xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SamiFX

Microsoft Encarta Or Wikipedia Same content Different objective

Thanks to Microsoft Encarta, so it was my reference from 1997 in the most of my researches, generally it was oriented to everyone wants to know somthing but now in Microsoft Encarta 2007 there is a small change in the orientation wich refers to a full change in the next coming years.

In Encarta 2007 I comment that it talks only with the students and teachers and offers many tools for students so it helps them to solve many problems in seconds especially in physics and mathematics, while Wikipedia, The free encyclopedia.. stays offering edited articles to general puplic wich will have a wide range of people.

Personally, I would use both if I had the access. I always double-check any fact that looks

dubious on Google. However, in many cases, vandalism in Wikipedia can be reverted in minutes,

even in a few seconds if a regular Wikipedian happened to come on a page that had just

been vandalized. The fast vandalism reversal is the reason that Google trusts Wikipedia so much,

I think.

However, sometimes Wikipedia can have too much information. If I need some simple info, I

sometimes find a huge Wikipedia article. To me, Google is the ultimate source. You can look

on several websites to fact-check quickly.

Actually, now that I am done with my post, I don't really think that I am talking about the same thing.

To sum it all up, use what works better for you. Google works best for me, and I think that Google

can beat both Encarta and Wikipedia on some subjects.

Wikipedia is reliable most of the time, but is not written by a professional. Also, you CANNOT and SHOULD NOT cite sources from wikipedia... it would be a very very stupid choice. Encarta may not be as elaborate or easy to access as Wikipedia, but it is certainly a much more reliable source. However, you cannot copy Encarta articles as they are copyrighted, but Wikipedia is open source, free for you to copy. I guess they both have their advantages and disadvantages...

Personally I like wikipedia better. Most of the stuff I'm researching I have a general idea about already, and wikipedia almost always confirms that and expands my knowledge. Wikipedia also lets you make your own wikis which is nice :P.

I like Wikipedia as well. If the information on Wikipedia isn't enough, or if I have doubts about accuracy, there are usually other sources that it cites that can provide even more information. Encarta is pretty much limited to whatever it has.

Its as simple as this.... if u are looking for latest tech. or reviews about something Wiki is unbeateable... but if you are doing a project, and want details or working foe somethin.... although you will get it on Wiki but its not reliable.So the choice is yours :lol:

I like wikipedia though it is true, sometimes the information is not reliable. I would use both including google to make sure I've recieved the facts and it's good to know that it came from more sources than one, this way you know that you have recieved reliable information for your work.