xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

New Virus Masking As Ie7 Download

Yesterday it was reported that their a new virus masking as a IE7 download using a very creative looking email message with a link instead of a attachment.

Name of the virus is called Virus.Win32.Grum.A,, they mention that their hasn't been much damage cause by this however, since they mention that instead of the download being attach they are providing a link. So once a person clicks that link the virus will kick in. Their hasn't been any reports about what the virus payload is, they do mention that it usually carries a keylogger program. Funny enough this virus will only attack windows running computers and that most big vendor security firms havn't picked this virus up yet.

So make sure to not download a beta version of windows from a email, even though the full version of IE 7 is already out.

Security experts reported no widespread damage Friday morning, but they said the virus is notable for a couple of reasons. The e-mail includes a convincing graphic that looks like it could really be from Microsoft, and the virus is delivered when recipients click on a link rather than in an attachment, which makes it harder to stop it from reaching in-boxes.
"The idea of sending a link seems to be a trend among attackers; it's still fairly new and it works much better than sending a file," said Mikko Hypponen, chief research officer at F-Secure.

The e-mails carry the subject line "Internet Explorer 7 Downloads" and appear to come from admin@microsoft.com. They include a blue, Microsoft-style graphic offering a download of IE 7 beta 2. Clicking the graphic will download an executable file called IE 7.exe.

Sources

Here
Here

lol. Don't you just LOVE these phishermen? Out of interest, has anyone using Windoze Live Mail received these messages? If so, does the Sender ID Verification thingy pick up "admin@microsoft.com" as failing the verification? I'd laugh if MS's email service failed to pick up someone phishing an M$ email. And besides, why would you even use IE7 in the first place? Right now I'm using Opera. I usually use Firefox but my installation has some problems with IPB which causes it to display a "stopped" message for no apparent reason, before refusing flat-out to load any other page. I've seen the new IE7. It's M$'s version of Firefox and Opera. It $UCK$.

:P I won't ever download IE 7 again, so I'm protected B) I could see Mozilla Firefox in the future, IE 7 can never be trusted couse of the VBScript and the ActiveX. The hackers often find security holes, and the updates are slowly applicated - weeks of wait before MS make the apropriate update. Also if you have disabled the automatic updates, you could bring yourself big problems. Firefox downloads the updates automatically, so you should not worry. Edited by ZaM0 (see edit history)

lol. Don't you just LOVE these phishermen?
Out of interest, has anyone using Windoze Live Mail received these messages? If so, does the Sender ID Verification thingy pick up "admin@microsoft.com" as failing the verification? I'd laugh if MS's email service failed to pick up someone phishing an M$ email.

And besides, why would you even use IE7 in the first place? Right now I'm using Opera. I usually use Firefox but my installation has some problems with IPB which causes it to display a "stopped" message for no apparent reason, before refusing flat-out to load any other page.

I've seen the new IE7. It's M$'s version of Firefox and Opera. It $UCK$.

Yeah, I use firefox and love it. It's faster and the addons rule.