xisto Community
Roconza

Online Hate Terms And Hatred

The online hate

After reading a rant on a site I feel the need to voice my feelings

thing that bug me

Flaming:

I like to say some thing I don't like people who flame or bad mouth others for speaking there mind and you know what it makes no sense at all.When you post some thing like your feeling on some thing no matter what it is you expect to get some critical reply but to go out of your way to say horrible thing about them just because there views are not the same as them is just wrong.What wrong with people online just because your on online doesn't mean you lower your standards just because you can not be seen.

Noobie bashing:

I really hate people online on MMORPGs who ignore or bash beginning players just because there new to the game.Would it be so hard to help this person out just a little? or tell them you don't want or can't help them.I remember a long time ago I was playing ever quest and I was new to the game so ask other player if they knew a good place to start only to get people bad mouthing me for no good reason other then me being a beginner.Then there those very kind people whom see a beginner struggling and help them out like a very kind wolf who helped me get out of some water I was stuck in(long story).what make this worst is they forget that once upon a time they to were beginners.The bad thing is when beginners become experts they treat beginners they same way making a cycle.the same goes for other online community's like gaia online were my avatar is very plain and it is dressed in very basic wear well I'm working on making it better.I find that I was looking around for some one to talk to and out of the blue some one says "nice skirt noob" I said what was that for and I get a lol smile.What was I doing? but looking plain.

Art bashing:

This another thing that bugs me is the way people spam other peoples art with "your art suck" and "why do you bother posting" what does every body have to be the best artist ever.This person may have put a lot of time on there art and granted they may not be the best but there no reason to crush the hope like that.I think if you don't like that person's art then try giving them some help.Post some tip to help them improve.Becoming a good artist takes time and practice unless you were bless with good art talent from youth then you need to work at it.I think that good artist should help not bash art work and if your art is not so good then don't say bad things out of spite.I'm not going say I'm a awesome artist I can stand to become better and I love when people tell how to make my artist better.

I can't understand this kind of stuff in fact I may get flame for starting this topic but I just wanted my voice to be hear.

people who steal:

I hate people whom steal form artists maybe because I am a artist my self.People seem to think that because some things on a website and you can right click that mean that it is free but thats not how things work.If they would work hard on there art or graphics they wouldn't have take other peoples art.Then of course theres some people who think that editing it a little or changing colors make it ok well it does not! and what bugs me is they run around posting it and think there wonderful.The irony is that this work doesn't even look like there other work and they get flamed like crazy from people who know the real artist.I remember some moron who stole some sprites from a site that had HTML and BBS code that you post of your site and they put it on there site not only stealing the content by the idea to the irony again being that they didn't even change the code so it link right back to the site they come from it ended with the web master being flamed in his/her guest book.I my self always make two copies of my work,the sketch and finished work just in case I need to prove my work not that my crappy art is worth steeling.Well guess that how thing are now you have to go to amazing high level to protect your act on your website by disabling almost every thing or put a but ugly water mark over it....

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Topic title should be specific and detailed.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

The online hate

Noobie bashing:

I really hate people online on MMORPGs who ignore or bash beginning players just because there new to the game.Would it be so hard to help this person out just a little? or tell them you don't want or can't help them.I remember a long time ago I was playing ever quest and I was new to the game so ask other player if they knew a good place to start only to get people bad mouthing me for no good reason other then me being a beginner.Then there those very kind people whom see a beginner struggling and help them out like a very kind wolf who helped me get out of some water I was stuck in(long story).what make this worst is they forget that once upon a time they to were beginners.The bad thing is when beginners become experts they treat beginners they same way making a cycle.the same goes for other online community's like gaia online were my avatar is very plain and it is dressed in very basic wear well I'm working on making it better.I find that I was looking around for some one to talk to and out of the blue some one says "nice skirt noob" I said what was that for and I get a lol smile.What was I doing? but looking plain.

What i honestly don't get is how being a member of something for a long time, means you are better. Doesn't that technically make you a loser for having spent SO much time on the internet? Don't get me wrong i am an internet *BLEEP*, but its not my life, and many people do make it their life, and thats just plain lame, being on the internet every second of your life is not something to be proud of, and i don't get how doing just that [spending your life online] makes you better then the so called 'noob'. I can get why people would feel threatened by noobs, i know at boards when new comers come in and try to practically take everyones attention it gets frustrating, and i hate how they have so many questions, when most questions could be answered had they simply read the rules. But i've been apart of boards where a couple people i know from other boards wanted to join an RPG and we got there, made decent characters and no one would talk to us because they had cliques so we ended up leaving the board. But i've also been apart of 'cliques' in rpg boards and its hard to let new people in. So i can i guess relate to both sides.

Art bashing:

This another thing that bugs me is the way people spam other peoples art with "your art suck" and "why do you bother posting" what does every body have to be the best artist ever.This person may have put a lot of time on there art and granted they may not be the best but there no reason to crush the hope like that.I think if you don't like that person's art then try giving them some help.Post some tip to help them improve.Becoming a good artist takes time and practice unless you were bless with good art talent from youth then you need to work at it.I think that good artist should help not bash art work and if your art is not so good then don't say bad things out of spite.I'm not going say I'm a awesome artist I can stand to become better and I love when people tell how to make my artist better.

I think not enough people tell others their art sucks. Too many people go around posting blurry text'd crap everywhere on the internet and people tell them its beautiful. I don't get it. Meanwhile others who are actually good get left in the dark. Why do people do this? Is it because they don't want the crappy 'artist' to feel bad and assume the better already has self esteem or something? I am too nice to tell people their work sucks, but i hardly like most peoples work and i hardly praise anyones unless i really do like it, usually i just say 'looks nice' because i am far to nice to tell them really i think its horrible and they never should attempt it again. I agree that not everyone is a graphically skilled as others especially in the beginning, but its unfair to the person to continue and tell them their work is great when it sucks miserably. Chances are that person is wasting their time, and should move on to things they can do better.

people who steal:

I hate people whom steal form artists maybe because I am a artist my self.People seem to think that because some things on a website and you can right click that mean that it is free but thats not how things work.If they would work hard on there art or graphics they wouldn't have take other peoples art.Then of course theres some people who think that editing it a little or changing colors make it ok well it does not! and what bugs me is they run around posting it and think there wonderful.The irony is that this work doesn't even look like there other work and they get flamed like crazy from people who know the real artist.I remember some moron who stole some sprites from a site that had HTML and BBS code that you post of your site and they put it on there site not only stealing the content by the idea to the irony again being that they didn't even change the code so it link right back to the site they come from it ended with the web master being flamed in his/her guest book.I my self always make two copies of my work,the sketch and finished work just in case I need to prove my work not that my crappy art is worth steeling.Well guess that how thing are now you have to go to amazing high level to protect your act on your website by disabling almost every thing or put a but ugly water mark over it....

I don't think i have had my art stolen, i've had people ask to use it and depending on who it is i either tell them yes or no, and give them the usual 'don't claim it as your own' speech. What i cannot stand is when people hotlink. I think its absolutely rude and so pointless. I especially hate when i let people use my graphic and then they hotlink it from my photobucket, i usually just move the file so they can't do that and so they lose my image.

I think not enough people tell others their art sucks. Too many people go around posting blurry text'd crap everywhere on the internet and people tell them its beautiful. I don't get it. Meanwhile others who are actually good get left in the dark. Why do people do this? Is it because they don't want the crappy 'artist' to feel bad and assume the better already has self esteem or something? I am too nice to tell people their work sucks, but i hardly like most peoples work and i hardly praise anyones unless i really do like it, usually i just say 'looks nice' because i am far to nice to tell them really i think its horrible and they never should attempt it again. I agree that not everyone is a graphically skilled as others especially in the beginning, but its unfair to the person to continue and tell them their work is great when it sucks miserably. Chances are that person is wasting their time, and should move on to things they can do better.

That why I think people should give them helpful critique on how to get better,but not really to bash it or like you said to overly baby them.There are those ding dong that take your helpfulness as being flaming and will trash you for only being helpful as well it a double edge sword.I just favorite what I like and that should be good enough for them,I really don't care if people leave comment to my art but when they fav my work I fell honored because the bottom line is that mean they like it and that what matter to me at least that they like it that is what I draw for fun not really to me the best and if some one like then that great.

Basically I hate flaming, and I don't particularly like rude people on the net either. Especially those who adopt a superior attitude of 'I am right and you are wrong'. The thing with the net is that there's a degree of anonymity, so people sometimes say things on the net that they wouldn't dream of saying in 'real' life.I think that everyone has a right to a say on any topic, work of art, etc. but there's no need to be rude in any way. Politeness costs us nothing. And I think that yes, it's far, FAR better to help someone get better than to just step on them.

I think that constructive criticism of somebody's art is the best way to go. Saying "It stinks" doesn't really explain anything, nor does it help the artist figure out what to do differently next time. But at the same time: it's almost better to go with the "It stinks!" than it is to shower insincere praise on every single thing that somebody creates. Acting as if a mediocre piece of art is actually the best thing ever created only gives the creator a swollen ego. And he or she won't try very hard to make the next piece better, because he or she thinks that everything is already super-fantastic.

I?ll embellish further on the previous post by stating there?s a fine line between saccharin sweet brown-nosing and utter contempt. The silver tongued devil who flatters his mark at the drop of hat would just as easily stab him in the back if the conditions were right. Thankfully, most of us know when we?re being lied to. But insecure egos readily gobble up the praise, thus perpetuating a ridiculous cycle.I find something intrinsically wrong with a culture that hides behind a fa?ade of ?niceness,? as means of restricting free exchange of idea and opinions. Obviously I?m not condoning uncivilized behavior, but when you present a work of art to the world, you open yourself to potential criticism. That just goes with the territory.

I think that constructive criticism of somebody's art is the best way to go. Saying "It stinks" doesn't really explain anything, nor does it help the artist figure out what to do differently next time.
But at the same time: it's almost better to go with the "It stinks!" than it is to shower insincere praise on every single thing that somebody creates. Acting as if a mediocre piece of art is actually the best thing ever created only gives the creator a swollen ego. And he or she won't try very hard to make the next piece better, because he or she thinks that everything is already super-fantastic.

Yes! Yesssssss! It's like my avatar! I have no art skill, really. At least not that my avatar shows, really... But, seriously, you're supposed to act on a forum what you would act like in real life. I sincerely hope none of you are the kind of people who tell people they suck in real life. And people who do that on forums are just BITTER! Every person in the world is important, and whatever their art looks like is special and unique to them so, even if it does suck, the true value of it is that they did it themselves.

I oppose flaming. It seems you never hear people screaming at you because of your opinion in public. Then, when you go online, you find people hating you just because you dislike something they like or like something they dislike (which is almost the same). I wonder why they're afraid to show who they are?As for bashing newbies, well, I've been on the hurt side. Try playing Kohan: Ahriman's Gift as a female newb. You'll leave after your first 5 games.You may not have thought of this, but the stores that sell printed reproductions of artwork and the companies who sell mass-produced artwork are stealing from artists. If there were no mass-made art, artists would be able to make better money off of their work.

There should be none of the above listed activities here at the Xisto Forums.If you feel you are being un-rightly criticised, or flamed, use the Report button and a Mod will deal with it. That isn't to say that opinions aren't welcomed. Simply support your opinion in the manner of civilised people. Target the content and not the provider. Generate a Debate of the matter at hand is what I am saying. Do not debate the other member's personality, relative newness or their heritage, etc. Maturely discuss the issue as presented and let's keep it civilised. Thanks.

HiI totally agree with you regarding the flaming deal coz The forum is meant for people to be open with their views but people are anything but that.If you post or open a topic then the spammers put stupid one line judgments and the narrow-minded or jobless people discourage you.There is a difference between discourage and discuss, Discourage is when they will say NO before hearing the facts.I mean If a forum is meant for people to express their views then why not, Its not like there is something bad being out up for the seniors make it a job to prevent that. People who think that they are great suppress you a.k.a (also known as) moral policing. I mean Sometimes I get scared to write a post wondering whether one will flame me. Then there is no point in writing If you cant express yourself.When a person lies or gives wrong facts and maintains a Iam God personality, Then we should leave it up to the seniors rather than behaving like small kids and squabbling.Its something that my cousin had told me,, People who flame others are like bullies for they cant either digest the fact or get pissed coz they didnt write it or something.My cousin was flamed coz he was open and precise with his posts, But that was on another forum years ago,This was an opinion.. Hope no one flames me for writing what I felt... :lol:Cheers, I did not mean to hurt any one nor point it at anybody.:lol:

Edited by velma (see edit history)

The online hate

After reading a rant on a site I feel the need to voice my feelings

thing that bug me

Flaming:

I like to say some thing I don't like people who flame or bad mouth others for speaking there mind and you know what it makes no sense at all.When you post some thing like your feeling on some thing no matter what it is you expect to get some critical reply but to go out of your way to say horrible thing about them just because there views are not the same as them is just wrong.What wrong with people online just because your on online doesn't mean you lower your standards just because you can not be seen.

Noobie bashing:

Art bashing:

I can't understand this kind of stuff in fact I may get flame for starting this topic but I just wanted my voice to be hear.

people who steal:

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Topic title should be specific and detailed.

Hey man, sorry, but that's the Internet. It's how the Web works, and it may be illegal what people do, it may be unfair, but do you think the people on the Internet give a crap? No, they don't. Sorry man... wish I could do something but lol, obviously I can't. But maybe you could find some webmaster or something that runs your graphic-making program or something like that, and report your feelings. But other than... I really don't think that anything can be done. Sorry, man.

Hey man, sorry, but that's the Internet. It's how the Web works, and it may be illegal what people do, it may be unfair, but do you think the people on the Internet give a crap? No, they don't. Sorry man... wish I could do something but lol, obviously I can't. But maybe you could find some webmaster or something that runs your graphic-making program or something like that, and report your feelings. But other than... I really don't think that anything can be done. Sorry, man.

While I am a self-confessed apathetic person, there are limits to my apathy. I do agree that we cannot absolutely purge all flamers, bashers and stealers, err, thieves, from the online world. However, we can, at the very least, do our part to teach them the rudiments of acceptable manners.

I am of the opinion that people who bash other people and their works with or without valid reason are quite stupid barbaric Philistines who don't know how to use spoons and forks. On the other hand, people who do give negative feedback regarding another person's works without giving valid reasons are completely spineless jellyfishes who cannot support their own statements in a purely intellectual argument.

Okay, so maybe my beliefs are wildly exaggerated. However, let's face it, it's definitely not nice to be screamed at in the streets. After all, if we are talking about... eccentricities with our friends, it'd be quite a rude interruption to have a mob screaming, "Burn the )@mn3d withces! Burn 'em!" chasing after us.

Online, though, it is a different matter. There is virtually no closed conversation as everything we say is broadcasted to the world. Anyone can react, especially if their philosophies run quite averse to yours. However, there is a distinction between rational and unreasonable behavior. That probably is also the difference between a stranger whispering, "You have spinach between your teeth," in your ear and another stranger guffawing at you, "Look at the stupid guy/gal! Have you seen a mirror lately?"

Also, the fact that these $#!+ happens a lot of times does not mean it is right or that we cannot do anything about it. Similarly, what happens when a drunk person harasses people in a subway station? Supposedly, members of a peace-keeping force interfere and, if necessary, collar the trouble maker. Online, we call these people moderators.

However, what happens when there are no policepersons around? What if you saw a girl being raped in the middle of the street in broad daylight? Won't civilized gentlemen interfere? These "gentlemen" are the nameless people in numerous fora online who call on other people's infractions. In a sea of strangers, they kindly take the time to (attempt to) correct a rude and unbecoming behavior.

Look at it this way, if everyone were so vulgar, had no sense of proper manners and nobody stopped 'em, the Internet would be flooded with more flamewars, profanities and bashings. Sites like wikipedia would be even less reliable that it already is now, what with people just posting their opinions and emotions without limit. A lot of drive spaces would be wasted on Google-bombing people we dislike. In the end, anarchy would rule and we'd be a whole lot better off without the Internet.

As it is, thank goodness, there are more thinking people online than there are those with running lips, well, fingers ;)

However, what happens when there are no policepersons around? What if you saw a girl being raped in the middle of the street in broad daylight? Won't civilized gentlemen interfere? These "gentlemen" are the nameless people in numerous fora online who call on other people's infractions. In a sea of strangers, they kindly take the time to (attempt to) correct a rude and unbecoming behavior.

These are observations I would tend to agree with on face value were reality not such a bitter pill. What happens when said policemen ARE around but do not possess the rudiments of chivalry, unbiased vision, or high-minded character necessary to reign in the sort of uncivilized behavior discussed here? The disturbing trend is pointing toward the "watchers" more often than not being guilty of the very behavior they are charged in preventing. Policemen are, after all, just as human as the rest of us and tales of their corruption are legend. As reality would have it, some policemen don?t actually care for the female of the species and will not only refrain from coming to an assaulted woman?s aid but will take much delight in watching, and perhaps even join in the debauchery if the conditions are right (i.e., if they think they won?t get caught). Thankfully, some of the more democratically minded among us have taken it upon ourselves to watch the watchers. :unsure:

In less dramatic environments, this metaphoric ?policing? misogamist will deliver his bias in more subtle ways, unbeknown to the naive of course ? but not the learned champion of human equality. Sadly, it sometimes seems society is only as good as the few who yield their power (perceived or otherwise) over the many. Is it any wonder we are wrought with troubles and all manner of wickedness?

Regarding artistic endeavors, there?s a reason female literary artists often choose to write under pseudonyms. JK Rowling, author of the Harry Potter series, purposely wrote under an androgynous pen name as her target audience was young males, and she wished to avoid discrimination from this crowd. Had she written under a blatantly female name, she would have no doubt suffered a fair amount of bias as a result.