xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
assasinkilla

Your Opinion About Mac Computers

Hey,

I was thinking to buy a Apple Macintosh Computer, but then when a few friends told me not to, I got pissed off because i thought like if I bought it, there would be some minor defects and I won't like it anymore.

So please If you have any replies, teling me about them, please reply...

Thanks Posted Image

Edited by moderator (see edit history)

I don't use macs, but I would tell you not to buy it. Mainly because there is almost nothing out there for macs. Everything is built for PCs first and then a few months later (if you don't have a windows emulator) it comes out for macs. Yes they do run better and get less viruses (because people make viruses for PCs not macs, not because they can't get viruses, they can) and they are pretty neat, but the biggest downfall to them is that they don't run most programs. I heard that the new imacs or something can run PC programs, but I haven't confirmed that yet. So it really depends on what you are doing. If you want to download programs off the internet its usually not a good idea to get a mac, most people don't program for macs, but if you just plan for word processing and other stuff other than games, then a mac may be a good choice.

Since most people own peecees and use programs written for windoz, you're going to get a majority of anti-mac, pro-windoz responses from asking this question. So I'd encourage you to give considerably more weight to those who recommend the mac. First the new macs use the same Intel CPUs the other peeceez use. This means that you can partition your HD and install Windoz on one partition and have your choice of OS if you happen to use software not written for the Mac. BTW, I'm not just pulling this out of my a$$, I own a MacBook Pro 17", 2.33Mhz Core2Duo, with 2Gig RAM, and a 160Gig HD. I've not encountered any reason to install Windoz personally. I've found everything I need to use for Mac and I'm just fine with it. The only reason I use my Windoz computer, a Dell, is for MS Streets and Trips. There is mapping software written for Mac, though, and I've heard it's far better then S&T. Your choice, but I'm recommending the Mac, hands down. Boozker uses a Mac too. Maybe he'll chime in here after he's finished enjoying his 666th post... :lol:

I'm gonna get Mac soon.The good things about it:EasyAlmost no virusWorksIt can run windows (in case you need virus or run a game :lol:)Bad things:Not every program works but you can run windows so.

I used to use a Mac as well, and I'm considering switching back - especially since the new MacBooks have the intel dual-core chip.If you also use a program called Parallels (sp?) , you can also switch back and forth between operating systems without having to restart the computer.

Being in the computer industry, I have been around both types of systems, both Mac and Windows based. The main thing I have noticed about Mac's is the price differnece. Many people feel Mac's are superior, and I will agree, many programs do run very well on Mac's compared to the Windows OS, but you are going to pay a much steeper price. Seems like the spec's you pay for in a Mac, compared to a PC, are much higher. As far as gaming is concerned, I haven't really heard much of people doing alot of computer gaming on Mac's. I may just be missing something, but people like hte customibility of PC's when it comes to gaming.I think Mac's are great for business use or basic home use, they're a stable, well running computer that will be sure to be there when you need it. Pay a little more, sacrifice some performance in some areas and you've got yourself a Mac.

I think Mac's are great for business use or basic home use, they're a stable, well running computer that will be sure to be there when you need it. Pay a little more, sacrifice some performance in some areas and you've got yourself a Mac.

There's always going to be a trade-off. For instance, the MacBook Pro notebook I own is only an inch think. Apple seems to think the weight and thickness is important, so the trade-off is that the DVD/CD drive was slower to catch up with other offerings because they had to wait for a model that would fit. Further, the only GPU offered in this computer is the ATI Radeon X1600 with 256 MB VRAM. This isn't the best graphics chip out there for laptops, but it doesn't pretend to be a "gamers laptop" either. It weighs in at roughly 6.9 lbs, if you want the gamers laptop, you'll probably need one that weighs upwards of 14lbs if I'm not mistaken. The software that comes with this machine, btw, helps, considerably, to justify the price difference, and if you go to Dell's website and build an XPS M2010 computer, then go to the Apple Store and build a comparably equipped iMac, you'll see that you can load the iMac up quite a bit more and still save money with the Apple. Try it and see. Notice, too, that you can't order the dell with the C2D running at 2.33 Mhz, only 2.0. There are some other differences too, especially in the graphics card comparisons. On the iMac I just configured at the Apple Store, I pretty much loaded it up including a 24 inch wide screen, 2GB of memory, and the 750GB HD with the 256VRAM NVIDIA 7600 GT GPU and iWorks (word processing and "Keynote" presentation software) pre-installed for under $3200 (a student discount will save you an additional 10%). I almost forgot to mention, I also included the 3 year warranty in that price.

The XPS with a 20.1" display and MS Works pre-installed is going to run a lot more; probably over a thousand in difference!

One last thing I think every smart consumer should look at before buying anything is Consumer Reports. They're a highly ethical not-for-profit ratings organization. They rate everything from breakfast cereal to cars and they've certainly spent a great deal of time rating computers. Guess who consistently has the superior customer service and support? Apple, that's who. Apple always consistently rates the highest in customer satisfaction and loyalty, cost and frequency of repair, you name it, all categories. Don't believe me, I'm biased! Go look it up yourself!

In order to run Wondoz on a modern Mac with an Intel motherboard, all you need is a copy of Windoz and a free copy of bootcamp from Apple. This will give you dual-boot capability. There is no longer any emulation required! The stability of the Unix-based OS is one of the many things that makes this machine so highly desirable to own and use. The OS is developed in an open-source environment too which makes the whole thing "just work".

Edited by Watermonkey (see edit history)

Here's my stance, I am NOT going to upgrade my PC to a Windows Vista. Enough reason to see why? I am going for an iMac, be it this year, next year or the following. It is costly for sure, just SGD 2548 for a middle end Mac when I can buy a good Desktop for that price. But it is worth it, Windows for me is just going downhill, Vista in particular tries to copy Mac in everyway and fails badly. Mac is the way to go, bootcamp emulates Windows for you, so I don't see why you need to even consider Mac as an OS which does not have much support. It is a relatively new technology and it may take a few more years to be a real stable technology but I am not worried about that. Mac has less viruses, runs more efficiently, has the overall better design. The only downside: the price and the support, but you pay for what you get and as for the lack of support, it is improving, more games are coming out for Mac versions but if you want a short term solution, switch to a Windows partition. AS SIMPLE AS THAT!

Well I think that mac system today have very little advantage over Microsoft either as operating systems or on the Pentium computer architecture. Since they are working on the same thing. Two years ago it was totally different story as they had very different architecture and I would always give them plus. But when we speak about programming solutions I think that mac is still leading as they are producing some solutions which in fact are later on by other producers. And there is also thing that Apple is under Microsoft paw as Microsoft has hall bunch of share stocks in Apple. So it may produce some friction of interests. It has been already noticed in one case year ago when Apple wanted to sue Microsoft for patent grabing and then Microsoft approved inter corporate money aid and it was ok. So I think that apple is currently just a trend and it will probably not last on computer market as it will be swallowed by larger companies. And they are expensive so just by natural computer and you want have problems. good luck.

what so many people do not understand or know is that all macs come with parallel desktop or a program of the like, depending on which model you get. which taking this feature into consideration, makes a mac come out on top because it can run windows programs without struggle. Not only do you get the benefit of parallel desktop, but they don't have as many viruses made for them, they are insanely cool, they come with great programs, and they are very user friendly. My personal choice is a mac, i will not tell you which you should buy, but i recommend a mac because of parallel desktop which basically gets rid of all of the issues everyone brings up. It is not a very recognized feature, but that does not mean it is not important!

There are too many effects, not enough simplicity in the looks of the OS. I can settle on a GUI that has 3 colors(8 colors for the background) in its default design since that is all the colors the GUI needs to function. There is no need for a GUI to require more than 32 MB of memory to operate. OpenGEM could function with only 640k, and it was a fully functional GUI. At least in Windows I can just cut off all the useless effects and color schemes and such that I don't want without brain surgery.

Edited by Tetraca (see edit history)

Well I have never had a mac computer as my personal computer, but I used it quite a few times and i am a regular Windows user. I have to say that at first glance I liked Mac, but after using it for a while to do certain things I realized that Windows are a lot easier and faster to operate. Maybe that is my personal view, but I have to say that Windows are much more usable than Mac...Best whishes

They're pretty good. I think it would be a pretty good computer to buy. I think Mac is better than windows. I think it's great and if you wan't to buy it, I don't think you would regret it.