xisto Community
brweb

Share Experience Of Ubuntu Linux For all Ubuntu Linux users who are using this great OS

Hi, I am using Ubuntu Linux 6.06 LTS version. and I want to say that this one is really a great OS to try linux. This is the perfect OS to compare with Windows XP. I have both WindowsXP and Ubuntu 6.06. I had also tried other Linux distro, but found this one is really a nice one. I am fully satisfied with Ubuntu Linux. Please share your experiance with Ubuntu Linux here.

Well, I can't say my experience with ubuntu has been a nice one. I am currently dual booting it with XP (from a week ago). The installation was a breeze and all the applications provided work fine but the package manager doesn't work at all so I cannot install any new application. I looked all over the net for a solution but nothing worked. I'm using v5.10, maybe there is a bug in it?

You should upgrade to 6.10 (if possible and willing)! It is even better than 6.06. Well, not sure about Ubuntu, but Kubutnu 6.10 is better than 6.06. I dual-boot with Windows XP. I've tried other Linux Distros (Fedora, OpenSuSe, Enlightment, etc...), but, in my opinion, none compare with Kubuntu; i came across certain problems with the others—i never had a problem with Kubuntu. I'll post a screenshot of my current desktop when i get back into Linux. :lol:

Posted Image

I have been using Kubuntu 6.10 and just updated to the 7.04 Beta edition 2 days ago. I have had very few problems and I am very pleased with how the latest version has progressed in the way of hardware support. Now, such things as keyboard shortcut keys, WPA wireless encryption and other important things that were missing from a default Ubuntu install have now been added, and work perfectly. The ease with which software can be installed using Adept is an amazing change from the multistep install processes that Windows loves so much.The package manager for 5.10 is unlikely to work as Canonical (the company behind Ubuntu) only supports versions for a set period of time. 5.10 was made a while ago and has likely fallen out of support. The package database will have been removed, therefore there is nothing for you to download. Try upgrading to 6.10LTS or wait until 7.04 comes out.

I must say that my experience with Ubuntu has been nothing but great... Ever since the version 5.04, and up to current 6.10, I've been using this operating system on one of my machines... It works prefectly, and I didn't have a single problem so far (aside from problems caused by myself, when trying different types of configuration, mostly for X)...My friend recently installed Beryl, and when I saw it... I was speachless... That damn thing actualy works! When I saw all those videos about 3D rotating cube desktop, I thought it required a hech of a machine to run... And now that I seen it in person... I can say, it's definitely the best thing i have ever seen... It runs on my friends machine that is not top of the line, it's kind of old, AMD XP1800+ (that would be 1.3GHz or so), 512MB RAM, and nVidia GeForce 6600, with 128MB graphic memory... And it actualy runs very very smooth... We even tried making it transparent wile we move it, and running a movie on one desktop, and playing music on second, and rotating it... No hickups! And we saw inverted movie... I know this is not exactly part of Ubuntu, but I just had to share my joy with you ;)Seeing that, and then seeing poor Window$, it makes me wonder, will Micro$oft EVER have something like that incorporated in Window$? And how powerfull machine would it have to be, in order to run it?Installing new software in Ubuntu is a breeze, using Synaptic manager, or perhaps, if someone likes it so, from terminal window, using apt-get, or using one of the third party installers, like Atomix, or whatever... Plus, Ubuntu automaticaly updates ALL of your software if there is a new version... How great is that?I must say, Cannonical has done a terific job with Ubuntu, and I'm sure they are the leaders in Linux distros currently available... Linux community here in Serbia, is attempting to lobby for all governmental institutions, to migrate from Window$, to Linux, and I'm fairly sure, it will be Ubuntu (if I have anything to do with it)...All in all, all my expectations from Linux have been greatly surpassed, and I'm very eager to see the new 7.04 version, and then the next, and next...

Well I have used ubuntu and though it is a very good OS, i cant setup my internet connection because i have no training in linux. That has always been the problem with linux. but ubuntu has been quit an improvement.

hmm.. I'm using Ubuntu 7.0.2 right now and it's great! I bet all who posted in this thread who used 6.0.1 obviously upgraded. But just to continue on to this thread, I love Ubuntu Linux! Installation was a breeze. I still use dual-boot because I'm a gamer and my printer is not supported by Linux. I know about WINE and all but not all Windows programs work in it so I choose to stay with using my Windows OS to run them.Ubuntu Feisty is fast and easy! Great OS to use and hopefully catch up to Microsoft.

I have Ubuntu 6.06 on Virtual PC 2007, but thinking of upgrading to ubuntu 7.x (i think) very good this ubuntu stuff. Love it, and it is one of the only OSs that can actually compare with WinXP

I have been using Ubuntu for about a year (or is it two?) and have loved it every step of the way (well, almost...). I just installed UbuntuStudio, however, and this is "Teh awesome". Seriously, I have never used a better OS. I installed Beryl a while ago, and I'm absolutely amazed at what this thing does. And I don't even have a good comp - Dell Inspiron 510m, 1.5MHz Intel CPU, 510MB Ram, generic Intel graphics card. everything's simple in linux :lol:

I run Ubuntu on my desktop machine and it is definitely a lot better than Windows. You can find alternate programs that you use on Windows for free! OpenOffice (Microsoft Office), GIMP (Photoshop) and many others. In fact, I loved it so much more than XP, I completely erased my XP and am just running Ubuntu on the destkop!But I love my iBook G4 (PPC) running Tiger 10.4.9 and I can't wait for the $129 Premium version of Leopard!

I started using ubuntu on a virtual machine, loved it so much that I decided to dual-boot along XP, after months of using it I felt confident enough to set it up as my main OS and since I'm not a gamer I don't have any problems at all.What I like the most about ubuntu is that whenever a new version comes out I can just go to their website and order a CD free of charge including the shipping.Right now I have the latest version (7.04) and I can say that byfar Ubuntu is the most user friendy Linux distro I've ever used.

try getting the latest version. I've got Ubuntu on a dual boot with my Win XP and I totally love it. I'm not as tech savy as some but I quickly learned how to network, install new programs (using the add/remove feature only) and how to run Beryl (WOOT!) I have the Gnome version b/c it's the easiest to switch to coming from windoze I found.So yea.

I realize this thread is a little old, but it does seem to still draw traffic.

I had been using Ubuntu 7.04 dual-booting with Windows XP for 3 or 4 months when a nasty virus knocked out my windows partition. I must say I rather enjoyed that none of my shared data (data stored in separate partitions from either OS, something I *highly* recommend) suffered any ill affects from the virus. Yes I had to scan and clean it, but as everyone is frequently pointing out, Linux isn't often affected by viruses at all. This prompted me to switch for good.

I re-installed Ubuntu once, then decided I wanted to change the partition structure and did it once again. The most annoying problems were initial monitor resolution and a handful of issues a single application addressed nicely.

For the resolution, search the web (or your manual for the horizontal and vertical refresh rates) for your monitor. After you install Ubuntu open up a terminal window. (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) And type "sudo nautilus". It will then prompt for your password. You'll now have a file manager window open with root privileges. [bE CAREFUL with it. You can do a lot of damage.] Navigate to "/etc/X11" and make a backup copy then open the file "xorg.conf" Scan down until you find a section that looks like this:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Generic Monitor"
Option "DPMS"
HorizSync 30-65
VertRefresh 50-100
EndSection

My horizontal refresh range is 30-65 and my veritcal is 50-100, so I've plugged in those values above. Hit save and restart Ubuntu (or just restart the X Server if you're more savvy, but I thought explaining this might just be confusing.) This should give you a decent refresh rate. You can navigate to (System>Preferences>Screen Resolution) to review.

There are also a variety of places where Ubuntu is rough around the edges, or lacking a bit. Automatix will address 99% of these with a simple point and click menu. You just select what you want installed and because it is Ubuntu distribution specific, it will retrieve and install (and even for the most part configure) what you ask for. Examples are mp3 support, video codecs to allow playback of media files you may encounter on the web, plug-ins so Firefox can stream video the way a windows user would expect, a packet of fonts that you're used to seeing on web pages that Microsoft distributes and you can use for free, but Ubuntu can't distribute, gYache - an excellent yahoo chat client, Azureus - an excellent bitTorrent client, installation routines for Adobe Photoshop. The list goes on and on and it's all as easy to install as marking a checkbox next to what you want and clicking start. And in case you're worried, Automatix itself is just as easy to install, click the link and watch it go.

http://www.findingresult.com/?dn=getautomatix.com&pid=9POR3TG0A

After fixing the refresh rate on your monitor so you have decent resolution and refresh rates, and letting Automatix round off some of the rough edges and fill in a few gaps, you'll have your Ubuntu box running usefully and aesthetically in no time.