xisto Community
kraizii88z

Tailgating Light Tell all those bastards to BACK OFF

My idea is for a light that comes on at the back of your vehicle to warn the guy behind you that he is following too closely. The tailgating light -- a practical response to Road-Rage. Whatch the instances of rage on the road disappear...

It could be automatic, or manual, in your car, or his. it could be an alarm, or a light, just something that shows everyone who's driving properly and who's being an *bottom* (a$$).

Or, my personal favourite, a flashing BACK OFF BASTARD sign that comes on, when some shmo decides to get on your *bottom* (a$$) going 80 mph on the freeway. There could even be an alarm in their car to really throw them off.

How about a light that comes on when ANYTHING is about to come too close? An Immiment Contact Alarm. Practical.

Edited by kraizii88z (see edit history)

I used to have a 3/4 Ton Flatdeck with "work lights" on the Headache rack and if somebody followed me too close, I would "accidently" switch them on. Properly aimed, the offending driver would have very little choice but to back-off. And they worked better as a deterrent once I upgraded the lamps to Halogens. :lol:

Most of the jerks who tailgate know good and well that they're too close. They do it on purpose because they want you to move over, speed up, whatever. A few people might actually do something when they see the "back off light." As a not-too-unfriendly reminder to people who are ACCIDENTALLY tailgating, it isn't bad. Sometimes we all need a little nudge to remind us what to do :lol:

I usually slow down when some idiot decides to tailgate me. Then he usually gets so frustrated he finally passes me in a tizzy. I've noticed they're usually not interested in passing though - they simply like to bully you into driving faster or enjoy the feeling of making someone else uncomfortable. People who tailgate are bullies who don't feel any authority in their own useless, miserable lives, but when they get behind the wheel they suddenly feel powerful. I always find it interesting how the weak choose to express themselves. Bullies need to be put in their place by the strong who won't be intimidated by ego-maniacal losers. Bullies don't respond well to normal, civilized behavior - they perceive it as license to continue being bullies. That's why a tailgate light is such a wonderful idea. If you were to patent and sell this thing there's no way you could keep up with the demand.

I hate it when people tailgate me. I remember I was driving on this one back road going through the country going 65 when the speed limit was 45. This utility van decided to tailgate me so I just slowed down and he passed me and I flipped the bird at him... people that do that *BLEEP* are stupid.

Trust me, someone that has road rage and is tailgating you on purpose would not react well to an anti tailgating light no matter how unoffending it was. A back off bastard sign is very unimaginable as it would just entice them to ram you off the road. Besides - is that really the type of language we want our kids to think is ok to say?And turning on bright lights to get the person to quit tailgating you isn't exactly a good idea. It will ruin their night vision and since they are already close to you - your actions may result in them damaging your tailgate. Such things can actually temporarily blind a person.The best thing to do is to not worry about the tailgater and continue driving in a safe manner. If it's too dangerous - let them by or pull over and wait for them to get ahead of you, they're going faster anyways why not let them by?There are already bumper stickers that have anti tailgating slogans on them. My favorite is "Draft SUV drivers first!"

Yeah I think this is nice idea but that other idea of having alarm when something is getting to close is even better if we would implement that to the cars with some computer system then it could fast calculate whether we are overspeeding and so on. And all this could be implemented with things we already know and have like doppler effect in the similar way in which police checks your speed we could check whether it is your speed up to the road standard and everything. If otherwise you are overspeeding then computer would slow down vehicle.

Nice thought, could work well but what about those huge trucks that sit so far up your butt they can just about see your bonnet. Nice idea though ill get my mother and father to install one on there car :unsure:

I agree with Misanthrope, just sit back, relax and ignore him and he will eventually get frustrated and drive past you or just end up switching lanes. You dont have to do as he pleases you are driving at the speed you are supposed to drive at your lane ao there is nothing he can do about it. He cant force you to break the law.

Well lots of cars these days are fitted with reversing sensors, so im sure they can just use these as well for tailgating sensors, and have a small camera installed to take a picture of their car and license plate. Then u can send them to the police and they can get done for dangerous driving.Other alternatives - Brake hard so they hit you, stop infront of them then get out and start to smash their car... haha just jokes!

-Text-

Yes! If the person behind you is one of those angry types, having a sign swearing at them and flashing would be a very bad idea. Frankly, I'd rather be hit by some bad driver and collect insurance money, than be shot in the head and letting my family collect insurance money.

I have anti tailgating lights on my truck, but most poeple call them brake lights. And since I drive a 85 dodge Ram 150, (old half ton truck) I really don't care if someone hits my bumper, there isn't even paint to take of of it. If someones hits my bumper, I wouldn't even see a sign of it. People can tailgate me all they want, if I get too mad I can just flash the brake lights and if that doesn't stop them... I don't care if they hit me. A 20 year old steel bumper stands up a lot better than a new plastic one. I might even make sure it gets reported so it counts against their lisence and insurance.

Ya tailgaters generally know what they are doing. A brake check isn't going to help much but make them more angry and possibly cause an accident which might get you money but waste your time and paperwork. The thing to do is just keep going at the same speed and if they are that anxious they'll pass you and keep going probably to get a speeding ticket up the road. A lot of the time it's someone mad at something else or in a "hurry" because they like to go fast. Warnings aren't really necessary but it does give no excuse for not having a further following distance.

One of the main issues I have with tail-gaters are deer. Yup, I live in the backwood sticks where deer are a major concern for drivers. But not just deer. Someone recently hit a moose a few miles down the road from me. Amazingly, he suffered no physical harm, but his car was totaled - and so was the poor moose. Sadly, this moose had two young ones who are now orphans. I do hope they survive. The driver was driving at night and going over the speed limit. I actually drive lower than the speed limit at night because that's when the critters come out (and crazy people), and the last thing I wanna do is hit a critter or crazy meth-head stumbling across the road. Well, I guess I'm not so concerned about the crazy meth-head.Now, when an idiot tail-gater rears up me, I will slow down even more to allow myself more breaking latitude. Imagine cruising down the road and breaking for a deer, just to get rear-ended by some moron. I think one of the reasons so many deer get hit is for this very fact. People are afraid to break for them because they know they'll get rear ended by some tail gating idiot if they do. We don't have any four lane roads in my town. Just one each way. If someone decides to tailgate me, I slow way down until they get up the courage to pass. I'm not going to increase my speed or risk the life of an innocent animal just because someone else feels like being a bully. I don't know if this true everywhere, but I've noticed a strange phenomenon in the Northwestern part of the States. It's one of the reasons I never bother to speed up if someone tail gates. It seems no matter how fast I go, the tail gater will risk life and limb to catch up with me. And he's hardly ever interested in passing. He simply wants to stick like glue to my bumper. Is he a bully, or is he so afraid of being alone on the highway he must seek the solace of my tail light? Either way, I refer to these kind of folks as, "cling ons." And like that proverbial monkey on my back, I can't help but feel the need to shake 'em off.

haha..nice idea =) tailgating light. it can be used to tell people who are tailgating you to back off...but then again, some people would no doubt abuse this nifty tool. use it to disturb others =\ there are loads of inconsiderate people out there...it can't be helped ^^"haha, i saw what imacul8 suggested as an alternative:"Other alternatives - Brake hard so they hit you, stop infront of them then get out and start to smash their car... haha just jokes!"well..heres a better idea that CAN work. if some idiot is following you too closely, brake hard and accelerate right at the last minute, the guy will no doubt brake like crazy.. would scare teh crap out of him and he wouldn't want to follow you anymore xD you need to be careful while doing this though =)