xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sinthetix

Google China Errors with Google

For about one or two weeks my browsers(both internet explorer and firefox) were hijacked to some degree by google. No matter what web address I would put in to either of them be it something like http://yahoo.com/ or http://www.msn.com/de-de?rd=1&ucc=DE&dcc=DE&opt=0 or anything at all I kept getting sent to an error page for Google China and the only other page I could access was the Google China home page. Anyone else have this problem or heard of it? I'm really interested in knowing wtf google screwed up on the internet, or was this just a forceful advertising scheme by the Search Giant.

Um? I dont thinl thaT GOOG;LE would hack into somebody elses website, because of hopw respected they are as a company, this is very interesting that this woudld happen. Maybe it was just a problem with your broswer or somethigng because I didnt have a proble. Probablly this occured at a different time when i was not on

I agree with bk, I doubt Google would ever hack anyone elses website. It sounds like the work of a virus, or some other malicous code, on your computer. I have never heard of this problem. Best of luck fixing it.

Same here, but looking at your location how are you getting china's google page in the first place? I would download spybot and run it and see if you got any spyware or browser hijacks in your computer.

If you're using a proxy with your Web browser (Tor, for example), you'll sometimes end up at Google China's Web site instead of Google's U.S. site. But if you aren't doing the proxy thing, you should check for browser hijacks, spyware, et cetera.

I think its a trojan or spyware, have you tried reinstalling your browsers? Try a spyware/virus scan....

Sounds like you have problems with your host file. You can get this from spyware. Try going to: "C:WINDOWSsystem32driversetc" and open "hosts" in notepad. There should only be one line at the bottom, and it should be the example. If there's anything else, erase it, and save.-Brittnay

Sounds like you have problems with your host file. You can get this from spyware. Try going to: "C:WINDOWSsystem32driversetc" and open "hosts" in notepad. There should only be one line at the bottom, and it should be the example. If there's anything else, erase it, and save.
-Brittnay

That's not necessarily good advice.

For one, it could be caused by a multitude of problems (anything from Trojans and Spyware to cookie errors and worms).

Clearing out his hosts file could cause whoever has made any modifications to it (be it him, or someone else in charge of, or who has fixed the computer) to be quite upset.

Furthermore, there are many innocent lines of text that can be inside the hosts file, he shouldn't just going on "if there's anything else, erase it" he should see what's in there, and learn what it means.

sinthetix: try going to HiJackThis.de and downloading the program. Paste the logfile into the box on the site and it'll tell you about anything that shouldn't be there. The program has been very useful to me in the past, and I use it often.

Yeah, Google wouldn't try anything funny. Their reputation would crumble instantly. They as a company would be finished.I would try searching with anti-malware programs i.e Symantec etc

I REALLY doubt that Google hijacks anything, they are a very respected company.It is a lot more probably that your Internet Service Provider blocked all the traffic (it could even be an error).Or it could be a Trojan/Virus/Spyware, which forced you to open Google China for any reason.

I REALLY doubt that Google hijacks anything, they are a very respected company.
It is a lot more probably that your Internet Service Provider blocked all the traffic (it could even be an error).

Or it could be a Trojan/Virus/Spyware, which forced you to open Google China for any reason.

I highly doubt that his ISP is redirecting his Google searches.

if he lives in china, they might be. they highly restrict what there citizens can see on the internet. google is monitored along with all other sites. anything digracing the nation is prohibited. its pretty crazy. it is possible he is getting blocked and sent to google china homepage. but if no sites work, i dont know because thats pretty insane that none would work. and that leads me to believe that malicious code is on his computer, but seeing as this topic is about 6 months old, i dont think he cares/got it fixed.