xisto Community
keri-j

My Thoughts On Why Internet Explorer Is So Popular.

I see little point in the "What browser do you use?" topic except to discuss the pros and cons of different browsers.

It's obvious that most people will use Internet Explorer because almost all computers that are bought for people or sold to them are pre-loaded with Some version of Windows, in which the only browser is Microsoft's own, Internet Explorer. And since a big proportion of first-time computers users are not so computer savvy and do not become so because they do not really need to, they will use what they are given.

In the internet Cafe I am typing from, a few of the (Windows 2000/XP) computers have Mozilla Firefox installed on them, most likely by Firefox enthusiasts, and I see that almost all of the people who use the computers use Internet Explorer, because they will stick to what they know.

Now I, I was lucky enough to have friends that use Firefox and being the wannabe non-conformist that I am, I rejected IE and installed Firefox, and since then have always thought of IE as a product of "The Man". I am also close to ditching Windows all together, and going with Linux... But anyway, I digress.

It has recently come to my attention that computer company Dell will be giving the option of having either Linux or Windows Vista pre-installed on the computer systems it sells, giving Mozilla Firefox and other good browsers a chance.

I hope this has been fairly interesting for someone, and I strongly encourage people to download and try Mozilla Firefox, a great (free!) browser. Get Firefox.

Edited by keri-j (see edit history)

Honestly You have it totally correct, the reason IE is so popular is because "most" pc's come with Windows Installed which naturally comes with IE. People who about firefox but dont want to mess around with there computer's. I think if Dell do give the option of either Linux or windows, IE will still be ahead of the other's because people do not know what Linux is, Everyone know's what windows is.I Also Highly Advise downloading Firefox

Came prepacked with most PCs, would be one major reason why IE is so popular. Although the rise of 'Netscape Mk 2' (aka Firefox) is one thing. Interestingly enough when the internet actually went commercial in the mid 90s, Netscape started as the leading Internet Browser before Internet Explorer eventually took over for numerous reasons.But as for operating systems, its interesting if Dell does go with the options of either packaging PCs with either Windows Vista or Linux.. but a computer 'n00b' would have no idea what linux is.

I like to use IE, and since I'm the only one who seems to prefer it over FireFox (and who's posted ;)) I'll give my view on it:Pros:*I seem to like it more than firefox because it just seems less "crowded". I've tried FF and even Opera, but they seemed to have too many toolbars.* The obvious one, because it's what was installed ;) Less messing about :)* The font size. I don't know why, but it's probably coz I've used it so much and I'm used to it now, but the "Smaller" font is what I prefer, and in FF/Opera, I couldn't get the font size the same, and it bugged me :D* And, also slightly said above, because it's what I've used for ages, so I'm used to it.Cons:* It's security/pop-up blocking is quiet poop, but you can always get firewalls/anti-viri/pop-up blockers, but it is more hassle.* "It's noobish". Now, I'm not saying this, but alot of people will "burn" you because, since you use IE, you must be a noob/microsoft fan boy (Off topic: Anyone who feels that way...Do you have to be an Apple fan-boy if you own an Ipod? Or maybe you just like it coz it's a good MP3 player? Idiots ;)). So if your "image" is important to you, then it'd be a bad thing to use IEThat's how I feel anyways :D

the simple fact is, most people don't know any better so they just make do with what they have. ;)

if some people consider firefox as the "alternative" browser, i consider it as my "principal" browser. IE comes third to me (Opera being the second ;)).

Most paople dont know other browsers exist. That would be it.

Most people would be at least computer literate to know that there are at least other alternatives.. eg Mac Users, and even newbs who has a friend or a few that is computer literate would at least introduce them to their preferred browser (which in many cases would be firefox if not IE).

Okay, you all seem to think IE is so popular, but at least among the demographic that visits my site, there are nearly as many people use firefox as people who use IE, so Firefox is definately becoming more popular and IE less so... Internet Explorer isn't as popular as it used to be. More people are using firefox now because it's simply better. People still use firefox because it comes with their computers, but people are getting smarter.

Well until now i am still using IE :)But it doesnt make me a noob hehehe...but sometimes i use FireFox if im developing a website.. just to check what it will look like in different browser.One of my reason why I am not using FF right now is Im used to IE. I am familair on how it works and its buttons andmenus. Until there is a very good reason like security problem or some serious problem or there are some damaging bug in IE I will use FF. But for now I will be using IE. ;) Its not becuase I love it, its becuase Im used to it and it works. Its the same with OS, im a programmer but im not using Linux or FreeBSD which is free. My reason is, most of my clients uses WIndows (Stores, Internet Cafe, Video Rental, Pharmacy etc) so there is no point of using Unix family of OS. Windows maybe crappy sometimes or almost of the time but it works and it is the most common OS. In my opinion Mac/Apple is bad idea as a complete system for market.. but the upcoming IPhone is cool. ;)

I would have to agree with the threadstarter. Until a few years ago, I didn't pay much attention to other browsers with the exception of Netscape Navigator because most machines have IE pre-installed. Now, I use Firefox and Netscape primarily over IE. What browser is best depends on an individual's preferences.

After seeing a quick update in a computer magazine, it seems that only HP (Hewlett Packard I think) will be selling PCs with Linux pre-installed after Dell chickened out, and HP will only be doing so on a small scale anyway. I think Dell's decision was sucky from a personal point of view, but obviously a good one from a business point of view. I mean, who's going to buy in to an Operating System they don't know about? Most people I know don't know that there's an alternative to Windows that isn't Mac.

If you support Linux being pre-installed on PCs, it seems that the only thing you can do is go out there and inform people of Linux's existentce and how good it really is. Telling them you can boot from a live CD without getting rid of or damaging Windows would be a very good thing if you explain it well or show them yourself, because that kind of task can seem quite daunting to a computer newbie.

I think all of you n00bs which still continue to use IE should learn a bit about standards and coding with standards on your mind and how IE breaks them with its rendering which is full of flaws and because of which lots of people must make separate CSS stylesheets for IE6 and IE7 just because they don;t follow the standards whch are set by W3. I mean, yeah, people don't know of nothing when they buy a PC, but continuing to use IE even if you know it's worse than other browser, but continue to use it only because you are used to it is very stupid.

You should definitively switch and make MS think of how many people stopped using it's stupid crappy old browser which CSS rendering (of the 7th ver) can be compared with Opera 6 which's first beta came out 5 years ago!

Stop using the poorly coded browser. Just STOP!

Well sad to say though that Internet Explorer 8 is here to fix all those problems with standards, however, with XHTML 2 and HTML 5 on the horizon it won't matter much as all major browsers will have to go through a update to get those two standards to work. Of course, Opera and Firefox have begin to implement some XHTML 2 and HTML 5, not all but some, in order for programmers and designers to get an idea how it will work and see what changes need to be made.