xisto Community
X_X

Tae Kwon Do

every preson have his owen professionalism, and all styles have their own pros and cons.all kinds of Martial art have similars and differences, as to me myself, i played both karata and Tae Kwon Do.But i prefere Tae Kwon Do becouse of its fast moves, jumpin higher, and the most importoant getting more Flexible, it makes my movement easier and faster, i even got better at sports, its not just a good excursie, but it also help you on other things in your life, such as playing sports.Tae Kwon Do isnt easy to learn, but it is very usefull and powerful martial Art that can help you and your body get stronger and better.

If you're looking to kill somebody, there's nothing better than ninjitsu :)

You might have a point there, dre (and yes, I do notice the smiley), but that is not what martial arts are about.

Looking for some MAP wisdom here on this question:

When have you really mastered a technique?

Do you feel like you have mastered a kick when you can perform it with power and speed? Do you feel like you have mastered a kick when you can see it coming and block it? Do you feel like you have mastered a kick when you can teach it to someone else?

I am just looking for guidance as it seems in my TKD training; you have mastered a kick when you can perform it with power and speed. The aspect of blocking the kick and being able to teach it to others seems to not be very important.

By comparison, I just started taking BJJ once a week for 30 mins, and the first thing we learn is how to stop a technique, then how to perform it. I always feel like I can perform the technique, block the technique, and teach the technique after each lesson.

I think the best thing to take as a yardstick on whether or not you have mastered a certain technique is your sensei, and the examiners.It is true, we think, if we can kick someone with speed and power, we have done a great thing, yet it does not always mean the technique has been executed correctly.Being able to teach a technique is another thing, you might be able to correctly explain to someone how to execute a technique, but be unable yourself to do it correctly, or you might indeed be explaining it all wrong.Blocking a punch/kick is obviously something you need, something essential, but blocking a kick does not necessarily mean you can also execute that kick (punching, kicking and blocking are three different techniques altogether).As I said, the best guidance in this case comes from your instructor, who will be able to tell you whether or not you execute the technique correctly, or the examiner who passes or fails you (hopefully you don't have to go that far to hear the latter, and have listened to your sensei's advice before taking an exam).

Everyone here but me seems to know what they are talking about. But to Soviet yesterday at school one of the kids who did BJJ attacked me (he was always up himself and i made sure he knew it) he got me to the floor by some knee buckling move and tried to subdue me or somethin, but i just wriggled around and broke his grip on me then got on top of him and smacked him in the temple with my palm, finishing the fight. (big guy to)I am not trying to bag BJJ as i am sure it is as good as other martial arts, but this kid was always so sure of himself and then he tried to prove himself and got showed up, i suppose im just tellin ya once you get into this kinda stuff you cant take it for granted, you still have to work hard if you are going to get anywhere with it.I have been taking Tae Kwon Do for about a month now, and the instructor is really happy with the speed i catch on and he is grading me to Blue Belt Triple Stripe this weekend, then i am going to go into the Full Contact Tournement coming up.I live for martial arts, not only are they good for defending yourself but they are fun and make you feel more confident in your everyday live.Kinda relevent i suppose...Jake

whoever said tae kwon do is not an art has no business posting here. it's definately an art as it requires years to master. i've studied this art among other art forms. i can say that i prefer a diversity of art forms rather than master just one. reason being is that every situation is different, BUT! what what usually happens when you need to defend yourself in a fight, is close range combat. kicks don't cut it. most fights end up on the ground. this is FACT so ground fighting is more necassary to master than any other art form. whoever said jujitsu and akido named two art forms that will work best in real life scenarios.now i must warn for all you youngin's braggin' about what you like and what your studying right now, do not brag about this or even mention it outside your training facility. this will only lead people to test your skills and you ending up in more fights than necessary.martial arts is not just for defense and protection, but for discipline and self guidance.

In my opinion they are giving away black belts for free. :) I mean, martial arts are supposed to have some kind of balance between body and mind. And you show absolutely no respect for judo, for example. You are just saying that tae kwon do is the most complete because you have inverted lot of time practicing it. People don't often like to think that have been wasting their time. I'm not saying that you have, but imagine the offense you have made to people who is black belt on judo.I could say that martial arts suck just because I don't practice any of them. And it would be ridiculous at the same level as your affirmations. :D

Edited by Sprnknwn (see edit history)

I done Tae Kwon Do for over a year and a half then I quit. It wasn't because it was hard, but because it gets very boring really fast. That was over 4 years ago and I forget what belt I was on but every one goes through each belt fast. I never really liked it. But now I started doing another form of self defense, which is alot more fun. It's supposed to teach you how to get out of a struggle in the street and it is very good. My trainer teaches us everything anyone on the street, like a mugger would try to do, including how to deal with somebody with a knife. I'v only been doing this for about 4 months and it's alot more helpful than Tae Kwon Do ever was.

Is there a weakness to Tae kwan Do that you know of Style of fighting you can learn quicky. I'm very short and I have to defend and it get harder as they get bigger.I just know everyone learning Tae kwan Do. I need to find something to counter it the style in general defend and attack wise so please if you can help please do.