xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
facool

What Books Are You Reading This Month?

Well...the month's not over yet, so I can only go with what I've read SO FAR this month :PErica Kennedy's "Bling." This wasn't bad. I didn't think that she had to go with so much back story...and the asides to explain things...but it worked all right for her first novel. Not bad overall. Chuck Palahniuk's "Choke." I figured that this would be a lot like "Fight Club," seeing as the latter novel was the one that made this guy famous. But, it's not like it at all. It's a pretty good read if you like Chuck P's fast-paced and really weird writing style.I re-read Stephen King's "The Bachman Books." The old edition with "Rage." You know - before he became concerned about the whole school shootings thing and had that novella replaced with "Thinner." Yuck. Oh, and I also read "Cell" (another King novel). It's not as good as some of his older books. I liked it, but not enough to re-read at some point in the future.Right now I'm waiting for Anthony Swofford's "Jarhead" to show up. I saw the film and really want to read the book because I'm betting that the guy's novel explains things more thoroughly. As in, why in the world the unit did half of the things that they did...what was on the guy's mind...that sort of thing. The stuff that the movies can't often show us. :(

I'm reading Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson. Its a good book simply becuase it keeps you laughing all the way through, especially due to the fact that you can relate to every observation and opinion expressed.

Hey Husker I just read Eragon too, It was ok. I read all of the Brians books, ( By Gary Paulson ) In two days, yea they are kind of easy but very enjoyable. I like books about people surviving in the wilderness. :P

I'm currently reading The Exquisite Thing, an erotic novel by Joyce Maciver. )@mn, I'd like to write like her! Erotic, hot, yet at the same time subtle and non-vulgar :POh, and while I'm at it, I'd also like her heroine's power of seduction :(

Personally, i do not have time to read books for fun anymore. Between working, college, research and fraternity events and such i spend most of my time reading school books. This past week i read about 15 different research papers published in SIGRAPH about real time render of plants, soft shadows, hard shadows, prt, etc. that i need for research. They are hard core programming papers but are very interesting and the realistic graphics they produce is amazing. For me, this is somewhat my fun reading cause its much better than a book for women's studies or something like that

I am currently reading the new Halo book, Ghosts of Onyx. by Eric Nylund. It is a good book and is interesting. I think it is better than the other 3 Halo books. But other than that for school i am reading Call of the Wild. Dont know how it is by though.

Right now i'm reading the readwall series of books,I love the first book Marlfox so much that I am now trying to read the whole series so far I have read Mattimeo,Redwall,Triss and right now I'm reading The Pearls of Lutra.I love these books for thoses whom don't know redwall is fantasy series that centers on a diffrent group of aninals depending on the book which is most a diffrent story and character each book.It may sound lame but it is really a great series of books,I think it is good series with very good storys byBrian Jacques you sould check it out I think you'll like if you like books like Harry potter and Eragon.

Edited by Roconza (see edit history)

I'm going to be reading Star Wars: Jedi Quest. I was at my school's library and somehow the book caught my eye, I figured they didn't have any so never bothered looking. Hopefully I can find some more Star Wars books their.

I'm currently reading two books. I've just about finished one of them. The first is The Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix. It's a composite of his three books Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen. It's not the absolute best fantasy series that I've read in my life, with such authors as David Eddings and Terry Brooks being better, I think, but it's certainly entertaining. I really like the unique ideas that he's had for his system of magic: necromancer bells, two (perhaps three) different forms of magic, one of them made by a pact in the beginning of time. :D The other is a brand of literary fiction, horror, science fiction, weird fiction: the collected Tales of HP Lovecraft, edited by Joyce Carol Oates. Haha! Now there's an excellent author. I've read two of his so far: The Outsider, and The Music of Erich Zann. Both of these had situations where reality started out all too real, and then by the end was a cacophony in outer space, which is all too like him. That's how gothic stories go in general: they have a mostly real setting, but then an element of the supernatural that tweaks your senses for a moment before overtaking you completely, sending you off into a nebulous realm where only the author's ideas reign in either splendor or chaos.

The introduction of the latter is quite a read, and she really provides some insight into the inner workings of Lovecraft's mind, and how he viewed the world.

Quite good stuff.

Edited by Vardigon (see edit history)

A book I've recently read and I would recommend to anyone interested in science is 'Electric Universe' by David Bodanis. It narrates the history of electricity and how it changed the world in a well-balanced mix of history, narration and science. In particular history and science are intrinsically related as some scientific findings are only possible in a precise historical period and, why not, some historical events may be well influenced by scientific advancements.Some basic scientific and technical knowledge would help understanding the matter but it's not indispensable to grasp the essence of the book, that reads almost effortlessly.edit: fixed typos//

Edited by mm22 (see edit history)

A book I've recently read and I would recommend to anyone interested in science is 'Electric Universe' by David Bodanis. It narrates the history of electricity and how it changed the world in a well-balanced mix of history, narration and science. In particular history and science are intrinsically related as some scientific findings are only possible in a precise historical period and, why not, some historical events may be well influenced by scientific advancements.
Some basic scientific and technical knowledge would help understanding the matter but it's not indispensable to grasp the essence of the book, that reads almost effortlessly.

edit: fixed typos//

I was recently watching a video on Google that dealt with that subject, I believe. It talked about a model of the universe that related to some type of plasma cosmology. They posited such things as instantaneous energy transfer from one point of the universe to another (which might be nothing new), and they related it to mythological stories of old societies, and put forth the idea that the night sky was different thousands of years ago, and that's how we got such symbols as the cross and ouroboros, etc. Also in the same video was the concept that the sun was black/hollow on the inside, and the reason it hadn't already died out or swelled to such a great extent was that it was "portaling" so to speak, energy from other parts of the universe. Does this sound like what you read?

Also in the same video was the concept that the sun was black/hollow on the inside, and the reason it hadn't already died out or swelled to such a great extent was that it was "portaling" so to speak, energy from other parts of the universe. Does this sound like what you read?

well not exactly what that book talks about... that is more "down to earth", laying down facts and scientific discoveries, certainly there are a few open questions left by any discoveries as in most cases we are only to make use of certain natural phenomena but we do not deeply understand what's beyond them...

anyway what you mention is certainly very interesting and fascinating... these thoughts always make me realize how insignificant humanity is and how insignificant our problems, wars, politics, anything... are when compared to the whole universe and what's still obscure about it!

and put forth the idea that the night sky was different thousands of years ago, and that's how we got such symbols as the cross and ouroboros, etc.

certainly the Sun occupied different positions in the (apparent) sky at the same period of the year, this is due to the phenomenon of 'precession' that can be justified by geometric reasons. This results in zodiac constellations being shifted from the position they occupied when ancient Greeks gave them the names we all use nowadays, the shift is about "one zodiac sign" so that anyone born under a certain sign was actually born when the Sun was in the nearby zodiac constellation (be it the one before or after, i forgot :D)