xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zeeman48

Limiting Returned Data To Last X Fields With Sql

Hello, I'm currently developing a social-networking site in ColdFusion and several aspects of the site require me to return a limited number of records for display (e.g. displaying the last 3 news items in the left-hand column on the front page, etc.).I currently only have a small SQL "cheet sheet" and what my ColdFusion reference book tells me, and I cannot find anything anywhere about limiting the data returned from a SELECT statement to the last X number of records.Any help is appreciated!Thanks,zeeman48

The simplest way is to just tag LIMIT = X onto the end of your query, with X representing the number of rows you want to return. However, this will return them in the order they appear in the database. Normally you want to include a statement in the SQL command to order the data according to a set column. For the news example here, order them by descending for the date or time column, then limit the query to 3 results.