xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sweet_princess

Know About Any Free And Legal Music Downloads?

Ok, so I've searched around a lot on the internet, maybe a bit too much, for a site that will let me download free music that is licensed.Unfortunately, I haven't found that perfect site yet, but I'm pretty sure that one of you guys might know about some sites. The funny thing is that millions of people download free music on the internet and have no idea that they're breaking the law, but that won't be an excuse if you get busted!So please help me!!

Edited by sweet_princess (see edit history)

...I haven't found that perfect site yet...

And i don't think you ever will. These artists and bands want to get paid for their work—just like everyone else; it's the whole reason they started, to make a living off of it. The most you'll probably find is a freebie song (at maybe Mp3.com)—and chances are it's not the song you want. You can purchase songs on iTunes if you want. Each song is only a dollar; you can spare a dollar, right?

iTunes offers free downloads every week. There's a little of everything, so check back every week to see what they're letting you download this time.Amazon.com's Music section has a free MP3 download area. You probably aren't going to get your hands on the upcoming Tori Amos album that way (just an example), but more than a few popular artists have uploaded some of their songs to the site. emusic.com lets you have a free trial if you have a credit/debit card. Just remember to cancel the trial before they bill the card.You can stream all sorts of stuff for free via iTunes and other programs, but that doesn't really help you if you want to load your MP3 player or burn a CD or something like that.

I have several solutions for you.

I know of http://mp3.com/ and download.com But all the other ones I know of are illegal.

You can download songs from CDs onto your computer.

And there is of course iTunes, which isn't free, but it is legal.

You can ask your friends, if they have songs you like, to download the songs from their computers onto a CD and then give the CD to you, for you to download the songs onto your computer. This is illegal though.

And you can go to AOL Music - they let you listen to some free songs and watch free music videos. If you were some computer mastermind you could figure out a way to manipulate AOL into downloading the songs that they let you listen to for free, but this of course would be: illegal. (I think.)

Edited by seez (see edit history)

use http://www.limewire.com/. its actually a program, but for the most part it is legal, as long as you dont download movies. they have articles that i have read to make sure it was legal, mainly in PC World. As far as i know that is the best free songs you can get. its quite easy to get on an mp3 player from there.

The best way would be to search the Artists site, sometimes they offer some songs for free. Or you cud search Youtube for the song and sload the accompanying video. Then extract the audio from the video. OR Illegally use torrents.EDIT: I forgot, you cud also search for the songs on Pandora or Last.fm, or anyother similar radio-ish site for songs, and extract them. The Web is filled with pages telling you how to do it. Just Google it.

Edited by zachwyler (see edit history)

In this world most people wish to get paid and get paid a profit for the job which they carry out. Going by this theory i would expect that there is a very limited supply of free legal music available to download on the internet. Unless it is a new up and coming band which is releasing free singles just for the promotion which it will develop although i have seen free singles available on websites such as Bon Jovi although it is not normally the whole feature song but instead a 30 second clip for the user to get a taster of the song and hopefully be encouraged to purchase the single or the whole album when it is released.The likeliness of a highly rated band releasing free singles onto the internet for legal downloads is therefore remotely low if it exists at all.I wish you luck in your search for this free legal material although i would not waste your time doing so.If you do come across such a site however make sure you post it on here for all to see, Patrick

You won't come across any free download sites, purely for the reason that bands will want to make a profit. But there are several sites that will allow you to stream songs for free.I'm not sure if this is 100% correct but try searching for 'Radio Blog' (I remember my friend telling me about this recently). Here you can stream music I think.If not, you could always search for the video on YouTube or similar or go to a legal site such as Yahoo! Music or AOL Music where you can watch music videos for free also.

I know a little trick that gets me quite alot of music for free.
Now, by reading this im not to be held responsible if you use this trick to download illegal music then get caught.

Open Google.com and type in:

intitle:"Index of /" "server at *" (".mp3"|".wma"|".wav") "song"

I'll break that down for you.
Google, like most decent search engines, have built in search functions that allow the user to narrow down the search to specific parts of a page.

Notice the first part of the search query above: ' intitle:"Index of /" '
It looks for webpages with "Index of /" in the title, its not much on its own but place it with "server at *" and it will find directories on webservers which are unprotected by an index file allowing someone to view the entire contacts. People tend to place personal stuff such as mp3s & documents in places like this.

The next segment of the search query is: ' (".mp3"|".wma"|".wav") '
this one looks for webpages that contain ".mp3" and/or ".wma" and/or ".wav" which increases the likelyhood of finding an audio file.

The last segment of the query is: ' "song" '
This is where you insert the song or artist of the song which you are looking for, if you get little or no results, try removing the quotes around the song/artist.

Remember: Im not to be held responisble if you get caught doing this to find illegal music.

I dont think that you'll find any free but legal download unlimiteed websites.All i know is that - what ever you buy (mars bar, crunchie,etc.) that has free music sticker on it , you can download free from there, usually cheaper than actually buying a pre-paid card - iTunes usually realeases a song free of charge every week for you too download, (to be honest, i never heard of them songs and dont like them :l) - download.com usually have some songs available for download for free. - Theres some artists official page usualy have a download link so it lets you download their songs with their permission for free. Thats all i know ... Hope i helped you alot :)

There's a new file sharing program which is legal and i read about it in the paper. http://www.qtrax.com/ it works with Record labels, and that how its legal... I'm a mac user and the beta release for mac isn't out until mid march... but the windows one is. Check it out

As far as I know, if you live in Canada, it is not illegal to download music, but it is illegal to upload... however... you should still support the artists... and piracy laws etc. can still affect you... I think...