xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
MusicOnly

Few Joomla Problems! Nothing serious but...

Hello! I dont know if this is the right place to open this topic. Probably is because i am hosted! Well i have been avoiding this topic but i am afraid that i cant solve this alone. It`s nothing serious, just few little warnings, errors, fixes..

Where to start?

OK, i have site powered by joomla. I installed a loads of components, mambots etc. which will help me to maintain the site!

I also have SMF forums and i had to bridge them with joomla-smf bridge made by joomlahacks.com

MY site is TheMusicOnly

My joomla version is: 1.0.12

My SMF version is: 1.1.2

Joomla-Smf bridge by Joomlahacks is version : 2.0.2

SMF theme: Black Rain made by Crip

Here comes the problems!

SECURITY:

First, this is normal when you install joomla, you get warning that you need to set globals emulation off. I did that! But the problem is that i also need to set PHP register_globals OFF! I have been looking for it in all files but i couldn't find part "register_globals" in any php script! Then i got this <<LINK>> which was supposed to help me.

I found out that this PHP option needs to be set in file called "php.ini". Problem; I cant find that file!

They said that this is file from my host provider, so if anyone knows more, please help!

(problem solved by jlhaslip! Thanks jlhaslip)

USER REGISTRATION

Second problem is with user registration!

I did set enable user registration i global configuration and option require activation! I get messages from people that they haven't received the activation mail! I don't get it! I have set this options right but users cant activate themselves. I need to manually activate them through back end admin zone.

BRIDGE

Third problem is connected probably to bridge!

When i register new user, i get activation link, and after i login SMF shows "newest user: Test". When i delete test from joomla, from administrator zone and go to forum, forum still shows newest user:test! I set the "all rights" in mysql for:

Mysql Joomla Account->Mysql Forum Database

Mysql Forum Account-->Mysql Joomla Database

Because i thought this was problem. Actually, both Joomla and SMF are installed on same database because bridge required this.

FORUM BUTTONS

Fourth problem is with my forum!

Since Joomla and SMF are connected when you hover on Navigation in SMF you can see /component/option_smf which is normally seen in joomla. This is ok but the problem is that i added extra button in SMF navigation, called "main site" which leads to joomla site. And here comes the problem! I login to the Joomla, go to the forum, and when i click on button MAIN SITE, it returns me back to Joomla but i am no longer login! I want this fixed so i can jump from forums to joomla and vice versa without need of second, third login!(problem solved by MusicOnly)

FORUM TEMPLATE: HEADER

Fifth problem is also connected to forum but with its template! As you can see on my forum there is no banner, only small text saying TheMusicOnly. I want to add banner but when i edit style css to show the banner it`s still the same! I thought this is CHMOD problem but it`s not!

Finally this is it(i guess :lol: )!

Well i dont expect one man to know the answer to all of the problems! Help me with what you can! Any help is welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

MY site is TheMusicOnly

Edited by MusicOnly (see edit history)

The file php.ini is set by the admins of the server, and you cannot change it. It affects everyone's hosting and contains all the settings to run PHP. Unfortunately you will not be able to get that issue fixed unless you host yourself or get a dedicated server. For the emails, are they using Hotmail, AOL or something like that? They often block automated registration emails. If a few users are getting emails, and some are not, then the issue most likely lies with the users SPAM filters and not with your configuration. Try signing up for a new account yourself using your hosting email account and see if the email arrives.Thats all I can help you with at the moment, but I will see if I can come up with anything for the other 3 issues.

Is there any possible solution for the php.ini problem. Maybe if i can create my file called php.ini which will only have function register_globals off?

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Php has an ini_set function, but it is not effective at run-time for register_globals since the server settings are already declared before the script is run, or some such thing.
There is some discussion on that link about settings in .htaccess which might work for you, though.

Thanks Jlhaslip for your help! I added "php_flag register_globals off" in .htaccess and now it works perfect! I ll stroke that problem in my post! Thanks again!

OK i solved Fourth problem! Basically i needed to enter ,not ordinary link like themusiconly.info, link with whole bunch of //. I had to include /components/etc....Now it works fine!and SMF forum banner;i cleared code a little bit and after that uploaded pic again and now it works fine!Two more problems to go!

Edited by MusicOnly (see edit history)

Are you still having the problem with user's not recieving their activation email?If so this may be because you havn't got the mail function to work!If your contact me form (providing you enabled it!!!) works for you,then this is not the case! just another idea :unsure: hope it can still help you.

for the user registration problems, i run joomla, ive used both, 1.0.12 and joomla 1.5, and both had that same problem, ive tried to get it fixed but it didnt work out, the conformation email would be sent, but the confomation link would not work, so what i would suggest to you man, is to disable registration conformations, it would make things loads easier for you, if you fear a security risk, i dont think you would get one, i think the conformation code upon registration seems good enough to keep them automated regisrators away.even though i said all this, i would also still like to have working conformation emails, so if u mangae to find a fix, can u pm it to me?