xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dyknight

Web 2.0

The Web is shifting, gradually but indubitably, from one that merely provides information to one that congregates information - from an age of information to an age of participation. This new era of the Web has been termed 'Web 2.0'. However, the definition of Web 2.0 is not universally agreed on nor is it ubiquitous. Just what does Web 2.0 mean to you?

Edited by dyknight (see edit history)

The Web is shifting, gradually but indubitably, from one that merely provides information to one that congregates information - from an age of information to an age of participation. This new era of the Web has been termed 'Web 2.0'. However, the definition of Web 2.0 is not universally agreed on nor is it ubiquitous. Just what does Web 2.0 mean to you?

omg how come that lil icon like shows my ip and everything

I believe there are quite a few discussions about this, but I can't really find it because web 2.0 is such a common string that it is almost impossible for the forums to search the thread out. As the version 2.0 denotes, it is for me a new age of Internet or least a new generation which we are trying to head towards. Very very few websites can be considered Web 2.0, I think Web 2.0 is the use of new technologies like Ajax (Solves post back problems in forms), RSS (Getting updates without visiting the site). Also there is XHTML (Standard to use in all websites), Social Bookmarking such as Del.Icio.Us and Technorati and using CSS to design websites instead of the old conventional tables which slows websites down. Communities such as Friendster, MySpace ... etc, integrating the web into more of an interactive community. In short, like I have mentioned, it is a new internet age and for these to be fully implemented would never happen, even as I speak 5 years down the road, not even 50% of the websites will be Web 2.0 ready. There is just too much lag between the developers, till today we see the extensive use of tables and frames to create a website.

the one language that totally changed the way people look at web is AJAX. i simply love that language. for me Web 2.0 means AJAX. i believe web 2.0 will not have been born without AJAX. The very popular mail service GMAIL is built on AJAX. recently google is recruiting many engineers who are through in AJAX.

For me, web 2.0 means Php. I know it's been around for a while, but people are learning how to build more and more with it. As new forum software is coming out that automatically counts as 2.0, people have begun playing around with the coding and making it personal. Without Php, I doubt very much that forums; the biggest piece of Web 2.0 engineering- would have advanced to such a point that companies now use them to talk with their clients, and almost every single distinguishable site has one.

HaiMy view about web2.0 is where Users of these technologies have emphasised their collaborative and community-building aspects, and suggested they form a natural ally for a constructivist learning methodology.

When I think of 'Web 2.0' i think:EASY - AND STREAMLINED DESIGNNAVIGATION - REMADE TO BE SIMPLEAJAX - LESS PAGE REFRESHING - LET THE ACTION BE IN ONE WINDOWINTERACTIVITY - "DIY" ON A COMPANY / CREATOR'S PAGEIt's mostly what i compare to ' Web Two Point O'! '

Web 2.0 is the term used to indicate the new age web sites and their services powered by AJAX like GMail, YouToube, it also has brought a new type of web services like social networking.The Web is developing in a fast pace with a lot of newer technologies being introduced daily, and it is very hard to keep oneself updated and be an expert in all these technologies.

All good points so far. I pretty much agree with all of them. Web 2.0 is about interactivity and participation. Here are some key features of a web 2.0 web site.Sleek, clean, colorful designCSS designJavascript and AJAXBadges that advertise "FREE" or "SPECIAL OFFER" etc.BIG, round, curvy fonts that are easy to readEasy to navigate sites.Various types of "subscriptions" or "memberships" like forums, mailing lists, e-zines, etc.There are plenty of other things but I can't remember much more.