xisto Community
Mafian

Favorite Os? What is your Favorite Operating system

I am new to the forums and im posting to get free hosting, and i would like to know what people like to use on there computer Ive played with ubuntu, but a friend of mine said go straight to linux so i wanted to hear a few suggestions about what he has considered do you think i should try linux?

I am new to the forums and im posting to get free hosting, and i would like to know what people like to use on there computer Ive played with ubuntu, but a friend of mine said go straight to linux so i wanted to hear a few suggestions about what he has considered do you think i should try linux?

Ubuntu is a Linux distribution.....its what i'm using
a few other Linux distributions: Red Hat, Slackware, Suse, etc.

My favorite OS......
If talking about windows then Windows 98.....
And if about Linux then Red Hat.....
Because in my view this two are best in all sense.

The best OS ever made by MS is WinXP SP2, and the most 'eye-candy-ish' OS is Windows Vista.For Linux, i would choose Ubuntu LinuxI hate Macs for some reason.And Solaris is too expensive.My Overall Favourite would be XP, it has good management on RAM and CPU usage, good Compatibility, and good Virus protection

I have been using Kubuntu (same as Ubuntu but with KDE as the window manager) and I think it is much better than Windows. Having used every version of Windows since 3.1 it was such an eye opener to move to the world of Linux. The only problem I have is the last kernel upgrade won't correctly mount anything, and is now happily destroying my HDD ;) Apart from that, its been great, and the fact that the vast majority of software is completely free with great community support beats Microsoft hands down.

I use windows because its easy and comes with my computer, i'm too lazy to try linux as this is my only computer and not willing to lose everything. The only real reason I stick with windows though is its compatability with 95% of all applications I use. If Mac was able to run exe files without emulation or a higher load on CPU there is a high chance I'd switch over. I've only used mac for about 10 minutes total, but the time i spent on there i was impressed at how fast it ran (I don't think it was that good either). And like I said, I'm too lazy for linux. When I get a new laptop in a year or two it will be windows, but I will reformat and put XP on it because I don't like vista at all since it takes up way too much memory.

I use Knoppix 5.1 on a Live CD. It detects virtually all hardware and sets it up. It takes about 2-3 minutes on my computer to boot up completely. I can't wait until 5.2 is released. Supposedly it is going to be released sometime this month! *gets excited*

I been using Windows XP since long and inspite of all the lots of problems i come across, I find it quite stable and nice to use. Recently tried Ubuntu and was surprised it detected my sound and all other drivers prior to installation. The problem is I am a home user and terminal becomes such a big headache for a non programmer like me. I would love to use the Mac but i dont think i would use it for long since i am a gaming person

I am still using Windows XP and I want change it probably I am not even considering to transfer to the linux. As I don't need it and XP evethough I don't prefer it is to some extent good Operating System. Also I would like to point out that if you have Linux you don't need virus protection program. And About vista eventhough Microsoft is stating that it is completely newly written I would like to point out that it is still using large parts of XP coding however they have rewritten many very important parts and many critical system parts have been transfered out of kernel so to say the architecture of Vista provides more security then that of Windows XP. But it is still more or less Cosmetical update. I don't like linuxes as they are like to play hard tog et. Although it offeres more ability and control over your own computer I really don't need that much and Windows allows me at the moment apporximately the same amount of control i would need.

We can find different OS available in the market. But according to our use OS will be useful. For home user i prefer Windows XP OS because it is easy to use with good graphics. If we need security and good networking i will prefer Linux OS. So according to our need OS are available. Don't use OS which doesn't benefits you. I recommend Windows XP as a favorite OS.

We can find different OS available in the market. But according to our use OS will be useful. For home user i prefer Windows XP OS because it is easy to use with good graphics. If we need security and good networking i will prefer Linux OS. So according to our need OS are available. Don't use OS which doesn't benefits you. I recommend Windows XP as a favorite OS.

You must also consider that if user is not power user then he or she will tend to use the same operating system at home as they use it in theirs working place. That's why microsoft had this policy to allow certain bugs in the Windows XP so that people would get free operating system at home but companies would pay big bucks for licences.

Also I know that this is not discussion about that but Microsoft is profiting most from the Office rather then Windows itself.

If they worked on my hardware, HaikuOS and eComStation would be my hands down favorite OSes. HaikuOS is compatible with applications meant for Linux, and eComStation can practically run every major binary you'd care about with the exception of OS X binaries. The best part is both of them aren't very bloated.

Edited by Tetraca (see edit history)

Well, I guess I've got the only Mac vote in this thread so far then. I like the Macintosh OS, specifically OS X 10.4.9 because it just works. It's multi-processor capable and I don't generally have to worry about drivers or things like that. I can plug it into most any printer and it'll work. No viruses to speak of, I don't even use anti-virus software, no trouble. If an app. crashes, you can force-quit the app. and the rest is unaffected. And my favorite part... You don't have to re-start the stupid thing a quarter as often as Windoz makes you!

If they worked on my hardware, HaikuOS and eComStation would be my hands down favorite OSes. HaikuOS is compatible with applications meant for Linux, and eComStation can practically run every major binary you'd care about with the exception of OS X binaries. The best part is both of them aren't very bloated.

This is my first time I have heared for these two operating system. I must say I am bit amazed with eComStation, it looks like it is build up just to be portable or to accept everything you can give it well almost everything.

While on the other hand I don't like HaikuOS as it looks a bit old fashined it reminds me on the windows 98 with such graphics. I have really spend some time watching those screenshots on their web site. Well one plus one minus.

We would need poll in this thread it would help a lot to see what users think.