xisto Community
darran

Memory Usage

I have WordPress installed in my site. And I know the default memory-limit is 8 mb. What I would like to know is how do I find out how much memory I am using and which process is using the most amount of memory. Apparently, WordPress is consuming a lot of resources and when I tried adding a new plugin to my site, they gave me an error saying that I have exceeded my memory limit of 8mb. Is there a possibility for Xisto to increase it to 16 mb? I am running very few plugins, and I don't understand why this problem is occurring. Can someone assist me?

I must be missing something from this post because word press on installation alone is like 2-3 MB of space not 8 unless you install a whole bunch of stuff to it. Consuming what bandwidth or actual space?remember bandwidth usuage is determined the size of your documents and the size of file downloads and even uploading files. If you just installed it you shouldn't be even using that much BW to begin with, but over time has you build content and what not your bw load will get bigger (that can't be helped unless you delete it) and web space will be taking up as well.I swear cpanel has something like your asking but can't seem to find I know you see how much BW is being a month by just clicking on bandwidth in your cpanel. Another way although I haven't fully explored it is click on the web/FTP stats and then click on the awstats and give you a lot of detail abotu your site. I do believe it is in their somewhere.Also make sure all your images and downloads are hotlinked so no one else can get free BW off you as well.But like I said their is a wild card in their that I am not seeing in your post that would explain it.

I don't think he's talking about space OR bandwidth, but actual server memory [the ram on the hosting server]...I wasn't aware of a limit on that, I didn't think websites took much memory at all to run...What kind of plugin are you trying to use?

i think I would list out all the plugins I am using at the moment which could constitute to this and maybe I could get some advice.Akismet (Anti-spam tool by WordPress)Counterize II (Tracks my stats going into the site, referal agent, search string, browser, ip address ... etc)Drop Down Get Links (Allows me to use a dropdownlist for my links, comments, archives ... etc)IP 2 Nation (Matches the IP to a nation)Ultimate Tag Warrior (The famous tagging system we all know)WordPress Database Backup (Backup utility by WordPress)WP-UserOnline (Works together with IP 2 Nation in helping to track where my users are coming from. Shows the number of visitors online at my blog in the given amount of time.)These are the only plugins which I am using. I can't think of any of them using too much memory. These are the furthest amount of plugins I can go, anymore and it overshots the allocated memory of 8 mb. I hope this is enough?

Hm...my own blog has just as many [if not more] plugins installed and running for my wordpress...this leads me to believe that it's not actually the number of plugins running that affects it, but an error with one of the plugins itself.Are you sure these plugins [their specific versions] are compatible with your version of wordpress, and were there any errors or weird things when you installed them? If so, it may have been an installation issue, which might cause you to reinstall the plugins or [worst case scenario] wordpress itself. I wouldn't do any of this without knowing for sure though.

I share the same sentiments. That is the exact reason why I want to check how much memory a certain process is using, if it is unusual, I will go check out the plugin author's site for any new developments. I can't be going to download 7 plugins with their new versions and not know what is the problem. So hopefully somebody can get back to me as to how I can know the memory usage (RAM) of a certain process.