xisto Community
TypoMage

Game Consoles Why?

What is with all of the game consoles? I mean you buy the newest game console, and then out of nowhere a new system comes out. I mean why not come up with a game console every three years, because regularly I have seen them come out in a little under a year. And they are going to stop making Gamecube Games? That is complete bullcrap. I mean Gamecube is ok. Like I said they should make a really awesome Game System each like three years. Or as me and my cousins always bring up is they should make a universal Game system that can play more then one type of game, so what do you think? I sort of think it would be a little bit to big.

The Gamecube and Xbox came out over 5 years ago, it'll be six years near the end of 2007...and the PS2 came out a year before that. That's plenty of time for a game system to live, since things like computers are being updated with new and improved hardware almost monthly.If you look at it in terms of video game consoles vs. graphics cards... There are new 512mb radeon whatevers out for computer systems today, and the gamecube is probably still running a 32mb card from five years ago. The CPU's are just as old as well.Now, maybe you're adding in handhelds to your "3 years concept", but handhelds aren't considered consoles at all.Gamecube has had a pretty long life and a lot of games...[most of which are crappy, but that's developer's faults.]A universal game system would either be a collaboration by all the big game companies, which they wouldn't do, because they lose money without competition, or an illegal system from a third-party that would get shut down probably before it even sold anything. I think so far game companies are doing okay...I just wish developers would do what they're capable of. I'd make a bet that 90% of all video games today aren't as good as they could be, with the people who are making them. Don't get me wrong, there are some amazing games, but most just aren't as good as is possible. I blame that on time restraints by publishers, to get things done faster so they can get paid. I read somewhere that Bungie [developers of the Halo series] had to cut Halo 1 almost in half because of time restraints. If you think of it by the numbers, that's a ridiculous amount of good game experience gone to waste.

It is like the companies have sought to make money by upgrading the consolesFor instance you buy ps3 which is damn costly and who knows that at a later stage you come across ps4They have to earn so they will burn holes in our pocket by launching new things and then launching games that would only work on the respective new consoles

It is like the companies have sought to make money by upgrading the consolesFor instance you buy ps3 which is damn costly and who knows that at a later stage you come across ps4
They have to earn so they will burn holes in our pocket by launching new things and then launching games that would only work on the respective new consoles

Sony loses on every single PlayStation 3 that they make so. They lunch new console every 5 years or so. I don't think that's much.
Edited by noriv (see edit history)

Sony loses on every single PlayStation 3 that they make so. They lunch new console every 5 years or so. I don't think that's much.

Yeah, he's right. Take a look at the stats. They lose like $240 US dollars on every 20 GB system they sell. Not to mention that they're practically selling a miniature floating-point supercomputer in each release too. I mean, just take a look at some of the screenshots to see what I'm talking about. :lol:
I think a universal system is possible. After all, if we can make software emulators on the PC, we can make hardware ones too.
But there's not too much of a need for one either, since major game companies like to sell their product on the different video game consoles.

every year there are new technologies invented which are always better and betterimagine 10 years ago, if you would have spoken about a hard disk drive from 500 gig, they would have called you an idiotthat's how it's supposed to be going afterall, if there were no more technology inventions, i guess this world would be amazingly boringit's the same on the games side, if the games would be the same like 10 years ago, omg i wouldn't even wanna think about it ^^they get heavier and heavier to run and their graphics own compared to the ones from many years agoif you people know the game "silent hill 2" (oldy) and the newer version "silent hill 4: the room", just check the graphics and the movement controls, i laughed my *bottom* off when i installed the oldy and started playing itthe newer the games, the more heavy they are and the more heavy equipment they need to operatethats our future

There is always going to be a new system coming out. Also the reason why nintendo choose to make the wii is cause the gamecube was a big disappointment it did not sell as much as they thought and there was always new games coming out for it but it really did not have any features that made you want to buy it. When making a system you have to make it so it has a special feature that no other system has. With the Wii it has the whole interactive feature going which is making the wii such a big hit right now and also with the 360 is the performance features and the games that are included. Also the wii price is the cheapest system out there. Also it might be a bit longer before a new system comes out cause they need to think of new things to add but it might be shorter than that cause technology is growing.

I heard Microsoft loses about $100 on every 360 they make. That's why they jack up the prices in the marketplace.

Really it's about competition. The only reason why a new game console comes out after another is because the game console makers think that the console that just came out is better than their previous console. Therfore they want more money so they develop a new one, that more people will buy. The system then repeats really.

Supposedly, they are finding new ways of making games better so they release a game system. Not too many years ago, I could afford a brand new system. Now that its getting so ridiculously high priced, I have to wait until the next system comes out to buy the past one. I've heard that the PlayStation 3 made companies lose money, and that they'll get their money back by game sales. (Not likely since the assortment is not well made. Where did all of the role playing games go?) That has to be a lie, since no company will lose large amounts of money to get new money.

Really it's about competition. The only reason why a new game console comes out after another is because the game console makers think that the console that just came out is better than their previous console. Therfore they want more money so they develop a new one, that more people will buy. The system then repeats really.

That's also why the companies will never collaborate to make a universal system. Think about this: If there was no Microsoft or Nintendo to compete against Sony, how high could the PS3's price go? Consoles might last 10 years (which might be a good thing considering what you want), but there will be no more innovation or better graphics.

Technology is rapidly developing. Therefore, in order for people to be entertained, they have to make a new game console every few years, or else people will not keep buying the old time game consoles (even though thtey are AWESOME!).But for kids growing up now, all they want are games that will keep them interested for a few hours during the day, and their parent don't mind paying like 600 $ US for a game system that will last about 3 years. Then they go and buy 70 $ US games that will alst about a week, and then the kid will want another game. All gaming consoles will eventually be identical. All it will come down to then is what brand you like more?

i could see universal system happen in near future at some point or not. It would be somewhat of a computer for updating or whatever. Another point would be the competition; none of the company would just make any old game and not compete with each other.

Technology is rapidly developing. Therefore, in order for people to be entertained, they have to make a new game console every few years, or else people will not keep buying the old time game consoles (even though thtey are AWESOME!).But for kids growing up now, all they want are games that will keep them interested for a few hours during the day, and their parent don't mind paying like 600 $ US for a game system that will last about 3 years. Then they go and buy 70 $ US games that will alst about a week, and then the kid will want another game.

All gaming consoles will eventually be identical. All it will come down to then is what brand you like more?

Not quite really, if a company can make a console that would last more than 3 years (there are). I'm saying in general in order to that; would have to make it best console that could make and not have to worry about making another one in 3 years. Like you said technology is growing and theirs something new is coming, things might change.

They just want us to spend, spend, and spend. Like how the Xbox Controller can detatch? My friend had to buy two new ones for 10.00$

i could see universal system happen in near future at some point or not. It would be somewhat of a computer for updating or whatever. Another point would be the competition; none of the company would just make any old game and not compete with each other. Not quite really, if a company can make a console that would last more than 3 years (there are). I'm saying in general in order to that; would have to make it best console that could make and not have to worry about making another one in 3 years. Like you said technology is growing and theirs something new is coming, things might change.

all im trying to say is that eventually, there will be almost no difference what-so-ever between gaming systems.