xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Google Pack Add In New Security Goodies

Well google is trying to become a premier software company they have announce they they added in new security stuff into their google pack a norton anti-virus software and a spyware remover called Spyware Doctor, It is availiable now

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ i

t works with windows XP and Vista Firefox 1.0+ and IE6+ so if your a google nut and it must be a something that you need then knock yourself out :lol:. But they do mention that having to many security programs running at hte same time do in fact slow down your computer down. I give it a run through and see if they features are worth the download and I get back to you, or if someone always has this pack let us know.

Source

Here

From the beginning, Google had included Norton AntiVirus in their Pack. Last time I checked, it came with a 6 month subscription for antivirus definitions.

Now it includes Norton Security Scan. If you read the fineprint at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ you will find that the NSS will detect spyware/adware but will not remove it. NAV could detect AND remove all types of malware. Probably a publicity stunt by Symantec :lol:

Not that it matters, considering you get Spyware Doctor. I don't like the sound of "starter edition" though. Here's the stuff you DON'T get in starter edition which you DO get in the paid version :

- Startup Guard - Browser Guard
- Process Guard
- Cookie Guard
- Keylogger Guard
- Network Guard
- Site Guard

I used the paid version for a while (got it off the cover CD of a computer magazine). It's quite a good piece of software, but it had big problems removing an installation of Elitum.Elitebar. As for the starter version, you're probably better off with Spybot S&D.

Ther other stuff is pretty good. Especially the Google Software. Speaking of which, Google is planning to develop their own OS based on Ubuntu Linux.

About Google Video Player, this bit surprised me:

Play videos purchased and downloaded through the Google Video website

purchased?

Does Google Video SELL videos now? If so, I much prefer YouTube. What's happening to it? Are YouTube and Google Vid still seperate sites or are they going to be merged at some point?
Edited by phpandsql (see edit history)

Google Video and Youtube aren't merged at the moment, and I personally don't think that it would be good if they merged them though. There are good points and bad points with both of the sites and merging them wouldn't be a good idea. One reason Google hasn't and probably won't merge them is because Youtube was popular how it was before Google bought it, so I don't think Google wants to muck that up.Back on topic: When I went to the link you posted, it didn't say that Norton Antivirus was included in the Pack. Could it be releated to country? I am in New Zealand maybe Googles agreement said something like Norton would only be avaliable to certain places in the world. If it is included, Google Pack is just going to turn into a huge program that includes trial versions of programs, really it's going to turn into something like a CD you would find attached to the front of a computer magazine.