xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Final)arkJon

Natural Procrastination? I cant get my work done?

I am a Junior in High School now. I have never had any problems in doing my work and always got straight high A's. About halfway through this school year, I gradually started to do my homework at a later time than usual. (I used to start it right when i got home.) It's been so bad lately, i've been starting my work around 9:30-11:00pm est, everyday almost. I somehow manage to keep myself busy until then, just doing random things i usually don't do. For example, this pen in front of me, i'll take it apart and try to put it back together a different way. (Dumb stuff like this). I don't even think about what im doing really, just kind of go off and mess around with something laying around my desk. Along with this procrastinating, my grades have gone from a 98 average to about a 89-91 average about the same time i started this. I am sitting here right now thinking to myself i have to go do my homework, which i will start for about 5 minutes, and then go do something else. Help me! This is also causing me to lose alot of sleep, which im wondering is what is affecting my grades.

Clear your desk. Shut off and hide any electronic devices you can. Write your homework in a mechanical pencil so you can erase and you aren't tempted to take it apart because it's hard to. Usually by doing that I was then able to focus very well and finish all the things I needed to finish.

I sometimes try to put off things as well, really because I know they need to be done and because I can't be stuffed doing them. For example there was a competition I wanted to enter on a website last night. I couldn't be stuffed entering it in the day so I played a computer game until I was about to go to bed then I decided that I better get it done.I think one way of solving it would be setting yourself a goal and then having somekind of self-punishment (like no TV or no computer) if you didn't achieve the goal. You would still need will power though :lol:.Hope I have been of some help :lol:

This sounds so much like me. Except I dont take apart pencils, I sit there and daydream, go on the internet, play guitar, MSN... Im useless. Its getting to the extent where I just cant concentrate well anymore. When people talk to me, sometimes I just ZONE OUT. Like my parents scream and scream at me and im like "I dont remember you asking me that! I cant help it if I dont hear you!" and sometimes if I'm pretty annoyed I'll say things like "It's just that I don't care at all what you have to say, so I automatically ignore it." That doesn't contribute.For me, I try to just like excersise first a lot. You lose most of your energy so it really makes it easier to concentrate coz your legs aren't restless. Run up and down the stairs 7 times.

It's funny, same thing happens to me. I usually try doing my work during lunch hour or in the library after school. By going to these areas there is no chance of getting distracted by electronics. I usually listen to music whilst I'm working; but recently this has become a problem as I seem to become engrossed int he song and can sit for maybe ten minutes just listening.My recomendation: use the quiet area technique. Put some music on, tell yourself that you're going to work and there is nothing on the internet that needs checking or people you need to talk to on MSN. Willpower is key here.

I dunno, I'm a bit of a procrastinator sometimes, but not with homework. I just wish I could get a 98 average though, I'm probably about a 94. Grade inflation at your school? I'm a junior next year, and I procrastinate less than I used to. :PI recommend talking to someone (e.g. a trusted friend or adult) about your problem and trying to figure this out, and maybe even with a psychiatrist, because if this is just suddenly happening then... weird...Now, this may not necessarily help, but I think making a schedule might help the most. decide a time set aside for homework, and, though you might not be able to enforce it on your own, have a parent yell at you to do your homework when you're slacking during this time, or have a friend call you up and tell you. (might even be fun :P)Um, I also agree with the "get rid of electronic devices" and the "exercise" statements, but in your case, you might want to get rid of take-apartable pens as well :P I think exercise is a great idea, too, I'm not a born athlete but I still love to get exercise and play sports, you'll be able to concentrate better when the time comes if you get exercise...I can't think of anything else at the moment, but good luck! :P

Speaking of procrastinating.. i just dont do it so I dont have to worry about putting it off. I pulled through no problem! hehe wouldn't recommend it cause your pulling off 90's and I only get 70's/80's (and thats not doing homeowkr or studying - pretty amn good if ya ask me :P)

I think one way of solving it would be setting yourself a goal and then having somekind of self-punishment (like no TV or no computer) if you didn't achieve the goal. You would still need will power though :P.

That's the problem. If you had the will power to punish yourself for not doing your homework, you should have the will power to do your homework in the first place.

I generally started to procrastinate when I became a freshman in High School. After 6 hours of school each day I come home and all I want to do is hang out and maybe do something with my friends or use the computer for a while. Then I eventually will do my homework. Last year I didn't start a poetry project until the night before it was due. 15 hours later of no sleep and plain out work though I got it done and got an A. I don't really ever want to do it again yet I must because now I'm doing summer assignments. I have a week to do them all because I took a summer program that lasted 6 weeks and the time before that I wasn't worrying about it.

There really isn't much you can do except maybe turn off distractions and get in the habit of doing it right when you get home. Then once you finish you'll still have plenty of spare time to do other stuff and won't have to worry about homework. I guess you'll just have to think about that. Hopefully I can fix the problem on myself too. It's hard but if we don't start to we are gonna lose a lot of sleep and it already has hurt grades.

lol thats just how high school is. I remember when I was in high school the same stuff happened. I became a real bad procrastinator. I did clean up my act by senior year though! I got straight A's senior year. I did still procrastinate on a few things though, but I'm slick and still got A's! :P

It sounds like you are losing concentration and getting distracted easily. You might consider forming a study group with your peers or joining a study group. Your peers might be able to keep an eye on you especially if you start doing things like taking things apart and creating distraction to disturb their peace :POr you can set aside something to look forward to. Example, if you finish your homework in 1 hour instead of 2 hours due to procrastination, you will have an extra hour to go out, watch telly or give yourself other treats.Try to work in an environment with as less sources of distraction as possible. Only keep the things you need for homework with you.

I may be off base but is it possible that you're getting disinterested with school? Kind of like a grade apathy.Does any of the following sound familiar to you? You feel a 98 can be achived without really working, you find homework too easy, class participation is a joke, you know more than your teachers, you're wrongfully portrayed as thi great student (tacher's pet perhaps), teachers give you a break because they know you can do better, every year is the same song and dance.If any of that sounds familiar you should figure why, and perhaps how you can fix that. In general though, it might be a good idea to make school more than just academics. Join a sports team or play production, tutor some kids that need help, volunteer some time for a good cause, that sort of thing.