xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Austrailian Teen Got Youtube To Pull Videos From Their Site

I don't know whats more funnier they fact he did this or that the peple at youtube fell for it AHAHAHAHA ;) From the article the teen created a letter saying he was from ABC and told youtube.com to remove hundreds of clips (number unspecific) and they did. Well ABC got hold of this and got a hold of the teen lets just say the kid got away from going to jail on that one. ;)

Of course this is coming weeks after Viacom sued Google (good timing Viacom) about copyrighted material. Now I am only speculating but I do believe ABC has a letter head for all it's documents and somehow the teen got a hold of it and use it, because their would be know way a plain letter by ABC be that easy to forge.

SOURCE

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Well teenagers are really smart ;). It's hard to blame Youtube for this because they just listened to what they believed was ABC. ABC should have been more protective of their letterhead and information similar to that. It's not that big of a deal to me, it's just Youtube lol

I don't quite understand why YouTube was not yanking copyrighted videos *before* this kid sent out the fake letter. I mean, man...Viacom's already suing them. How long before other networks file their own suits? I would think that it would be a lot cheaper for YouTube to go ahead and at least *start* removing the "potential lawsuit videos."Or...maybe YouTube is already doing just that and they haven't gotten to the ABC videos just yet. I don't really know. ;)

Edited by FolkRockFan (see edit history)

Yeah I read that. But removing copyrighted material is not an otion for youtube as it thrives on such material. If it starts doing that, lots of users are going to be diverted away from youtube as it would require prior approval and checking if it is copyrighted video or not. Those videos would anyway end up on other sites. To remove copyrighted videos when notified is a better option. Viacom is just trying to bully youtube. But youtube is no napster