xisto Community
Burke

Does Age Matter?

OMG NO NEVER... age never ever ever matters... just don't break the law... think about it: my friends parents have nearly a twenty year age gap but no bats an eyelid.Unfortunately in this society, with paedophilia etc people get all freaked out when you're under about 30, years ago people got married at 12 and still do in some parts of the world.When I was 12 I had a boyfriend almost 4 years older than me - people found it an issue and the school wrote letters home to my mum in concern for me. I've never had a boyfriend my age since, my previous one being even older! My Dad always says that guys and girls meet somewhere in the middle with girls being far more mature than guys, as you say it is with the girl you're with. But even so, my 15 year old brother for example has a girlfriend almost 5 years older than him! They don't want to have an intimate relationship, not only because it's illegal but because they both want to wait.As long as you both want the same thing, you respect each other and you don't break the law whats the problem?People will assume because you're older you'll only want one thing... but people don't give the younger generation enough credit.Don't be surprised if people call you names or threaten you, thats something you'll have to deal with... it depends how strong you are...Good luck :PBTW - why is everyone so concerned about how old she "looks" surely it doesn't matter? I know people in their 20s who look like 14 year olds... it doesn't mean I cant date them!

Edited by sarahscope (see edit history)

I think once everyone becomes of legal age, then age doesn't really matter. When we are talking about people that are really young, like 14 going out with adults, then I think that those laws are there for a reason. 14 and 17 is kind of on the fence for me. You are both young, so it doesn't seem so bad, but you have to remember the laws, because if the law states that you can't be 'together' then you could get into really big trouble regardless of consent and all that.But once people are of legal age, then I think that everyone is emotionally and mentally old enough to make their own decisions. So long as two people love each other, are faithful to each other and treat their partner well, then age really isn't a factor in my books. It's more like a personal preference I figure. If you can deal with it, then the power to you, if you'd rather have someone closer to your own age, then that's cool too.You just have to remember in some cases, things can start to get complicated. Such as my friend, she is going out with someone that is twice her age. He has children that are older than she is. That created some weirdness between her and his kids, but they kind of came to terms with it after a while, and they are still together. So you'll have to work through a few more issues than a regular couple (of the same age) but if you can stand that test as well, then you can know that you really are meant to be together.... regardless of how old the both of you are.But make sure it is LEGAL! :P

If it was something like 23 and 20, then it's a whole different story, but for this case, I'd have to say age matters a lot. For instance, what do her parents think of this? Do they even know about this? Do yours? Most likely, they will be against this. Also, when it's time for you to get a job or go to college, how are you going to see her? Quite a dilemma, I think.

Well at a certain level it does matter, but that's on the perspective of maturity. I think most people here have already pointed out that each person matures differently, despite their age. I know some people who, at young age, act and think a few years their senior. Some people choose their partner basically on looks, some people look further than just looks---and sometimes, they choose people who are more mature in the way they think. I guess there's some level of attraction to people who look or think maturely.

Should age matter? Yes and No. Within age ranges there needs to be a acceptance level. 10-16, 16-20, 20-40, 40+ crissing those ranges puts you into a different lifestyle, she is starting to learn the way of the worlds while you are starting to find yourself in the world. While you're going to college or whatever, she is in school learning things, being with guys her own age, it will only distract her and you.

I have to agree with tuddy here, and that age really can effect the relationship outside of sex. Being in a different age group can make a big impact on how you will see each other in the future or at the current time. However, there are some couples that do have quite a big age difference and they are as happy as can be. You can't be steriotypical is what I'm trying to say, not all teenagers or pre-teens are the same. Some can be more mature than others and I know some teenages who still have the mind of a pre-teen. These are rare occasions sad to say, and most of the time it will not work out because of non-sex related issues.

I don't think that age should play a big part if you two are truely happy, because really what is age in a relationship? I think that a relationship comes from the heart (for a lack of a better word) and not how old the body is. However, people are right that sexual temptations can get the better of you and that is very illegal. The question is, how well do you think your will power is not to have sexual relations with the girl. If you really feel that you can get through those temptations in some way then by all means good luck to you. But if you feel you will break under the pressure then I suggest you break it off early. You do not want to be in over your head in something you never intended to happen.

Wish you the best of luck,
Jester

I think that age does matter, maybe not now when the only problem is sex, but in the future too big of a difference between two people make a difference! There are only 3 years between you two and you are older so that should not be a problem in the future, but you if a girl is 19 and the boy is let's say 29, that is a problem, because he wants to settle down and have a family, maybe kids and so on...the girl in our society probably or mostly won't be ready for that sort of life at this young age so there is a big problem here. Of course, there is only one rule...if two poeple really and I mean REALLY love each other, then there is no problem at all!

I don't think age is what matters in relationships. Age is a standardized measure of maturity, experience, and values. Someone younger might not be emotionally mature, and if you're a lot older than she is, she might give you a lot of drama and crap. She might also not understand some of the things you do, and why you do them, because she's not as experienced in relationships.At HER age, it matters legally, so don't have sex with her.When she is older, it won't matter as much. For example, a lot of married couples have around a 3-year age difference. But when they were younger, the relationship would not have been socially acceptable.

Hi. I agree with heavensounds. Age in relationships matter, but only in two cases: when the difference is notorious (10+ years) and when love isn't very strong. In the first case, the problems are so many: sex, family, jobs, mutual friends, personalities, etc. In some cases maybe the love seems like mom and dad love instead of couple love due to difference of ages. The second case, when love is weak, many stupid things could cause really damage to the relationship like gossips, doubts, discussions, fights, etc.I hope that people in relationships like that mentioned above could stay away from its. Bye."Excuse my english. I still learning it."

I honestly don't think so because I am in a relationship with a girl 3 years older than me, but my friends seem to thin k that age matters and they feel bad for her cause she is three years older. I think what they say about that is stupid :D

This topic really hits home because a girl asked me out to Prom but she was a Senior and i'm a Sophomore so I had to say no, because you know sometimes people will just exploit you for their own personal gain and whatnot.I wish, sometimes this world just hurts to be in it. From where I stand however, the right thing in your situation to do would be to intervene and explore the different routes you can take with this world, whether its to continue the relationship or to just let her go.Because long distance relationships don't work and no guy will wait that long for a girl to be "of age" I suggest just letting her go because she's only 14 and she will fall in love with other people regardless if you let her go now.Cheers mate, good luck with your love life, hee hee.

I am turned 17 in december and my girlfriend turns 14 in june she is actually one of my best friends step sister... He dosent know yet. We plan on telling him when she becomes a freshman and I am a seinor because it is not as un common

her dad loves me like mad crazy so he wont care that I am dating his daughter

my friend falls asleep mad early so it is just me and her when I stay over..We don't do anyting bad..We both have the exact same relationship experience..Not very good

so I don't think that the age difference matters at all..Just people see it and are like woah but when you get older the age difference dosent mean jack ****...And a few arguments you can use is the average difference between husband and wife is 5 years.. And romeo and juliet have the same age differnce

so I hope that helped

yes age matter in falling in love because if a boy is age of 25 and a girl is of 14 then looks very awkward to you both because people may pas comment to you both

I think age isn't important when there's love. But I think it's important that both are mature, I mean, if you're 25 and she's 20, you both are grown up and so... But in this case, I think she's still a kid...But well, you don't have to think the same... I'd tell you give it a try and time will tell =)

Does Age MatterDoes Age Matter?

hey X

To Be Honest, I don't Think Age Matters At All,

Age Is Just A Number And If You Love Someone It Comes From The Heart

You Cant Change Your Feelings And If You Think The Relationship Is Worth It Then Carry On !

Who Is To Tell You What To Do , You Are The Only One Who Knows How You Feel 

Do What You Want And don't Worry What Other People Think !

xxx

-reply by Lauren