xisto Community
hotchick2121

The Big Debate On Cloning Just something i think...

For or against cloning?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey guys i just wanted to share my thoughts on cloning with you....so here goes:Cloning, genetic engineering, and other forms of biotechnology are fast advancing, and there's no denying it. The question is: Is this advance good for the human race, or is it bad? Cloning of humans is seriously unethical and immoral and should be addressed soon because of its grave consequences. Opposing cloning takes sophisticated knowledge and a mature mind to look past the big: It can save lives excuse. The dilemma with cloning is not how many lives it can save, but how many lives it can endanger and horribly alter. The practice of cloning humans is unethical because it diminishes human individuality. Cloning eliminates uniqueness, dehumanizes people, and creates an object-image into people's mind.When we discover the most effective and safest way to clone humans, it will be devastating. Humans would be cloned for intelligence, athletic ability, beauty, or other forms that please the society's image. Individuals would be cloned to create replacements for parents who have lost a child. It is said no one has the same fingerprint as you. No one is like you. You are unique and special and there is no one in the world like you. That is the message society teaches us as we grow and mature, but what happens to the clones? Individuals who are cloned would not be individuals anymore. They would be drones, robots created to carry out assigned tasks. It would transform these clones to share a social identity with another human, instead of earning their own. They would share genes, and fingerprints with someone else. An exact replica of someone else. Crafted in the image of someone else. Not original, not one-of-a-kind, One-of-someone-else. Clones are not robots though, far from it. Clones are humans, real, living humans with emotions, dreams, thoughts, ambitions, and a soul, and cloning will take these human-qualities away. Cloning will begin a dehumanizing process. The clone's dreams and ambitions may not match with those that have been set for them. The reason for their creation would not be pleasing to them. How could you feel if someone created you to be something you are not? Could you live like that? A clone would have aspirations that are unique, even if their physical body isn't. You cannot put your empty hopes and unfulfilled dreams into another living equal. It is not reasonable, it is not plausible, and moreover, it's not moral.Not only will cloning eradicate human qualities, it would create and object-image of humans. Clones would be manufactured to serve as a vessel of spare parts, to be used for harvesting organs and blood when needed, and when you use humans in this way, they change. They are not human anymore. It transforms humans in to something, inhuman objects. Humans have a natural-born right to a unique identity. Cloning threatens this natural right. Engineering one's entire personal, private genetic make-up would compromise their right to a unique human identity. Individuals created by cloning would lack conception. The relationship and bond between parent and child is purely natural and cannot be meddled in with technology. Reproduction with machines, such a symbol of our mechanical conquerment, would depersonalize the natural acts of begetting children. Technological reproduction would tempt people to view children clones and acts of technological advancements and not as what they truly are: Beautiful accomplishments of nature. This therefore creates in our mind an image of children being achievements, as products, and our desire for high quality associated with buying technology objects would push us to demand higher-quality humans.Cloning has raised many questions over whether science has gone too far. Many believe, in this aspect, it has. What is the purpose of cloning a person who will grow up to be regarded as less of a person whose humanity and dignity would not be fully respected? When we start to view humans as objects or toys to buy, it starts many processes. Objectification is one of these classifications. Objectification is treating the child, or clone as an object- a creature less deserving of or respect for his or her human qualities. Commodification is sometimes associated with objectification in the way that they both dehumanize clones, but commodification is another process in which clones are treated as commodities. They are treated as a thing that can be exchanged, bought, or sold in a marketplace. When such cloning is undertaken not for any benefit of the cloned himself or herself, but rather to satisfy such avaricious needs of others pursuing a longer happier life in expense of others, it starts to transform un-cloned humans to. It transforms them into greedy animals that care not of how many lives are to be created and destroyed for their sake of living. So, in conclusion, when dealing with cloning, there is no possible solution including the further research and pursuing this medical advancement. There is only one resolution and that is to raze all further implements of cloning and genetic engineering for the safety of the entire human race. The potential risks and morality issues vastly outweigh the possible benefits.Sorry it's so long!Please give me you ideas and comments and views on cloning, i know there is already a topic about cloning but i wanted you to review my ideas.

There was some ambiguity in the question, so I modified the Poll to clarify the question. And as you will discover in your Stats Class, the third and fourth answers are always options which should be offered.* end lecture here *I do not agree with cloning. There are too many reasons why, so the short answer becomes I think it un-natural. If God woulda wanted us to live longer he woulda... (fill answer in here)...Diversity is what makes Humans what they are. Gotta love the fact that we are all different. :lol:

I'll have to agree with you on that. Diversity is what makes the world go round (not money :lol:). And most of these companies wanting to cash in on the cloning market.The amount of social conflicts that'll be brought up on this topic is huge. But I will say this...The bad things that it could bring into being far outweigh and possible good outcome.

I do believe cloning will be beneficial - if used incorrectly war will be unnecessary, and if we get to a good enough stage in cloning we might just be able to grow individual replacement organs(without a body) for ourselves.

If God woulda wanted us to live longer he woulda... (fill answer in here)...

1. I do not believe in divine intervention.2. Cloning will not copy your neurotical state - the clone still has a mind of its own even though it has the same body as you do.
3. By the time a clone matures enough to make a brain transplant feasable you'll probably be dead.
4. Due to the scarring of nerve tissue, and some other various reasons it is not possible to transplant a brain, at least at this point.
5. If God didn't want us to triumph over problems that would otherwise shorten our lives, the entire medical community would have been already slain by a hoarde of angels and spears.

What I would be really worried about would be stem cells, because unlike cloning, stem cells can be abused to kill, deform, and do other various things to humans that would simply not be preferrable.

As for individuality, yes they will still have it. A clone makes a person look the same but they are not going to act the same. They will have different interests, where different clothes, maybe even grow up in a different society unless they live under the same parents. They will be like twins. How someone acts is based upon influence. Two people born as twins under the same parents are still two different individuals. As for losing dignity or being looked down upon as less of a person, no one has to know they are a clone. Sure they can say, oh ya I'm a clone, but they might not even know themselves. They are still created by birth as far as I know of, they just have the same DNA as someone else. Creating and killing life for body parts isn't going to happen because it is against the law. (murder) They are working on ways to artificially make working organs already anyway.I am for cloning, it is bound to happen whether we like it or not. Cloning on an industrial/large level yes can be dangerous and can actually cause disease. Cloning to help people though I don't see a problem with. If somone wants to have a kid but is afraid that they will have a major disease then sure why not clone that kid or if safe, just edit their genetics to not have the disease. The object image may be avoided as long as cloning is kept a secret which may be hard but they are born in a regular way. Cloning may just help increase the population though as well. Yes there are problems with it but it probably will happen in the future and will grow on people in time. It has to grow upon people gradually though so it may be bad for a while but it will then just become another part of life.

Hey guys i just wanted to share my thoughts on cloning with you....so here goes:

Cloning, genetic engineering, and other forms of biotechnology are fast advancing, and there's no denying it. The question is: Is this advance good for the human race, or is it bad? Cloning of humans is seriously unethical and immoral and should be addressed soon because of its grave consequences. Opposing cloning takes sophisticated knowledge and a mature mind to look past the big: It can save lives excuse. The dilemma with cloning is not how many lives it can save, but how many lives it can endanger and horribly alter. The practice of cloning humans is unethical because it diminishes human individuality. Cloning eliminates uniqueness, dehumanizes people, and creates an object-image into people's mind.

When we discover the most effective and safest way to clone humans, it will be devastating. Humans would be cloned for intelligence, athletic ability, beauty, or other forms that please the society's image. Individuals would be cloned to create replacements for parents who have lost a child. It is said no one has the same fingerprint as you. No one is like you. You are unique and special and there is no one in the world like you. That is the message society teaches us as we grow and mature, but what happens to the clones? Individuals who are cloned would not be individuals anymore. They would be drones, robots created to carry out assigned tasks. It would transform these clones to share a social identity with another human, instead of earning their own. They would share genes, and fingerprints with someone else. An exact replica of someone else. Crafted in the image of someone else. Not original, not one-of-a-kind, One-of-someone-else.

Clones are not robots though, far from it. Clones are humans, real, living humans with emotions, dreams, thoughts, ambitions, and a soul, and cloning will take these human-qualities away. Cloning will begin a dehumanizing process. The clone's dreams and ambitions may not match with those that have been set for them. The reason for their creation would not be pleasing to them. How could you feel if someone created you to be something you are not? Could you live like that? A clone would have aspirations that are unique, even if their physical body isn't. You cannot put your empty hopes and unfulfilled dreams into another living equal. It is not reasonable, it is not plausible, and moreover, it's not moral.

Not only will cloning eradicate human qualities, it would create and object-image of humans. Clones would be manufactured to serve as a vessel of spare parts, to be used for harvesting organs and blood when needed, and when you use humans in this way, they change. They are not human anymore. It transforms humans in to something, inhuman objects. Humans have a natural-born right to a unique identity. Cloning threatens this natural right. Engineering one's entire personal, private genetic make-up would compromise their right to a unique human identity. Individuals created by cloning would lack conception. The relationship and bond between parent and child is purely natural and cannot be meddled in with technology. Reproduction with machines, such a symbol of our mechanical conquerment, would depersonalize the natural acts of begetting children. Technological reproduction would tempt people to view children clones and acts of technological advancements and not as what they truly are: Beautiful accomplishments of nature. This therefore creates in our mind an image of children being achievements, as products, and our desire for high quality associated with buying technology objects would push us to demand higher-quality humans.

Cloning has raised many questions over whether science has gone too far. Many believe, in this aspect, it has. What is the purpose of cloning a person who will grow up to be regarded as less of a person whose humanity and dignity would not be fully respected? When we start to view humans as objects or toys to buy, it starts many processes. Objectification is one of these classifications. Objectification is treating the child, or clone as an object- a creature less deserving of or respect for his or her human qualities. Commodification is sometimes associated with objectification in the way that they both dehumanize clones, but commodification is another process in which clones are treated as commodities. They are treated as a thing that can be exchanged, bought, or sold in a marketplace. When such cloning is undertaken not for any benefit of the cloned himself or herself, but rather to satisfy such avaricious needs of others pursuing a longer happier life in expense of others, it starts to transform un-cloned humans to. It transforms them into greedy animals that care not of how many lives are to be created and destroyed for their sake of living. So, in conclusion, when dealing with cloning, there is no possible solution including the further research and pursuing this medical advancement. There is only one resolution and that is to raze all further implements of cloning and genetic engineering for the safety of the entire human race. The potential risks and morality issues vastly outweigh the possible benefits.
Sorry it's so long!
Please give me you ideas and comments and views on cloning, i know there is already a topic about cloning but i wanted you to review my ideas.

Well, I am for cloning. I don't think that there will be copies of people running around the place, but I think that the
technology of cloning will go to making copies of stem cells and using them to regrow body parts. This happens
by making and growing an embryo and taking the stem cells out.

A lot of people are against this because getting the stem cells involves killing the embryo. Normally, the embryo
will be taken out of the "extras" in a fertility clinic and scientists will grow the embryo to get the stem cells. What
people don't realize is the embryo will be killed anyway in the fertility clinic. All scientists are doing is extracting
more use out of the embryos and improving a person's life.

But should scientists kill the embryo anyway? At what point does a cell become a human? I think that the embryo
counts a human, but should we kill it? We kill animals and plants, what difference would a cell make? When you
eat meat, you have ended the life of an animal. Why have you ended the life of that animal? Because you need
protein. Although there are other ways to get protein, you still take the meat. Saving somebody's life is more
important than protein from animals, I would think.

Although scientists are working on other ways to get stem cells without killing an embryo, the result would not
be as good as with an embryo.

I think that if humans can eat meat, we should be able to save lives with stem cells.
Edited by possible123 (see edit history)

Well, I am for cloning. I don't think that there will be copies of people running around the place, but I think that thetechnology of cloning will go to making copies of stem cells and using them to regrow body parts.

You have a better chance of Eugenics finding out the secret of body regeneration than cloning at this point.

They may 'look' the same, but when it comes to genes,etc etc.. they will have different interests from the original body, eg different tastes of music, clothes, and so forth. This is already the case with many twins, in which they may live together.. but happen to have different interests in other areas. Personally I wouldnt mind if they are a clone, but unfortunately there would be some ppl that will look 'down' upon some clones, but this is progressively reducing and ppl may grow to accept it.Provided that cloning is controlled, and not on a large scale basis for other reasons, then yes.. I probably wont mind.

I am also for cloning it has many good benefits. However it is its fallacies. If we could you some sort of transplants harvesting methods that would be great as in my oppinion cloning used for good things and in good fashion is not actually dangerous it is not immoral thing to do however there are some problems with ethics but Im my personal opinion it is also ethical thing to do to save a person life. If clining is used to produce massive armies of soldiers or to infiltrate some sort of spy then it is dangerous thing and in fact bad thing. But if we are about to clone a person it will be in militiray experiments first and that is for certain. As the biggest advantages of the human race were done in the military labaratories and were first applied in the warfare.However there are few more things to consider as I already said organ harvesting would make cheaper medicine and it would increase human lifespan then clonning could also solve few problems with hunger in the world. As we would be able to clone animals and in addition with the genetical manipulation gain better breeding animals however this would be for some different discussion.

Cloning isn't really immoral and it's not really wrong. Cloning is really just impractical, the only way cloning would be practical is if it where cheap. If you think about it cloning is only useful when it comes to replacement organs, and as it is right now mainly the rich are able to get the organs they need and the poor die, if cloning individual organs where possible then still only the rich would be able to afford it and as for obtaining an organ from a donor, you just know that it would be made illegal to take organs from other people.

i SEVERLY DISAGREE withe this, since cloning isn't perfect and if you clone a person/object too much times they copied material slowly deforms. And clones are really really unintelligent, so if we have 'mind tranferal technology' added with perfect cloning (100% accurate copied material) then i would agree but otherwise i do not...

Well, I am for cloning. I don't think that there will be copies of people running around the place, but I think that thetechnology of cloning will go to making copies of stem cells and using them to regrow body parts. This happens
by making and growing an embryo and taking the stem cells out.

A lot of people are against this because getting the stem cells involves killing the embryo. Normally, the embryo
will be taken out of the "extras" in a fertility clinic and scientists will grow the embryo to get the stem cells. What
people don't realize is the embryo will be killed anyway in the fertility clinic. All scientists are doing is extracting
more use out of the embryos and improving a person's life.

But should scientists kill the embryo anyway? At what point does a cell become a human? I think that the embryo
counts a human, but should we kill it? We kill animals and plants, what difference would a cell make? When you
eat meat, you have ended the life of an animal. Why have you ended the life of that animal? Because you need
protein. Although there are other ways to get protein, you still take the meat. Saving somebody's life is more
important than protein from animals, I would think.

Although scientists are working on other ways to get stem cells without killing an embryo, the result would not
be as good as with an embryo.

I think that if humans can eat meat, we should be able to save lives with stem cells.

In essence, what you are trying to tell us is that scientists are trying to save one person's life by ending another. by not allowing the Embryos to grow into humans, what are you doing? isnt it kiiling all the same?

I have never been in support of cloning. It is unnatural, and unGodly. God created us so that we may fulfil our mission on earth, die and go back to meet our creator and not that we may live for an everlasting lenght of time. It has never made any sense to me why people should ever be cloned. If you loose someone, why go for the cloned part of that person? It will always be there in your mind that this isnt my real relation, child, father, mother, ect ect but something that was made to resemble, behave like and do thing like him/her.

So, as you can see, cloning simply does not make any good sense at all.

That is my own view of cloning.
Edited by odomike (see edit history)