xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
assasinkilla

Hacking Whats your opinion?

Hey There,

Hacker is a term applied often to computer software or computer hardware programmers, designers and administrators, and especially those who are perceived as experts or highly accomplished. A hacker is also someone who modifies electronics, for example, ham radio transceivers, printers or even home sprinkler systems for extra functionality or performance. The term usually bears strong connotations, but may be either favorable or denigrating depending on cultural context.
In computer programming, a hacker is a software designer and programmer who builds programs and systems that garner the respect of one's peers. A hacker can also be a programmer who hacks or reaches a goal by employing a series of modifications to exploit or extend existing code or resources. For some, "hacker" has a negative connotation and refers to a person who "hacks" or uses kludges to accomplish programming tasks that are ugly, inelegant, and inefficient. This pejorative form of the noun "hack" is even used among users of the positive sense of "hacker" (some argue that it should not be due to this pejorative meaning, but others argue that some kludges can, for all their ugliness and imperfection, still have "hack value").
In computer security, a hacker is a person who specializes in work with the security mechanisms for computer and network systems. While including those who endeavor to strengthen such mechanisms, it is more often used by the mass media and popular culture to refer to those who seek access despite them.
In other technical fields, hacker is extended to mean a person who makes things work beyond perceived limits through their own technical skill, such as a hardware hacker, or reality hacker.
In hacker culture, a hacker is a person who has attained the respect of one's peers.

Notice from Johnny:
When taking material from outside sources, please use quotes around the copied text.

Copied from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker

Can i ask where you got this info?See i would argue that a hacker is not really many of those things. A hacker is however, as said, someone who makes something work beyond, or differently to, how it is supposed to work, for example hacking an OS to allow you to play pirated games or to allow better customizability. It is also someone who uses their skill to over-ride or avoid security systems, for example using SQL injection an creating a backdoor in a web application. but someone who can brute force a password or simply run some-one else code to achieve entry is nothing but a "skript kiddie" IE someone who has no idea why it works and just blindly uses the code or passwords with no skill at all. Of course there are more than one kind of hacker, such as those who test security by "hacking" and those who exploit users by "hacking" I dont believe a hacker is someone who has gained respect in a given field but i may be wrong.

It's true there are a lot of different types of hackers. I think I might try software hacking/disassembly sometime soon. It's a handy skill to have, provided you can get to the point of knowledge where you can do it without being guided. I also need to learn CSS pretty much asap, but that's a different story.

assasinkilla and shadowx, I agree with both your definitions, but I believe that they fit two different types of hackers.The first definition fits that of a "white hat" hacker that tries to figure out how to do new and different things that a program is not intended to do.The second definition fits that of a "black hat" hacker (or cracker) that tries to break into systems for malevolent or malicious "fun" (e.g. breaking into a website and putting digital graffiti all over it) or to make a profit (e.g. by starting a phishing site or writing a virus that redirects users to a site that downloads tons of adware and spyware to their computers that retrieve personal information like credit card numbers).

I think what's funny is that, most people who are relatively experienced with computers realize that hackers can be just as good as bad, but as soon as you say something with the word hacker in it, people get defensive. It's some kind of natural thing to want to avoid contact with hackers.

Not a problem. You put [ quote ] and [ /quote ] around whatever you want to show up like that. make sure you take the spaces out, of course.

Yes, it is rather funny that people always think of the bad, when they hear the word hacker... Yes, hacking stuff can be as good as bad... I hacked a thing or two in my early days, when I lived in a delusion that being a hacker is easy, and that it takes just a few tools... Then I met several people that know the stuff, and realised, that I'm not going to be a hacker any time soon, as it takes huge amount of knowledge...I hacked a wireless doorbell, increasing it's range from 5m do 15m... That also is a hack, as it makes something work beyond it's intented functinality...Traditionaly, hacker is associated with computers and programming knowledge, but it is in fact applicable to a whole range of other stuff, not conneted to computers...And one thing more... You will never, ever, hear a true hacker, a real computer expert, brag about being just that, a hacker... Only hacker wannabies, and lamers brag about being hackers :lol: That's not just a movie line, it's a fact :lol:

I agree with what everyone has said which is why im not quoting you all!I think the most important point made is that of "black hats" V "white hats" as the media is a big problem for any hacker because the term hacker is associated with those who scam the innocent etc... when in fact id say there are a lot more good hackers than bad, for example the guys that work for the police, or FBI in the states, sort of like digital investigators who snoop oin communications and crack authentication to get to data that can lead to convictions, id love that job but i know there is a lot to learn before you even get looked at as a possible employee. I started with web hacking, like basic forms and such and i gave up after that, i visited a lot of sites to learn and practice legally, if anyone wants i can post the links if i can remember them. Id reccomend that anyone coding websites or programs or anything learns how to hack at a basic level at least so that when coding anything you can protect yourself. This paid off for me when someone tried inserting HTML into a guestbook, if i hadnt tried that myself in practice then i probably wouldnt have added that protection. There was a mini campaign on a few of the sites i was at that consisted of a signature image with the text "white hat hacker" or something like that. And there was an image that represented that fact and the fact that not all are bad.

From my experience, the type of hackers that exist is only one, hackers or "white hats".The bad guys are crackers or "black hats" au contraire of hackers, crackers use their very good skills to make money or just to show off, using anyone he wants.Hackers are talented, skilled, and have a lot of qualities as well as principles, personal values, respect for themselfs as well as respect for the others.There are the script kiddies that are only kids trying their best to destroy everything they know, especially who they feel inferior, personaly, this ones can make much more damage then crackers or black hats, but then, it is my opinion.There is also the phreackers which master the phone lines or phone services in order to make phone calls and much more, without paying a cent.The master is the guru, the one that masters hacking, cracking and phreacking all in one, plus, it thinks quickly and eficiently, a skilled programer that does what he wants when he wants for what he wants, he rules, period.

Edited by Lyon2 (see edit history)

Hacking .. That's a term that is misunderstood by many people i guess. . (Myself included).First up, i have had many definitions regarding hacking.The first one being, hacking is a process , by which a person tends to get the best out of a device or a software system to get the maximum benefit from it. And that itself it bad , .. i have heard that because they say you cannot alter the state of a software unless or until you stay within copyright violation breaches of the software. For lot of guys at school , hacking was a matter of pride. they do it to establish their authority .. Key loggers, especially,.. The second hacking term i have come across is what many of us relate to , when we hear the term hackers . Yeah, the bad guys sitting somewhere , trying to inject malicious code into your computer. Or trying to remote access your computer without your knowledge. Well, as a matter of fact this second definition also seems to be a variate of the first one. Here the hacker seems to tweak your computer rather than his, and instead of improving performance, maybe he is degrading it. This type of hacker is the guy who is responsible for companies like AVG or Norton to be up and running.. The third thing i have heard is ethical hacking. Ethical hacking is something which people do for good. For instance you can become an ethical hacker seeking vulnerabilities on a web server. There is a proverb that says "You have to be a thief to catch a thief". So, this applies to hacking, supposedly,. So, this way, you get to be the bad guy, go on and detect the possible ways your system can be affected, and then step into the doctor's shoes, finding or developing precautionary measures.Whatever hacking might mean,.. I do not think that is something i would appreciate much !!

Like all things the term has become hazy over time. It's subject to various perspectives and meanings. So first off I'll be refering to the cyber hacker...Those are guidelines as to what a hacker should be according to the social norm. But ironically a hacker (according to cyber lore) is a rebel against society. So why would they subject themselves to the social norm?I believe only casual or wannabe hackers will abide by these "rules".

Edited by Lethe (see edit history)

Defcon's definition of hacker is one who works in the field of computer security, and a cracker is a hacker that exploits holes in the security to steal identities, take corporate records, etc.

I think I might try software hacking/disassembly sometime soon. It's a handy skill to have, provided you can get to the point of knowledge where you can do it without being guided.

i beleive hacking is good to a certain extent. as long as you dont go over board. I agree that if you hack Windows Vista you deserve to be arrested and locked up. like i said, to a certain extent