xisto Community
ravin

Does Anyone Like Portable Firefox?

I love Firefox, but we have IE 6 at my school. I tried using Portable Firefox, but it runs unbearably s l o w and takes up almost half of my network drive space. Does anyone know how to make it faster or smaller? (or of any other super tiny browsers?)

Did you try the portable firefox from portableapps.com. I am using it...but thats not very slow. works pretty fast...

You might also want to try a smaller version of opera. was using it sometime back... i forgot the link... will post it here and let you know if i get that again...

Also if you are very comfortable with portableapps.com...you might query them for more...
and also there are more portable applications that you can use.

Here is something that may interest you....
https://www.pendrivelinux.com/. This i recently stumbled upon and its just awesome.

Firefox can be on USB stick, and take only 23 Megabytes. It best browser, but some people like opera. I don't like opera couse it is like IE and i have many problems with opera and javascript when ajax on some pages.

The portable version of Firefox is rather interesting, considering you can save bookmarks and all of this other stuff while browsing the internet. It's perfect if you're on someone else's computer and do not wish to use what they have installed on their computer, or you want to keep your bookmarks on you. Unfortunately right now, I am currently running Internet Explorer on this computer because I accidentally left my USB stick at home, but I normally put that it and log into the computer network with Firefox.The only problem is that the portable version I have is an older version of firefox, I am not sure if 2.0 will work portable or not.

i think a portable firefox is not needed these days... because almost every computer has one on it already. though some still likes IE better. oh well you cannot really please everyone with just a single browser.

Ya...dualstriker.You are right. Nowadays people want everything thats out there for free... They experiment a lot and finish it with the best.Firefox is very goo ...there is no denying that. I am using that..But i find a small problem in Firefox...the memory that is occupied by firefox s very very high when compared to IE or any other browser. When my firefox is running, this is the application that consumes so much of memory. Something better could be done on this....

Ya...dualstriker.
You are right. Nowadays people want everything thats out there for free...
They experiment a lot and finish it with the best.

Firefox is very goo ...there is no denying that. I am using that..

But i find a small problem in Firefox...the memory that is occupied by firefox s very very high when compared to IE or any other browser. When my firefox is running, this is the application that consumes so much of memory. Something better could be done on this....

Well, I don't know, but I have made some tests, here you go:
IE 7 - opened 1 window - 19 MB RAM
Mozilla Firefox - opened 1 window - 9 MB RAM

Something similar is the Page File usage.
Also, I have noticed that IE 7 starts slower than Mozilla Firefox. I don't know why you issued that :rolleyes:
Edited by ZaM0 (see edit history)

Well, I don't know, but I have made some tests, here you go:IE 7 - opened 1 window - 19 MB RAM
Mozilla Firefox - opened 1 window - 9 MB RAM

Something similar is the Page File usage.
Also, I have noticed that IE 7 starts slower than Mozilla Firefox. I don't know why you issued that :rolleyes:

But ZAMO... my mention was regarding the memory usage.
Please go to task manager and see the memory occupied by both IE and Firefox. Then you will know the difference. Some other processes may starve memory because of this behaviour though i do not have any proofs for this.

But definitely firefox consumes so much of memory....whenever firefox runs that will be the process consuming so much of memory.

Hmm well there was a time when almost everyone in our school was using it!!! Simply because FF is so great it worked around the school web filter simply by using it!! That was brilliant.They let it continue for a while, then found a way to block it :rolleyes: Now there really isn't any need to use it because like someone else said, the school computers are so slow its better just to use IE...