has, check out the videos on YouTube, they are the real evidence!

*slaps self* I am so lazy I cannot even install Ubuntu, I mean the DVD is right next to me! :)

Well, if you have XP Home, yes, Linux will probably be better, though some hardware isn't supported. If you have a properly setup XP Pro(and chances are you will have to tweak it to make it properly setup), the only advantage Linux will bring you is better multilingual support and better fancy effects that sap processor power just as much as XP or Vista. Personally I hate useless effects. In addition, the software you want isn't always on Linux - Flash Player 9 was only released for x86 processors, and Shockwave doesn't even have a Linux port. Linux has a good base, but it cripples what you can do because it isn't as widely recognized (GIMP still has a terrible interface compared to Fireworks, Shockwave doesn't work, et cetera).
You have everything you need to have a secure XP Pro installation pre-installed(LU accounts, and DEP. Use those in conjunction with a router and a strong password and you are good to go).