xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Silivar

Best Way To Learn C++?

I've been wanting to learn C++, but I'm not really sure where to get started. I was gonna look into online tutorials, but a friend told me I won't get anywhere without books. I don't really care about anything he says, though, so I figured it would be best to ask someone who knows.Can I learn simply from online tutorials and reading, or should I actually buy books on C++? If so, what should I buy? I don't know what would be a good one to get started with.Thanks.

Well... it depends on what you are going to do with the c++ knowledge...If you want to build your own programs or anything like that you should buy some books, but first start with the online tutorials.The online tutorials only show you the very basic of programming a language.But if you only want to experiment with c(++), you should find yourself a project which you interest, for my example: a game (modification).

Lol. You probably should get some books. There's also the option of free books available
in pdf or html format out there. Here's a good starting link for that type of stuff.

However, if you were to actually go out there and buy/read a book, I'd suggest getting at least one primer book and one reference book. Because you'll be flipping through the first one a lot when you begin and some more when you're learning new techniques. And you'll be flipping through the second one fine-tuning them until you've almost memorized certain sections.

I myself used the Learn C++ in 21 Days series for a while as a primer. It's alright if you're used to their technique. But for a reference, I'd suggest
C++: The Complete Reference, Fourth Edition. Probably one of the best ones I've seen.

It depends on how much you want to program in C++. I used a book, but it was a very old one from my dad and I couldn't use online tutorials because I was using dial-up at the time. I would suggest starting with online tutorials. Some tutorial sites can be very helpful. I learned OpenGL mostly from an online tutorial site. If you find the right website, you can learn everything you need. I would suggest going to http://www.gamedev.net/page/index.html because they have some affiliates that are very helpful and if you get good enough you can even participate in their contests.

Hope this helps

Use visual studio express to write c, c++ and c# code. It is a free version of vistual c++ and has everything you will need. Your other free option is to downliad the eclipse ide and install the C development package for it. Both are good solutions but visual studio express is a lot easier to use and install.

You need a book. Online resources are needed too to develop your skills. Sample working programs that you can study and learn are abundant online. Try reading C++ codes so that you may learn some programming techniques.

One book is not enough if you are really serious about C++ programming.

The most important book you need is a reference book. C++ programming has a lot of standard classes that are useful and these classes has lots of methods and properties and it would be impossible for you to memorize all of it. Thats why you need a book of reference.

The C++ Programming Languageby Bjarne Stroustrup

is a good book in understanding the nature of C++ and it can also serve as a reference book becuase in this book the author (the developer of C++ itself) discusses the standard libraries of C++.

If you are into graphics you need to buy a different book for it, the same if you are into mathematical problems.

There is no one book that explains all the standard libraries in details since it will consume 10,000 pages or more.

THe best approach is buy a book that will teach you the basic of C++ and the basic of the concept of object oriented programming. After you have gained enough knowledge about the basic buy a reference book and some books that discusses advance C++ programming technique. From here on start creating small size programs (1000 lines) or read codes from programs found online and try to understand them. THis will help you develop your programming skills. Reading is one thing but practicing is another thing.

A good free tool for C++ programming is the Bloodshed Dev-C++ IDE with compiler. This package comes with a WIN32 API library which is use in Windows GUI programming. THere is also the NetBeans IDE with compiler which is primarily for Java but you can download an expansion pack that will enable the IDE to work in C, C++. THe expansion pack comes with a C, C++ compiler. But of course you need to install the latest version of Java to run NetBeans.
Edited by saga (see edit history)

Alternatively (or in combination I presume) , matak, you can use the mingw system for Windows. It's meant to emulate a unix development system in minimalist mode. I wouldn't suggest going for this straightaway, but if you feel you can handle trying a set which allows for cross-platform code development while handling its respective issues, go for it.

In my humble oppinion you don;t need to buy boooks to learn C++. Instead of that use online resources available to everyone and there are good free books also at WIKIBOOKS which are free and most parts are nicely written.

But for the most part and the best way of learning computer language is with practice because practical knowledge cannot be compared with the practical knowledge most important thing for you is that you found yourself bunch of problems and try to solve them in C++. Alternatively if you found some problem which you cannot solve community here will help you for certain.

Best Luck In your learning

Also I would suggest learning JAVA if you don't need speed for your developed applications.

when u think u have command on looping skills then try this assignment outmake a program that print this on the screen using LOOPS1.***************2.***************3.*************************and so on ...

my advice is get thinking in c++ written by bruce eckel from this address http://www.odioworks.com/46-Bruce_Eckel&%233onic_Books.html or some other if this doesn't work(google for the title there are plenty of servers from which you can download it for free). the book covers all aspects of c++ in 2 volumes and if you go through both volumes(few times possibly) i think you will know c++ pretty well.book is written pretty simple so it isn't hard to read it and fully understand it.

I learnt my C++ from books. Introduction to Object Oriented Programming with C++ by Robert Lafore is the easiest one (in my opinion).It takes you to the OOP level very quickly. Unlike other books I have read, it made OOP really easy to understand and practice.

You can visit http://www.cprogramming.com/ . This website teaches you the basics and then takes you deep into the C,C++ Programming world. It individually handles and teaches each C,C++ topic accurately and easily and at the end of each topic, you can be given a quiz (If you want, of course) to test you knowledge on what you have learnt so far and when you have got past the basic stuff. The site then branches off into different C,C++ topics such as: Win 32 API (which as saga said is a way to learn Windows GUI programming), DLL creation, Graphics Programming and many more. Visit the site for more info.

-Shamar

You can answer easy ACM- ICPC problems at uva.onlinejudge.org . The site provides all kinds of programming exercises from newbie to professional levels. Just create an account -> pick a problem -> write & submit your source code -> if the judge accepts then GOOD, else repeat step 3. Also, Google is free... you should squeeze the most out it.