xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
seez

How Can I Be More Popular? How Can I Be More Popular??

Please don't get me wrong - I'm not an attention seeker, but I would like to be more popular at my school. I'm not a loser and I'm friends with some of the populars. That's generally my position - I am friends with some of the dorks though, which I guess brings me down on the social system scale. Please TELL ME HOW I CAN BE MORE POPULAR. Thank you. I appreciate it.

Before you become popular, you should ask yourself: Why do you want to be popular? And there isn't much you can do to be popular but there are things that can help you become more "popular" in school. Many people perceive alcohol, drugs, and smoking as cool and raise your popularity, it actually won't; and it will also damage your health. The most important thing is how you walk. Never look down while walking; always walk with your back straigh with confidence -- in fact, thats the most important step to become popular. Be confident. Also, honestly, how can someone who dresses like he's in 80's be popular? Consider a good haircut, good jeans, and good pair of polo shirts/etc. Don't go overboard or it'll seem like you're "trying too hard". Also, you need to be clean: shave, shower daily, etc. Now that you've got that down, another important way to become popular is be involved in your school! There is nothing better than being involved in everything. More people will know you, hence you're "popular". But, again, even if you are popular in high school, this will not bring you success in later life. :lol: So, don't take these things to heart....Oh yeah, and don't ditch your friends even though they are "dorks". :lol: They are still your friends no matter what.

Most important thing is never try to be cool as you will just embarrass yourself. Also don't try to copy any specific popular guy because you will be named as a wannabe so just be yourself and live life.

First of all, why would you want to be more popular? You are who you are and you should be happy with that. I was a popular kid through out high school and still in college but personally i would have prefered to not be in high school. The reason is simple, everyone is in your business and there is very little privacy. You might think that being popular means going out alot, knowing everyone, etc. but there is no difference between what popular people do and those who think they arent. It just is a different group of people that you hang out with and that is all. Be who you are, hangout with those who are similar to you because it will be more fun and you wont feel like you have to be fake, and enjoy the time in school. It goes way to fast to wish you were somewhere else with other people rather than just enjoying every minute of it.As for a suggestion to how to be popular if you dont like my advice about why it doesnt matter and all, then i would say just be outgoing, friendly and confident in yourself. Confidence is something anyone can see and it makes people be more comfortable with you and believe you know what life is all about. Even when you are not confident in a situation or about something, just make it seem like you are and people will notice it. Also, just saying hi to people and socializing about how their day is and all goes a long way. People like to talk and making conversation and then listening to them makes them feel like you care and that you want to be talking to them. This is a great way to get to know people and even learn if they are the kind of person you want to be friends with.

I couldn't agree more with fffanatics. Just live out highschool where you are.High school is really a joke. Seriously,, the worst years of my life... not that I didn't have any friends or anything like that, but I just cant stand working on stuff that I'm no good at. (English, science, history). I dreaded going to class, and it has made my life hell. Thank god for graduation in 1 month ;) Anyway, for popularity, if you are still convinced that you MUST become popular, try not talking so much: The unpopular kids at my school DO NOT KNOW HOW TO SHUT UP. It's actually very annoying >_>. But usually that would only help if people are already annoyed by you.BordaForx is right, if you want to be popular become involved in your school. join ASB, and be confident.

Well, I would say, as the others, be who you are and be happy with that... but what the h..! being popular makes you feel better in many aspects.Borda said many true facts that you must consider, have a good appareance, confidence... always be sure of yourself when you are talking with your friends, specially with girls, dont be shy, talk as much as you can ;) well, the guy above says that you should not talk that much, but that may be on his school, every school is different and so are the classmates, but well, in mine, people who are so talkative are generally most recognized because they are hard to forget ;)I tell you what... if you get involved in a fight, you will become very popular, im not saying you should punch someone ;) i dont like that way for earn popularity.Also, if in your school are practiced sports, if you are good at any, you will also gain popularity and will make some friends.One big advice: You wont become popular from today to tomorrow, so all of this, do it gradually, dont arrive to your school as a totally different person, that will just cause people to ashame you. Also, if you gain any popularity, dont forget your other friends, even if you think they are "dorks", they are your REAL friends, never forget that, they like you because who you are really inside, the friends you meet when you are popular like you just because you are acting like them, so set your priorities correctly, your real friends are first.Wish you luck with all of this :)

The most important thing is to be yourself. Yes, that sounds trite - and it's what most of our Moms told us at some point in our lives - but it's true.Self-improvement is good. Most of us want to become better people, which is a noble thing. But there's a difference between becoming better at something (say, socializing - or talking to girls/guys, whatever) and changing one's self to the point of not being recognizable. It's not a good thing to stop hanging out with the less popular people just because that makes you lose "popularity points." You could miss out on some very wonderful friendships...and end up realizing, later, that you probably should not have treated people like that.

Everyone you meet in life add/subtract from you resulting in what you are/become later - meaning everyone is important and should be valued. Popularity? I dont know, but it does sound like something too fickle to go after. Just my opinioin...

People at my school get popular by joining in with the once-small group of smokers, so now when you walk around outside, there's a large number of kids on the streets smothered in clouds of cigarette smoke.I think it's a rather fickle thing, popularity. Are these people really your friends, or are they just after the large groups to hang out with, for company only?It would probably be better having a small group of close friends. It would be easier to spend time with them all, and you'd get to know them quicker - seeing as there is smaller number of people to talk to.And, if you had a large number of friends, wouldn't you have to buy a load of Christmas cards? :P:D

I think being nice, pleasant and helpful would help yourself score more points. But don't be insincere or hypocritical.Also, what's wrong with being with dorks? In my opinion, being discriminating is already a huge turn-off. Nobody likes to be friends with people who can't appreciate them for who they are. Friends are people you love being around with and who can share your problems, not displays for you to flaunt. Having a few real friends is far better than having a ton of so-called friends who are only good for chalking up numbers.

Edited by bishoujo (see edit history)

Popularity isn't worth it, if you get a few "Cool bad kids" as friends, what about your old friends the ones you call "Dorks", Will they be accepted by your new friends? These kids you want to hang out with will grow up to be shallow and idiotic while the ones you call "Dorks" might found a Multi-million doller corporations (Now look at bill gates hes got all the chicks :) ). The Popular kids at my school all got there by making fun of other kids, I have been invited to sit at there table at lunch hang out with them after school ect, but I decline and hang out with the "Dorks". It makes them feel good as well as myself. I suggest you don't throw away your current friends for ones you don't even know if they will accept you yet.

Never regret anything. Never be awkward. Always have confidence. Be involved in an extra-curricular activity and be passionate about it. Genuinely smile at everyone. Never reject anyone's offer of friendship. Statistically, most of your friends for life come from college, so don't sweat it.When in a crowd, or walking down the hall with friends, be in the middle. I think people notice the middle person, and naturally assume that they're the "leader" and most popular of the group because of their physical position. People assume that the entourage belongs to you and that can make a positive impression about your popularity to observers. At least that's what I've learned from watching tons of teen movies.Or just do what Drew Barrymore did in the movie, Never Been Kissed. All you need is one cool person to vouch that you are cool, and you're automatically accepted.

Popularity is relatively subjective. When I was in highschool (alright, it was only last year), there was a group of the "popular" kids. The thing is, they weren't exactly popular. What they really were was a sort of holdover of the "popular" kids from middle school. It all really depends on what your definition of popular is. Looking back, I was definitely not "popular," but I had a lot of good friends from just about every social clique. The important thing isn't to be part of a small group of kids who are looked on as popular, the point is to have a good time and make friends that you actually want to have as your friends. Some of the "popular" kids really were popular, but it was only because they were decent people and treated the nerds/dorks/geeks etc... like normal people. Because you know, thats what they are, the different cliques are very superficial.Oh, and as most people said before me, confidence is the key to it all. Confidence in yourself, and the fact that even if you aren't into the same things as other people, they'll still respect you. I was one of the nerdy kids in highschool, but that didn't stop me being best friends with jocks, preps, stoners, or anyone else. In the end most people fall somewhere inbetween all of the cliques anyways.

High School is just a game and popularity only gives you an ego boost. that and once you get popular you forget about the friends that have been your friends since forever! and along with that you don't need popularity. unless you want to become homecoming king or prom king or w/e. what kind of popular are you trying to get to ? the hanging out with cool kids popular or the everyone knows you in the whole school popular? popularity is just a game. Once you lose its game over, because once you screw something up with that popular crowd then no one sees you the same and you are stuck with nothing no friends because when you left your old friends they didn't care for you anymore and then don't expect them to see them with open arms. Just becareful with your choices that you make.