xisto Community
Misanthrope

Start Your Garden Inside A Seed Starter Primer for Northern Climes

Start Your Garden Inside

A Seed Starting Primer for Northern Climes

If you?re itching to get your hands dirty, there?s no need to wait for the snow to melt. You can get started right now on this year?s garden by getting a head start indoors. Now?s the time to get organized and figure out what you want to grow, especially if you?re located in a northern, short-season climate. Some folks spend the winter pouring over seed catalogs, but most of us don?t have time for such luxuries. I usually pick whatever?s available from Walmart, as the prices are reasonable and the selection fair. Don?t let anyone tell you seeds can?t be saved for several years. You?ll often have seeds leftover, and they will store quite nicely if kept in a dry, dark place. I usually stuff all the leftover seed bags into jar and store in the basement until the following year.

In order to time your indoor starts correctly, you?ll need to figure out which USDA gardening ?zone? you are located in. I am in zone 5, which means winters can get down to 20 below (I?ve seen them get lower). It also means my average last frost date happens around May 28. Because my frost date is so late, I have to start some of my plants inside several weeks before planting time. Otherwise, the plants will not produce fruit in time for harvest season. I have to factor in elevation and a unique micro-climate as well. I?m in a mountainous area some 1500 feet higher than the surrounding valleys, but my garden gets southwestern exposure, mitigating some of the elevation difference. Oddly enough, the valleys are often colder in the winter, as cold air travels down the mountainside and settles in the valleys many cold pockets. It?s not unusual for those of us at the higher elevations to experience sunshine while the valleys are covered in thick fog. But being at this elevation means my last frost comes a good two weeks later. Finding your zone is important, but check with local gardeners for the best information on frost dates.

If you haven?t done so already, get those peppers in the dirt right now. The general order of seed starting goes something like this:

10 weeks before your last frost: Peppers, Cabbage, Broccoli, Cauliflower and Brussel Sprouts

6 weeks before last frost: Tomatoes, Eggplant

4 weeks before last frost: Melon

You?ll notice a lot of vegetables are left out of this list. That?s because they can be direct seeded in your garden, and there?s no need to go through the hassle of starting them indoors. Most hardware and garden stores sell seed starter trays at a minimal cost, or you can use whatever you have laying around that happens to be 2? deep. Cream cheese containers, old milk cartons, tupperware ? they?ll all do the trick. Just make sure you poke a couple holes in the bottom for drainage. I personally like the plastic trays I bought at a local feed and seed, and have re-used them year after year. While you?re there, pick up some seed starter dirt. It?s a little pricier than regular potting soil, but you?ll get a higher germination rate and healthier starts.

If you plan to make gardening a regular hobby, consider building yourself a plant stand. Similar in appearance to a bookshelf, this stand will allow you to hang lights on each shelf. No need to spend a fortune on fancy grow lights. The cheap fluorescent lights sold at hardware stores are your best bet. A small investment in a grow stand will pay off dividends year after year.

Once you have your tools, it?s time to get started. Get a large bowl to put your seed starter soil in, then wet it down with some water. Not enough to where the soil is saturated, but well moistened. Transfer the soil to your desired containers. If you?re using commercial trays, you?ll plant one seed per small cell. If using a larger container, plant seeds about two inches apart. Make a small indentation in the soil with a pencil about ?? deep, then drop in the seed. Tap down lightly, covering the seed with soil while not compacting it. Now mist with warm water and label the container. Next, cover the container with clear plastic to keep the environment moist. If the soil is allowed to dry up, the seeds won?t germinate. Commercial seed starting trays often come with plastic lids, but in lieu of that, simply wrap in a clear plastic bag, but leave a small air gap to prevent mold growth.

I use a heating blanket to increase germination rates and keep sun-loving plants happy. Lay the blanket on your growing surface, then place the plant container on top of it. You may want to lay a sheet of plastic on top of the blanket just to protect it from dirt and spills.

Once the seeds germinate and raise their little heads out of the dirt, you can turn off the blanket and turn on the fluorescent light (the lights will now provide the heat). Use a timer and set the light to stay on about 18 hours a day. The lights should hang just two or three inches above the seedlings, and be raised little by little as they grow. It?s important to keep those lights hovering just above the plants. If hung too high, the plants will grow tall, spindly and weak as they strain to seek out the light. A short, stocky plant is a healthy plant.

Once the seedlings have sprouted their second set of true leaves (the first one doesn?t count), it?s time to pot those babies up to bigger containers. You could waste money on expensive store pots, but why bother when cheap styrofoam cups work just as well. Poke a couple holes in the bottom and fill with regular potting soil, then gently transplant the babies into their new homes. Then water with a weak solution of fertilizer. Keep them under the fluorescent lights until ready for their final transplant: the garden.

But before you get too excited, there?s a short transition your young plants should go through before being subjected to the harsh realities of outdoor life. Until now, they?ve had it easy with the protected environment you?ve given them. No wind, rain, cold, or direct sun. They will need a short period of adjustment before being thrown to Mother Nature. This time is referred to in gardening vernacular as the ?hardening off? phase. Set the little guys out on your deck a short time each day, exposing them in larger and larger increments to the elements. Make sure you bring them back inside each time, and don?t set them out if it?s too windy or rainy. After they?ve adjusted to your porch (or other protected area), set them out on a less protected area in increments. After about a week of ?hardening off,? they are finally ready to transplant to your garden, and hopefully, provide you with a bounty of produce!

If you have any questions fire away....I've been doing this the past four years and can probably answer most of your questions right here. If not, I can certainly point you in the right direction. Or maybe you want to share your own seed starting experience. All the better, as gardening is an ongoing information-gathering process and we can all learn from eachother....

Edited by Misanthrope (see edit history)

Great post, maybe you can shed some light on the problem I had this year. I had a fair germination rate, but the plants failed to thrive. The seed was fresh, most purchased from Heritage Seed Co. We are trying to collect varieties that we can save our own seed from and that is what this company specializes in. I did pretty much everything you listed, though I did use regular potting soil. I had them under a grow light and everything. I planted one entire package of Big Jim pepper plants (I think that was the variety) and virtually every seed sprouted, however, none of them were able to break out of the seed cap. They got about an inch tall and the little seed just stuck to them until they died. It's been a very dissapointing growing season so far. But my driveway flower bed is doing great! Flowers are actually growing like weeds! I'm new here, so I am going to try to post a picture of what the bed looked like last year, hope this works......Well, looks like maybe I'm not smart enough to get it to post.Sorry about the double post, I'm still trying to figure out how everything works here.

Notice from serverph:
merged.

post-44799-1181932890_thumb.jpg

Howdy Sheepdog (you wouldn't by chance be a sheepdog fan?). :)

I did pretty much everything you listed

Peppers are a little touchy. Sounds like you were trying an heirloom variety? I like them too, especially given the possibility of saving viable seed. These days it's almost an act of protest given Monsanto's encroachment on the seed industry. Other than not using seed starter soil, was there anything else that may have been omitted from the starting process? If everything else was followed to the "t," my guess is the seed itself wasn't good, and I would get a refund. Another possibility is they weren't kept moist enough during the sprouting process and dried up. In the future, you may try keeping a mister on hand for times when the seed seems "stuck."
But don't give up, Sheepdog! It's not too late to start some more peppers indoors. You'll just want to pot them up to planters instead of out into the garden this time, that way you can bring them inside when things start turning cold (I'm guessing you're in a northern clime).

Look forward to seeing pictures of your driveway flower bed. Sounds like it's much more colorful than mine..

Yes, I actually did mist them too. Did everything else right too. One question, how far do you keep your grow lights away from the plants? Mine was about 8 inches, I'm thinking maybe too far? I also may of not regulated the lights just perfect, forgot to turn them off a few nights.That Heritage seed co is really nice, they do have a web site, but the place is not very far from where I live, so we went over there when they were having one of their garden shows. It was a lot of fun, they had old time costumes on, and were playing live folk music, a real party! Lots of vendors with plants, garden ideas, demonstrations, and all kinds of neat stuff. Oh, and yes, you guessed it, I am a big Old English Sheepdog fan, can't ya tell? :)

Yes, I actually did mist them too. Did everything else right too.

No wonder you're disappointed. I would be too after going to all that trouble. May as well get a refund from Heritage, 'cause it sounds like everything was done right from your end. I don't think having the lights eight inches away from the seedlings would have prevented them from sprouting correctly. I usually keep the lights just a few inches above the plants to keep them from getting too spindly. The further the light is the more they have a tendency to reach. The goal is to produce a short, stocky plant. Not sure if I mentioned it in the original post, but having a fan on helps to this end as well, as the stems bulk up as they build up resistance to the air circulation.
I'm not sure what happens when the lights are kept on all day and night. The growers around here suggest keeping them on around 17-18 hours a day, which seems a little high, but it seems to work.

Yeah, I love those garden shows and farmer's markets when all the country folk show up with their wares and awesome produce. Very inspiring. Makes me want to go home and try doing the same thing. How they manage to get their produce out so early in the season remains somewhat of a mystery to me.

I have absolutely no idea how I guessed you love sheepdogs! :) My favorite canine is the rottweiler.

Well, I do have a few tricks for early crops! One is of course, the clear plastic crop row covers. Or, if your cheap like me, you can save those 2 liter plastic soda bottles, or milk cartons. (any clear or light plastic jugs) Cut off the pour out end, and then just thumb tack them to short scrap pieces of 2X4, or anything else you have handy to weight them down and put them over your plants at night, or in case of frost warnings. Another trick is to hill up a row of dirt, then cover it with black plastic. This helps it to drain, so it isn't so wet the seeds rot, and the black plastic soaks up the heat and warms the soil so the seeds will go ahead and germinate. This trick works real well with green beans. Rotts are one of the few breeds I have never owned. Nothing against them in particular, there are some really nice Rotts out there, but there are also a lot of mediocre ones. It is a breed that is being bred too far from it's original working purpose (butchers dog) and in so doing, temperment issues and other problems are not helping the breed at all. Oh, if you want to check out that seed place, the web address is http://www.rareseeds.com/

Well, I do have a few tricks for early crops! One is of course, the clear plastic crop row covers.

Thanks for the excellent ideas. I know a couple farmers around here utilize greenhouses, but our property is pretty hilly. We'd have to excavate. I've been trying to get my hands on some "floating row covers," otherwise known as "remay" but no one seems to carry it around it here. And since I'm also a tight wad, I'm remiss to order them through a catalog 'cause of the shipping costs. Guess I might have to break down though, 'cause we'll probably get our first frost in September and I want to be ready. I like your trick with the green beans and black plastic. I've heard some people use red plastic around their tomatoes, though I've never tried it myself.
Yeah, I know what you mean about Rotties. I did some rescue work with them and back-yard breeders have definitely taken their toll on the breed, but then - they seem to have that effect on everything they touch. I lost my Rott (Helga) several years ago when she died suddenly at the age of seven. Since then I've only fostered, though Helga herself was a rescue dog from the Humane Society, and had suffered at the hand of some back-yard breeder piece of trash. She was just a puppy and the shelter had to remove one of her eyes because the breeder allowed it to get infected to the point of no return, then dumped her at the shelter for someone else to deal with. I guess she was no longer "marketable" with just one eye. As it turns out, she got along just fine with one eye. Cats, however, are a perennial favorite at our household. I can't remember a time in my life (other than traveling) when at least one cat wasn't blessing me with it's presence.

*checking out oldseed.com* :)

Hilly were you are too eh? No shortage of those here in the Ozark Mounains! Years ago my X and I decided to build a log barn, we picked the flatest spot on the property and for a 15 x 20 ft. barn on the 15 ft. side, we had 2 1/2 feet of drop! And here you can't even excavate, you'd just did up more rocks! :) I hear what you say about back yard breeders, but then again, there are a lot of "show" breeders that are no better. When they breed strictly for beauty and the ability to win ribbons, and forget health, temperment and the few dozen other equally important aspects of breeding nobody wins. And as I am now completely "catless" if anybody has any ideas for rodent control, I'm all ears! We have tried everything, I set traps every day, we put out poison, even got those electronic gizmo's that are supposed to run them off. The ^($*)@*)&_&^%#( stinking mice are about to drive me crazy. I won't even let the hired help annoy and snakes they see crawling about. Nothing is even making a dent in them.

Hilly were you are too eh? No shortage of those here in the Ozark Mounains!

Oh yeah! It would be no exaggeration to say we live on the side of a mountain. I have relatives in Missouri and I remember visiting a park in what I assume was located in the Ozarks. Beautiful country, and a great place for self sufficiency as it's relatively undiscovered. I remember how uncrowded that park was compared to the place I was living at the time. Now I'm located in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains near the Canadian border. The main drawback being the short growing season. Folks who live down in the valley near the river get considerably longer growing fun.

I hear what you say about back yard breeders, but then again, there are a lot of "show" breeders that are no better.

Most definitely. It bothers me that people continue to breed critters so recklessly when so many unwanted little souls languish in the shelters.

And as I am now completely "catless" if anybody has any ideas for rodent control, I'm all ears!

Well heck! Get yourself down to your nearest shelter and adopt some kitty beasts! If you're in a rural environment you can set them loose on the rodent infestation without worrying about them getting hit by cars or poisoned by some kind neighbor. You can attract skunks to your property by leaving out peanut butter. Apparently, rats are one of their favored dining options. :)

Wonder what park it was? This is some really beautiful country, I wouldn't want to live any where else. I'm pretty well suited to these hills, ticks don't even like me. If one is so foolish to bite me, it dies. How's that for cool! :) But oh lordy, if I went to a shelter and asked for cats, for a barn, they would no doubt tar and feather me! Most shelter will only adopt out cats to inside only homes. And sorry, no skunks here either thank you, they are major carriers of rabies. This state would be rabies free by now if it wasn't for the wild population of skunks. Funny thing about the pet overpopulation thing, now that you mention it. Did you know that they are dragging in thousands of dogs from other contries to the US now to supply the shelter populations? Seems they are having some shortages. They even spent over $300,000 to fly in a plane load from the war zone. Gads, do you realize how many low cost/free spay neuters that could of paid for? (if memory serves me correctly, I believe they "rescued" about 300 dogs/cats for their $300,000) Talk about having more money than brains!

The park wasn't too far from Troy Missouri, where some of my relatives lived at the time. It was the first time in my life I'd ever seen buzzards (I thought they were pretty cool). Actually it was the first time I'd seen a lot of things - like pickled pigs feat and greased pig contests, and folks used terms like "sodi" instead of "pop." It was also the first time I'd ever ridden a horse, saw fireflies or walked through a corn field. And I got to help my grandfather shell black eyed peas. It was a taste of the country I took back with me to the city, sans the pigs feat. Thankfully, city life is now a thing of the past. We've got our fair share of ticks up here too....nasty things. What constructive purpose can they possibly serve? Kinda like fleas only worse. Thankfully, it gets so freakin' cold here in the winter blood sucking fleas don't seem to thrive. We've got these weird insects called "snow fleas" that thrive in the snow. Thankfully, they don't seem to be intent on sucking my blood. Still working on my tick immunity, though. Yeah, you're certainly right about shelter critters and adoption policies. The fact is indoor cats live longer - generally speaking. We've got two cats which we allow outside during the day, but we get them in well before nightfall so they don't fall prey to coyotes, dog packs and the like. If I lived in an urban area I wouldn't even let them out during the day. Too many cat haters and unknowns out there. Skunks and rabies ......oh dear. Guess I better be more careful, 'cause I get awfully close to the little guys on occasion. Do they spread it mostly to dogs? They've acted pretty tame toward me so far. Some people take them in as pets after they get them "de-skunked." Me, I prefer the traditional cat or dog as pet.Seems I did hear something about shelter animals being shipped up from Mexico - as if we don't have enough unwanted animals here. We're busting at the seams, for crying out loud! Funny, this seems to parallel our misguided immigration policy as well. We invite hungry mouths from without when we can't (or won't) even take care of those from within. It would be funny (in a tragic-comic sort of way) if it weren't so true.

I had them under a grow light

What kind of grow light are you using? There are many different kinds, sounds to me like your using Floro's, if they were the 40 watt stick type. They do not generate enough heat to burn your seedlings. You can practically put it right on top of them, When I was useing them. I'd put them about 1" above the seedlings, with a fan, to help strengthen the stems. I now use 200 watt Compact floro's with a fan, and they need to be about 6" above the seedlings, to prevent burning.

none of them were able to break out of the seed cap.

This problem is called freeze off, they can't break out, and the new seedling dies. The only way I know to fix this problem is to remove the seed shell, if the plant looks like it's gonna freeze off. You have to be very careful removing the seed cap when doing this. I use two toothpicks to accomplish this, and yes I've killed many Pepper and Tomato plants, learning how to do this right.
I add this part only to serve as another Idea, in the gardening arena.
Have you ever tried to grow Hydroponicly?
I grow Tomatoes and Peppers most of the year with HID lighting, and what I've done in the past is to, Take cuttings from the Tomato or Pepper plant and clone them, Put them outside, and when it is time to bring them in take more cuttings, and keep right on growing the same plant. I've kept 1 tomato plant for 2 years, just taking cuttings.
Tomato's believe it or not clone rather easily, Peppers are a little more difficult to clone, but it can be done.
I'm not gonna lie to ya here. Indoor Gardening is an expensive hobby to get started in. The hydroponic chambers are rather cheap, or you can build one. The lights are the expensive part, a used 400 watt High Pressure Sodium Light is about $350 US, and about 25 bucks a month to run. Well worth it when you can eat fresh homegrown tasty Tomatoes and Peppers, when its blowing snow outside!!!!

Hummmm.....that's interesting. I didn't know they had hydroponic set ups for inside homes. That would be cool! We have wanted a greenhouse for years, just never have the time or money to set one up. We have a great south facing hill that an earth sheltered greenhouse would be perfect on. How are the hyrdo tomatoes on taste? I absolutly refuse to eat tomatoes in the winter, they taste greatly simular to cardboard and are not in the least appealing to me. But vine ripened, home grown, oh my, heaven on earth! I noticed tonight that our one and only tomato plant in the frount yard has 2 tomatoes just starting to get a bit of orange tint, thank goodness 2 will come ripe about the same time so I don't have to arm wrestle the old man for the first one!I did try to remove the cap on a couple of the pepper plants, but they were stuck tight and I just broke the tops off and killed 'em anyway. Pretty bummed out over that one. Oh well, maybe next year. At least my driveway flower bed is looking good. Although I may of planted it too thick. First time I have ever seen flowers so thick they choke out the weeds! It is mostly Zinna's and cosmo's. Hey, what's a good organic spray for the mold (I think it's mold) that turns zinna leaves black? I haven't had it too bad in previous years, usually doesn't effect them until real late season, but this year they are so thick I may have some problems and would like to head them off if possible.LOL, you caught the immigration thing too I see. Isn't that just nuts!? And even funnier one (well, really not funny if it passes) is the new proposed mandatory spay/neuter law for ALL pets over age 4 months now proposed in California! Good Grief, they can't even control illegal aliens, how are they going to police pets?????It is funny to talk to people from different area's even in this country. I always assumed that buzzards and fireflys were everywhere. The pigs feet thing though....being from the country and seeing where pigs feet spend their lives makes me think there are much better things out there to eat, even Moutain oysters aren't wallowed in the muck 24/7 :) I agree, I have never been able to think of one single reason to have ticks on this earth. Flys are up there close to as useless, mosquito's do at least furnish baby fishes some food, but ticks? They are completely without any reason for existance. Yes, please do be careful around skunks. If you see one acting strangly, stay away! I've been told that when a skunk is acting friendly or unafraid, it is most likely rabid.

LOL, you caught the immigration thing too

Heck yeah I caught it! :) Excellent analogy, by the way. Our country has literally been sold out from under us, and the public concerns itself with Paris Hilton and the like. Meanwhile, Bush and his corporate puppeteers push for "amnesty" for millions of illegal aliens. Yes, Kookifornia seems to be the testing ground for all things draconian and anti-American, I've noticed. Last place in the country (short of Florida) I'd ever live. I imagine it's just a matter of time before that state bans gardening as well. Monsanto (the seed Nazis) might not want the public propagating any "dangerous," non-hybrid seed that they can't control. They only have our best interest at heart, ya understand. :)

This problem is called freeze off

Interesting. I wonder what causes it, though? In Sheepdog's case, all the seed was affected even though she took all the standard precautions. I've thought about getting into hydroponics to support a more self sufficient lifestyle. In a time or war or disaster, food shipments to grocery stores could cease for days, weeks, or months on end. On the other hand (this is my lazy side talking), I kind of like the respite winter provides from summer's gardening toil. More time for sitting on my butt, reading, writing and drinking Tequila. I'd sure be interesting in hearing more about hydroponics, though. At least no weed pulling is involved!

Oh, I understand all too well. My friend calls California the Peoples Republic of California, but I just call it the land of Fruits and Nuts. We pass through there just briefly every year and I always hold my breath till we get out, because I'm sure I'm breaking some law that I am totally unaware of. When you control the food supply, you control the people. Look at the way people are screaming about the oil companys these days. Wait until giant coperate farms are in control of what we eat and then listen to the screaming. And as you say, all we hear from the media is Paris Hilton this, OJ that, like who really cares? Funny we were just discusing skunks and of all things, last night about the time I decided it was time to hit the sack, I got a whiff of that old familiar smell, I realized our house dog, a miniture schnauzer that thinks she rules the world, was out sitting on the front porch yapping her head off, and I thought, OH NO, she's been had. Luckily she must of just spooked him. She was ok, and the oder soon drifted off, but had me going for a minute. I never see skunks around the house for some reason, maybe too many dogs, I know they are thick in this neck of the woods, I see a lot of them as road kill.