xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zeronelife

How Is School In Your Country High school

HI, zeronelife, first, welcome a board. In my country, well, my school, is extremely, hard, one of the hardest in all the country. When you sign up, at age 3, there is about 3000 kid like you entering the school. At the last grade, only 20 student get to pass this class. Thank God, I am one of the top 10 in school, and hope I always will be. Everyday you have some tons of homework, to do. French, english, arabic, a little of spanish, math, philosophy (in all three launguages)This year, is the worst ever, I have to memorize, a book, of 200 page, another with a 123 pages, and a third with 54 pages. ANd have an exam, on them. I feel very tired, when entering home. I sometimes, feel i want tod die. But still I love school, without it, my life would be so boring.

I'm in America, and my school (since schools are very different from place to place) is currently on a 7-class-a-day schedule. We're moving to 4 classes a day on alternate days soon (basically, your 1st-4th period classes on A day, your 5th-8th period classes on B day, and then back to A day), which makes me happy. I can take an extra class!I've written extensively on how our district doesn't seem to appreciate our education, but I find solace in my elective classes. We're required to take 4 years of English, 3 of science, and 3-4 of math depending on what we want to do, as well as 2-3 years of a foreign language. We also have random small classes that we need to take to fulfill graduation requirements, such as a year of a Fine Arts credit, a year and a half of P.E., and a year of a computer class. I knocked out the FA/PE by taking band for three years, which makes me happy. Unfortunately, I didn't have to take a third year of band (easily my most boring year), but I wasn't informed - again, my district is somewhat stupid - so I wasted a year.We have 4 grading periods, each 9 weeks long. At the end of each grading period, we take an exam, and we also take one at the end of each semester. Tests are left to the discretion of each individual teacher, but we normally have 1 every 3 weeks in most of our classes.It's not bad here, but it could definitely be better.

Here, in the UK it varies from school to school, but at my school we start at 8:30am and finish at 3:20pm, with 5 lessons, each of 1 hour. Depending on how old you are, you have to take certain subjects. In years 7 to 9 (age 11 to 13/14) you have no choice of subjects and have to do everything from English, to design and technology, to sport to "personal, social and health education" (PSHE). At the age of 14 you get a bit of choice as to what you want to do for the next two years, but you still have to do the basics of maths, English, all 3 sciences, religion and philosophy, sport and PSHE. When you reach 16 years old you have complete free choice over what you do. I have chose physics, chemistry, sociology, pure maths and mechanics.Our teachers are advised to set 1 hour of homework, per lesson, per day. So basically we would have 12 hours of school work per day. However, the teachers know the students would never do it, and even if they did, the teachers would never have time to mark it all. Tests and homework are left up to the teachers as to what they want to do, but usually each department will run mock exams once a year to compare all the classes with a set test they all have to take. Compulsary exams are taken at 13/14 years old (SATs) and 15/16 years old (GCSEs). If you choose to stay on and do advanced level studies (A-Levels) then you do exams at 16/17 and 17/18.Overall I think the system here in the UK is a lot better compared to what it used to be like, but there are still a lot of areas for improvement. For example, there is no parity of esteem with academic and vocational qualifications, unlike countries such as Germany.

It has been 3 years since I last graduated from high school, but I will tell you what I can anyways. I remember taking 7 subjects (English, Elementary Maths, Additional Maths, Combined Science, Combined humanities, Literature and Chinese). It was a horrid time when I was there, but I kinda enjoyed studying there, those days of being drilled exam papers from previous years, countless practice on countless foolscap papers. In my country, the high school system works in such a way:A total of 4 years for the express stream or 5 years for the normal stream. The first year is to build your foundation, in the 2nd year, you are streamed and you can choose which route you want to take it. Be it combined science, pure science or arts stream. In the 3rd year just like the 1st year, you are going to build on your foundation and in the 4th year, you take the final paper which is the GCE O'Level, it is very similar to the GCSE paper in UK because the papers are marked by Cambridge University. I am not sure about the 5 years normal stream as I was in the Express stream.

here it's 7:20 in the morning untill 2:22 in the afternoon. We're required to take 4 credits in english, 2 in math (4 if you plan on continuing your education), 2 in science (4 if you plan on continuing your education), 3 credits in history/social studies, 2 credits in physical education/health, and 9 elective credits. Our high school isn't the greatest, seeing as the building is falling apart and a lot of the kids that go there are jerks. I like all the teachers I've had so far, so I do (somewhat) enjoy going to school.The school runs a closed campus, so nobody's allowed to leave without an excuse (and they're really strict about enforcing this). We get days when they'll lock everybody in the classrooms and have the drug sniffing dogs search the school for drugs.

I am also in America and I live in California! Our school system isn't bad, but America, as you know, has one of the lowest educational programs. It is actually quite sad how poor our school system is. Our school starts at 7:45am and ends at 2:45 pm. We have a "minimum" day on Wednesdays (8:50 - 2:45). We study quite a bit, depending on what kind of courses you have. If you have some of the advance courses you may find yourself studying 3+ hours a day. I still have to say that compared to a lot of other countries America is pretty low in rank. However, our educational system still isn't that bad.

I lvie in australia, at my primary school we used to have 8:45am to 3:30pm, but got changed to 8:45am to 3:15.in primary school ,our work doesent sound as bad as most of you guys, but so far in my highschool, its starting to sound alot more like you guys.in highschool, i think 8:00am to 3:00pm, with 3 tests a week, tons of homework and very little break time.i think one of the good things about my school is at lunch time, your allowed to go to the libary to go onto the computers, which my sister at her school, isnt allowed to have.one good thing about highschool is also you have lots of friends :P

Well, I'm in Canada. Ontario, to be exact. Our schooling system is really good, I guess. I'm a returning grade 12 student. We only have grade 9 through 12 in our highschool system. I graduated and went back for an extra year. More credits, higher grades.The positive side to the OSSA (Ontario Secondary Schools Act) is that they try to be as helpful as they can. Every student, no matter of race, religion, etc... has an equal opportunity to speak with someone about their highschool career and their success in the course(s) they're taking.A lot of the teaching methods are instructional and demonstrative. As highschool students we get a fair bit of hands on experience in classes Science, etc...So, I guess with tha being said, highschool where I live is really good.

Currently i'm living in the United States, our school system is kind of weird in someways. In privious years, the president or somebody in the white house, congress made leave no student behind act or whatever that's called to help students in their acdemeics and some other areas. That haven't began in our school, they have but they haven't taken serious about it.We start school at 7:30AM to 2:30PM everyday. We get 6 classes and their roughly 45mins to 1:20mins. Some classes we get alot of homework and others we don't get at all. About the test, depending on the classes, normally i get a test maybe 1 of every 2 weeks. Since end of the year is coming soon, test are becoming more and more then we called so called "gateway" and end of coruses test. People say these test are really easy and they made by the state.

Ive been to school in both the United States and in Mexico. I really liked school over in the United States, but its not that bad here in Mexico. First of all, a regular school in the United States would be like a pay school here in Mexico. In regular school here in Mexico, (by regular I mean the ones that are owned by the state or government), there is almost never a gym, no lockers, on some there arent any water fountains and the school rooms never have decorations. The stools are also very basic and rustic. There usually is a cafeteria but it is not the same as the ones in the United States. They are very small and dont have a huge lunch room, in fact, people eat in the gardens or when you are in high school, they let you leave the campus and eat outside. Most schools dont have their own library or theatre..... omg, there is a huge difference, I had not noticed it until now that I am writing it down. I guess you could call schools in Mexico, ghetto schools. :P

I live in Trinidad and secondary school is usually from 8am to 2:30pm. There is quite a bit of variance when it comes to time but schools follow a scheme of a short break in the morning and extended period for lunch. In terms of academics secondary school is split into 2 main stages. The first stage accounts for 5 of the 7 years (form 1-5). The first two years you are given compulsory subjects about 8-10 depending on which school you attend. The third year you are given a taste of basically two subject groupings, science and business. The next two years you focus on 8-10 subjects at Ordinary Level based on the group you chose before you begin your fourth year and at the end of the fifth year you write a major exam. At this point you have a choice to either continue your mainstream education for another 2 years or move on (to work or pursue a different type of education). If you do choose to continue you will study 4 subjects at Advanced Level of your choosing based on those you did before for 2 remaining years (form 6 - lower 6 for year 6 and then upper 6 for year 7). The system has been undergoing some major changes in the last few years so I doubt I would relate that much to students in 10 years. Generally secondary education here is of good quality with a number of schools here being the best in the Caribbean.

Since i am in America then we do not have aproblem in educatuion, majoritly but in some parts yes school is bad as in all areads schools cannot be good everywhere. SO there are places where they will be bad or good. Hopefully poor countriles can get their schools better so they have just as good of a chance to become educated like us.

I go to a public school in Southeast Florida and basically, education here is just plain horrible. In order for me to get a half decent education without having to pay a private school tuition is by being part of the IB program offered at certain schools in my county, state, country, and worldwide. IB is an academically rigorous program that asks more from the student, while keeping the student at a curriculum same as for example, an IB student in Iran. My school is prominently black, with the exception of the students IB who are from many different cultures, the rest of the school is majority African American. We have 7 courses, 4 courses a day, with an alternation of periods 1,3,5, and 7 on "red" days, and periods 2,4,5, and 6 on "blue" days. Each class is an hour and forty minutes with the exception of period 5 which is just 45 minutes but meets every day. Anybody else here in IB? I love meeting IB kids from around the world.