xisto Community
drh

Living Without Computer Today - Is It Possible?, How much time eats your computer? ;)

Hello there. My family members keeps annoyingt me becouse of sitting by computer so much.They don't care, what am I doing: programming, reading news, posting in forums or reading emails - they allways think that I'm just having fun, and it's no use from computer LoL
So I decided to ask, how much time a day do all of YOU spend sitting by computer? Just trying to find out: 6-8 hours per day is normal, or I can call myself computer maniac already...

I almost stay 12 hours sitting in front of computer, because currently looking for jobs, sending cv, making my websites and so on
If before I quit my last company, I also face computer 12 hours, while I work as programmer, looking at computer is my job then after working 8 hours, I went home and then do my jobs on my home computer until I sleep.
Beside that, maybe several days a week, I went to a foundation to study spiritual there, maybe that were the times when it is only look at computer for only 8 hours.

I don't think computer is bad, you can learn programming for jobs for example, or you can become other computer jobs, like designer, architect or even any other field, which today uses computer, even a doctor need to know computer.

todays any jobs use computer, if we don't know computer than its hard for working. But if we know too deep about computer, we might end up being as programmer, system analyst or things about software development. Choose what you want to become, if a doctor then focus on using computer for learning doctor things, if an accountant, then you can learn from computer too, but it is better to learn from courses, to get friends in the field.

If about how computer our current life, the city where I live only few depends on computer. Many companies still manually do their jobs, to note down everything in book, and in common store, they use a machine but not really fully computerized, I notice that its a machine to count the changes of purchases, there is no computer screen and software that can gives reports monthly or daily. But the city currently has a few supermarkets that have computerized software, and they are very advance so it is crowded, maybe due to this computer, people is running to see this advance shop. This proves that computer is much use, and become world wide. Perhaps several years any small city uses computer, or even computerized. Even the conservative government of indonesia, is beginning to census the citizens using computer, previously they do not uses such things even and identification card can be double, or even fake one, but today when computerized system approach is being used, the ID can't be fake though physically look the same but the key is not store in computer when identifying thus this makes it more reliable.

If we read those science fiction comics or movies, maybe one day we will be depend a lot to robot? Then this robot will rebel, and we end up being used as slave for these robots that own high tech that we once create? hehehehe
Edited by innosia (see edit history)

It'd probably be 'possible' to do so. But you will need to find something to do in the free time you've got all of a sudden. I probably wouldn't be able too unless I go camp or something, since I spend like 8 hours a day behind my pc and I get bored pretty fast..

I am also spending more than 12hours daily. I did my B.Tech and just like innosia I am also searching for jobs. I use practice all my programming skills and learning new courses. My parents are also scolding me that I am spending allmy time on my computer. Pchhh... :lol: They don't know computer is my life....

Wow... way way way too much time eats away at my computer. I'm constantly on it be it for working, watching tv, listening to music... mostly everything that I do involves the computer in some way. Even eating... sort of. Because just yesterday I was looking for a way to cook my squash... so I checked the internet for recipes to see if I could find a new and interesting way to make it. Well, I found one, so the dinner we ate yesterday tasted the way it did because of the internet.And If you are thinking 6 to 8 hours a day is normal... trust me, I spend at least that much time on mine. I'm thinking more like 10 - 12 hours a day on mine lol. But probably a bit less on those days that I catch up on my sleep and sleep in for a long time. Because I end up staying up incredibly late most times on my computer, and sometimes I'm even forcing myself to go to bed because other people in the house have just woken up to go to work in the morning.Luckily no one so much bothers me about spending so much time on the computer, because my family is much to the same, just to a lesser degree. They spend a LOT of their free time on the computer, and most of the time they are home, they are sitting in front of their own monitors too. I'm glad that we've all bought our own computers now, because we used to have to take turns using it, and it just seemed like you couldn't get hardly anything done on it like that. Mind you, that was also in the days where I had a slow speed connection, so that really did not help at all.

is it possible to live without a computer? possible, yes, easy, no!many people would need to rearrange their lives if computers were to disappear, I'm not talking about those who use their computer solely for entertainment purpose, rather those who make a living out of it! sure nobody feeds on computers but computers may feed them :lol: and if a programmer had to invent a new job for himself without a computer... well it wouldn't be fun!as for how much time a day is to be considered "fair usage" outside "living-earning-hours", I don't think a general rule applies. Think for example about people living in very different environments, one in a large city one in the countryside... they certainly have different options as for how to use their time differently than sitting in front of a computer. It all comes down to how meaningful is our computer usage to us, some people may find it meaningful to walk up and down a mountain, others to explore a shopping mall, yet others to play computer games and keep themselves up-to-date through the internet. Since all the above activities are not strictly vital to us as human beings it is in my opinion solely a matter of choice ^_^

Not to mention some need to use the computer for business purposes, especially those that use it as a primary source of income for their business! Sure it is possible to do business without a computer, but it would take much much longer to go through paperwork, calculations and the other like. If you're using the computer only for pleasure/gaming/leisure whatever, sure if there was no computers, there would be some alternative form of entertainment that may have "been invented" for people to use.But in a way, technology in any form, whether if its the computer or something else will always be needed for day-to-day purposes in some form. Even if paying the taxes/bills via technology.

Since I started working online I have been spending tremendous amounts of time online. 16 hrs perday is common. I have noticed some physical effects due to this. The spine and back muscles get strained. The backs of the legs get distresses from sitting for so long, hands get cramp and odd nerves start firing from too much mouse use.. This method is already outdated. We need someting like in the movie "Lawnmower man" where the whole body is involved with your computing/online experience.

Living without computer is not possible as i thinks from past 8 Years i used our personal computer as a entertainment tools nothing else even my family know this but when they interfere with me and my computer i got saparate from my family and i live there alone from last few years. now from around 6 months i use laptop and it is always log on even i get sleep. wheni wake up again i sit on it and do around the worlds activity on internet, so as i feel that computer is a real friends who is always wtih you it never abuse you what you expected it give to you what you feel it appreciate to you,when i works on personal PC i feel little bore but now a day i am using laptop i feel quite happy.computer give me all information what i want to search so it is best informator system in the world.

I spend much of my day on the computer. I have to do my school work on it first of all. Then i go on it to listen to music, watch vids, chat with friends, and email. It IS totally possible to cut down computer usage, but its VERY hard to do so if your on it all the time. Some people need the computers for work and school, which in that case you really cant quit it. Others use it for free time. Now you can cut down on that kind of computer usage, but it takes a long time to do so if your addicted to the computer. I love the computer because its my life. I rarely get to go anywhere because im homeschooled online. I talk to friends online and thats my way of contact with people. So it would be very hard for me to quit because I only get to have contact with people through the internet. I can do phone, but my friends and myself dont like to talk on the phone much. As long as your not doing and looking at bad stuff, then theres no problem with the internet or computer.

It IS possible to live without a computer literally. But because technology has been integrated into our lives, we cannot bare to step away from it. All around you there is technology. There are all sorts of computers, and without computers you could not "live" in high society.If you're just talking about regular computers then yes, but you'd have to hide it somewhere or have a chain to the door so you can't use it because you said you spend like 6 hours on the computer each day.Also, I spend 4-5 hours on my computer each day.

Yeah my parents think I spend way too much time at my computer (probably 3-4 hours a day). I usually spend that time on forums, webdesigning or chatting to friends on instant messenger. They think I'm either1. wasting my time chatting when I could be doing more productive things (like chores around the house)2. doing work... if I say I'm doing an assignment they'll leave me alone for about an hour but come back expecting me to be finished already :)If I tell them I'm webdesigning or making graphics they don't really understand what I mean. They're both a bit clueless with technology, they can use the basic computer alright (e.g. checking emails and typing on word) but that's about it.On days when I have class I tend to spend less time on the computer because my friends and I usually organize to do something after class. (Unless i have an assignment due really soon, if so I usually pull an all nighter on the computer, which my parents absolutely HATE)Still I think it would be possible to live without my computer (very difficult though). It would be harder to contact friends, harder to find information (using the net, harder to do Uni work... imagine handwriting out all your projects :S)It is possible though, which I found out when my computer died on me last year and I had to spend about a month without one whilst my parents tossed up whether to get me a laptop or a desktop PC.I ended up spending most of my time reading a book (which is probably even more antisocial than being online because at least when I'm online I'm posting in forums or chatting to people)

What a coincidence... The same happens with me, and my parents doesn't really understands me that I am designing some graphic designs and etc... And I think that living without computer today is impossible, and that is it. But the parents are telling to us that there are a lot of beautiful things, and that sometimes computers my be dangerous for us. Ok, I can say that the LOVE is very beautiful thing for me.

Edited by stefan_pavikevik (see edit history)

I get some flak from the family due to the amount of time i spend on PC/Laptop, what ever i can find... But then i try to engage them in conversation to quickly find we don't share many interests, so that's difficult... I imagine if computers hypothetically became non-existent, id soon find myself spending the time behind books and bashing away on a typewriter.

I'm on the computer every day, unless on a family holiday, even then I have a laptop. I'd say for me highly unlikely. I'd doubt that I would be able to do anything. Cause everything related to talking, gaming, tv, socializing and other stuff is done on the computer for me. I wish it wasn't like that but why would you say no. Since I got a new computer I am on all the time, making cs maps, playing cs, making websites, on Xisto, on myspace/facebook, msn, and youtube. If you think about it the only things that don't require a computer, is eating, sleeping and going to the toilet + shower. My max days without a computer would be 4, and thats it. No way that I can have a life without a computer. or Internet

Let me share how my life goes on with technology. Every morning the first thing I do is check my mails on laptop. It lies on top of table which is just beside my bed. So I grab that and check my mails while still lying in the bed. :XD: I check them for about 5-10 mins and then get up doing other chores.And after coming home in the evening, I again look for anything important like forum replies, emails etc. And in night I surf the net for about two hours and then keep atop the table for the next day :lol: . So basically, I get up with computers and end my day with it.