xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BuffaloHelp

New Custom Bbcode [table] much needed tag

Hello Xisto members,

After reviewing members' signatures, I believe TABLE tag is needed in our forum as well. The usage is the same as the regular HTML code:

[table=1][tr][td]column 1[/td][td]column 2[/td][/tr][/table]

will show:

column 1 column 2

Table column's width is predefined. To avoid unnecessary forum format distortion please limit per column content to fit the forum width. Table=1 option is needed to create table outline. You may use 0 to omit this option.

[table=0][tr][td]column 1[/td][td]column 2[/td][/tr][/table]

will show:

column 1 column 2

[hr=noshade]UPDATE on TD bbcode tags[/hr]

Additional TD tags called TDDASHED and TDSOLID were added to give optional table column border with width in pixels, such that following codes will show

[table=1][tr][tddashed=2]something[/tddashed][tddashed=1]something else[/tddashed][/tr][/table]
something something else

[table=0][tr][tdsolid=1]something[/tdsolid][tdsolid=3]something else[/tdsolid][/tr][/table]
something something else

Notice that by omitting table border width, you can create some different effects.

Mix it up!

Xisto within dashed Xisto within solid

Ah! Tables! Finally, i've been waiting for this! ;) And, yes, perfect for signatures. ;)Question, though: Will there be an added feature where we will be able to have colspans and rowspans?

Will there be an added feature where we will be able to have colspans and rowspans?

Within the TABLE tag or separately?

I have modified the table to be at 100% with table columns as 50% Would you mean to specify user's own colspan and rowspan?

i just wanted to see how this table thing is going to act when you write lot's of text it's just that right now i don't have any idea on what text to write ;) and to see how it works for thicker border and 3 columns
nice work on tables bb code. here's how it works for 3 columns. 3rd one is not aligning properly. with the code i wrote. maybe i typed something wrong, or is this how it's ment to be? anyway nice work, good for presentations too.. ;)

Ah, yes... I didn't expect for 3 column design. Since I limited to 50% per TD, it's natural that the 3rd and additional TDs would show like that.Hummm... I wonder how we can solve this situation.UPDATE:Alright, I believe I have fixed the equal division problem. So that, either used two columns, three or more, it should divide equally.

column A column B
column A column B column C
column A column B column C column D
Additional thought: should you have the option to have table column border as well?Additional problem: it does not work under IE6!

By default as rendered in the browser, the TD's should evenly divide themselves—no need to predefine the width for each TD; so long as the table has a predefined width.

Within the TABLE tag or separately?

Within the TD tags (which, i guess, would be inside the TABLE tag, in a sense), just like regular HTML.

I would like to make the table to fit 100% width of the forum, so that in 800x600 or 1024x768 screen resolution can see the forum nice and clean lined. If we all had 1024x768 or higher resolution I would not even worry about the width of the forum format. But that isn't the case. ;)As you can see, until I change it, when table width isn't specified it reduces to as compact as possible under Firefox.Which is another problem: making all browsers to show it exactly the same. Gosh, I wonder why I decided to make this one in the first place...

Additional thought: should you have the option to have table column border as well?

Yes, borders will be good for when support for tables within a table is implemented.[hr=noshade]

Gosh, I wonder why I decided to make this one in the first place...

So far, this new bbcode has helped better organize my sig space. ;)[/hr]

Alrighty then ;)Until I can find a way to fix cross browser incompatibly, the current code will stand. I hope the people with 800x600 resolution would understand this issue for now.IE6 shows correctly whether the content is filled or not.FF2 shows compacted when the content is short or small.Opera9 shows compacted just like FF2.

Would it be possible if any for the user to add styles to the tables through a series of bbcodes to change the border color, set up a header similar to the note bbcode, make the borders thicker or dashed, and a background color with in the table? I believe thier was a bbcode that was used that when put in you could set up a background color against the text.

Hey, nice work on tables ;). Well personaly i don't think that column borders are must-have, and i know how it's .... hard to make borders work on all browsers.

BuffaloHELP, did you maybe think of maybe using float: left; div tags for this thingy. I think that jlhaslip, since he's great with XHML, and CSS might help you with it, if you ever choose using div's instead of tables.

This is the only forum that i saw that has TABLE bbcode ;). Go trap Posted Image

Table is much more versatile when it comes to adding columns without defining every little detail ;) Xisto isn't the only forum--actually I borrowed the idea from Xisto but just made little changes how I saw it fit, like allowing border width, 100% width and equal division of columns.UPDATE:FF2, Opera9 shows columns in equidistant from one anotherIE6, IE7 shows columns in equidistant from one anotherAll tested browsers show 100% table width according to any browser resolution size

Impressive new BBCode in here. I already put it in my Signature. Makes it almost looks like a picture that has been framed kind of. ;) Thanks BuffaloHELP you still give us a whole lot of fun stuff to use in here. Almost always something new in here. ;) I like seeing new stuff.

wow ty, this is a very good goodie for this forum if you are making a terrible long post and you want to include some pictures in it. perhaps now i'll be able to make my post about an online game ^^ (which was terribly long with no tables)also are these included ? ==> <thead /> <tbody /> <tfoot /> <th />