xisto Community
Johnny

Where/how Did You Learn Css?

So...I'm bored at work, and I figure I should do something [other than work] to occupy my time. And I think now would be the best time for me to learn CSS...I've got plenty of time and I don't have any computer/video games or tv to distract me.

So I was just wondering, for any CSS designers out there, where/how did you learn it? Links to online material are appreciated.

EDIT: Oh wow, Tim's right...one more post to 3000. I should make it a sig topic or something...

EDIT 2: AW MAN, I left and forgot...my 3000th post ended up in Mike's topic.

I learned CSS the same way i learned HTML: i viewed other sites' source code and put things together—no tutorials; all at my time at home. Though, i increased my knowledge in it (i.e. building for standards) by looking up tutorials for it. :lol: And, like always, there's W3 Schools.

Hello, johnny! There are a few places I learned CSS. I used W3 Schools and brain bench.also, check out the library when you get home- there is always somthing there! Well, Css is cool, because all the color and font tags in html are deprecated. Happy Learning CSS!

EDIT-

Dang, truefusion! You beat me to it!

Edit 2-

@Johnny-

One more post till 3000!

Edited by Imtay22 (see edit history)

I've learned CSS with e-Books .. if you want me to give you an ebook of CSS just PM me.. cause I can't add it here :lol:

there are a bazillion tutorials on the web. even some here at the trap. :lol:
The Tutorials/lessons at w3schools is good. They feature a try-it board also. And their reference pages are good too.

http://www.cssplay.co.uk/ has a good tutorial on Menu building and the examples there are terrific to use a learning, but nothing beats practice, practice, practice. If you want, I will build you a template with lots of classes and div's and you can practice on that???

Lets see I first learned CSS through looking at source code and then copying and pasting from CSS examples. I Have read a few tutorials, but for the more advance stuff and of course from other people over the years as well. Of course a lot of trial and error for hte last couple of years to perfect positioning and design.

I learned CSS by experimenting and W3Schools. Its not that hard once you get the hang of it. Start out just using it to do simple things and then build up from there, like you would with any other langauge.

Looks like a lot of suggestions for w3schools...I checked it out, it seems pretty easy when you get the hang of it. Just gotta remember stuff, but that's like any language.Maybe I just had a bad experience with those overelaborate myspace codes. :lol:

Yea, there are some real quirks in myspace code, for sure. That isn't a fair proving ground for learning css. It takes a pretty knowledgeable person to write that code. They don't use a Doctype Declaration, so you are fighting with IE Quirks mode. And, unless it has changed, they don't allow the use of Id's, either, so classes are it..

Yeah I find it amusing, like what, a couple of years ago that when people were coding their myspace layouts that they were expert designers or something like that. Half the time the myspace layout they do design are just plain ugly to begin with. I don't know, even when I first started designing back in the day I just didn't like w3cschool website for some reason, I guess it was more or less the fact it was just basic stuff (HTML) mostly. Even after all this time I don't even use it, I go to the site just out of curiosity but thats about it.

I learned first from Dreamweaver, since it set default styles. When I migrated to a standards-based design about two years ago, I started learning from CSS resource sites. Basically, I just plugged in different attributes and played around with them. I also first started making mockups after learning CSS, because that's so much easier than going into a site without knowing a thing about what you plan to do. It's worked well, I must say ;)

I learned from two different ways. I first started on W3schools.com and then after i got the basics and passed the quiz i went on to other means. The other means was when i had a problem ask SM (Saint Michael haha), ok, no really, When i didnt know what a tag was or how to do something i looked it up in google. The practiced a lot. I made about 3 different sites.

Eh css is not that problematic I learned it in one afternoon. Just sit down and read the book called Picture guide to CSS or something similar and then get the basic principle and later on continued it by myself.