xisto Community
Full.Clip

Cigarette Smoking Ads on TV make you want to quit but not easily done

You see it almost any and everywhere you go - People smoking cigarettes just because they can. I smoke them but I really want to quit because I want to live past 40 :P Seriously, the habit isn't easily avoided and it's when you say your quitting when the habit and urges become stronger. You see those TV commercials that make you want to quit at the very moment, but afterwards you're back at it again. That's me sadly enough :(Some people I know personally have been smoking for over 40yrs and have no health problems :( I wonder what the probability is of getting cancer or worse conditions caused of smoking cigarettes. I know it's bad, but any mood changes can make you one. For example, you say you quit smoking today but something happens that day that made you upset and what's the first thing that comes to mind? That's right, a nice stress relieving (not really) cigarette which is the remedy to all your pains.I sometimes wish there was a turn on and off button I could press to release myself from this habit. Some say strong will power is all you need to quit smoking, others go buy patches and gum to help aid them in the process. Anyone else addicted or know some addicted to cigarettes? Care to share your stories?

Edited by Full.Clip (see edit history)

Relax, take it easy. I hate to sound like some kind of religious nut, mainly because I'm really not, but in this case, I'm going to delve into the bible for a second. I don't know the book or verse, but in there, I'm quite sure it says, "Moderation in all things." I couldn't agree more. Here's my advise, and it comes from experience so I'm not just pulling this out of my anal orifice: First, buy only American Spirits or another equally high quality natural cigarette. It's all those added chemicals that'll kill ya quicker than you can say Chemotherapy! Next, stop smoking so much! Take it down to where you're only smoking two or three smokes a day. No one's going to die from smoking two or three (natural) cigarettes a day. There. You're happy, Sante Fe Natural Tobacco Company is happy, and best of all, you get to keep on smoking. It also helps to buy them on-line from a res in New Mexico. No tax that way.BTW, I only smoke one or two Natural American Spirit Medium cigarettes a day. Slow down, relax. These cigarettes are so loaded with tobacco they'll take ten to fifteen minutes to smoke and WOW! what a rush of nicotine!Moderation...Moderation...Moderation...Moderation...Moderation...Moderation...

Edited by Watermonkey (see edit history)

Well, I smoked a pack a day for seven years from age 14-21, and then one day I really didn't want to smoke anymore. It just did not fit my lifestyle. I realized that I started smoking because of peer pressure and that I only smoked when I wasn't sure what to do. It make me feel important, like I had something to do all the time. I also took note of the amount of time I spent smoking. 20 ciggs at 5min per cig...that's 100 minutes or one hour and forty minutes of smoking. I don't have that much extra time on my hands anymore. The greatest thing that is keeping me from becoming a smoker again is...i didn't really quit. I smoke when I want. It may be none per month or twice per month, or I might splurge if I am having a particularly celebratory or morning time. The trick is to not have a cigg if you don't want it. That is just wrong. Have one if you like, but most likely you are not going to WANT to smoke 20 ciggs a day. that just hurts.

Usually people smoke because they can and want to. When they think about quitting they think of all the withdraws. Weight gain, fatigue, mood swings, theres tons to name but they can all happen. I guess the best way to quit if you are addicted is to do a either a program or patch to help you. Lung cancer runs through my family, so theres no way i am going to be smoking and i don't see it happening anytime soon either.

Rather than using a patch or some kind of program to quit the smoking habit, you could also use a book. Sometimes that's all it takes. Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" has been proven effective because the philosophy behind the book is different. I personally know a couple of friends who were able to not only quit smoking, but also are able to not crave another cigarette again.

Here's a quick link: Allen Carr - Wikipedia entry

Seems like it's this "all or nothing" mentality that often gets people into trouble. Though I don't smoke, I see nothing wrong with someone who wants to smoke a cigarette or two per day, just as I see nothing wrong with someone who has a few drinks a day, like me :P. The current political war being waged against cigarettes reeks of prohibition, and should scare the crap out of any freedom-loving individual. Don't be so quick to jump on this anti-smoking witch hunt. If you don't want to smoke, that's fine - more power to you. But don't dare dictate how others should live, based on your limited knowledge of what the media feeds you. How will you feel when they decide to outlaw your favorite soda or candy bar? You may not see it now, but believe me, that's where this is headed.

A simple way to stop smoking:
Just don't smoke anymore!

I'm 100% serious.

Uhh...smoking is an addiction. A smoker's body craves a cigarette the same way that it craves water.

So...just don't drink water for the next, oh, week. Just don't do it anymore. I'm 100 percent serious.

It's hard to quit ive done it! well what i did was just simple BUT HARD!!! whenever i needed to smoke i just drink a whole bottle of water then i would feel relaxed and then urine the whole day and when i needed to smoke again i drank another bottle! it's damn hard but it works try it! lemme know if it helps u!

I dont see the point in smoking as the companies add dangerous chemicals which are unnecessary openly in front of the public. Are we still that stupid to take that poison. I understand that we may want to try it once but why do we want to smoke tobacco and make smoke come out of our mouths. It is only stupid and our bodies are not designed for it. We should just live as we dont have time for making friends why do we waste time smoking. I think it is stupid but i used to do it once when i thought it was good. Thank god i left my addiction which was never there as i can still smoke and not smoke everyday. I have a strong willpower.

Uhh...smoking is an addiction. A smoker's body craves a cigarette the same way that it craves water.
So...just don't drink water for the next, oh, week. Just don't do it anymore. I'm 100 percent serious.

well i stopped just by saying "i won't smoke" anymore. of course i'm craveing and that, but i repeat sometimes to self, "who is in control of your body".. and step by step, day by day passes and now i don't smoke anymore.

anyhow, cigaretes today are really bad, and someone here wrote before of natural tobaco which i preffer much more than cigaretes, couse it really "does the job".. even now i sometimes roll me self a tobaco and smoke it. but i don't smoke every day. just sometimes when i feel to it...

Uh, so you're saying if you just stop smoking you'll die? If you stop drinking water for a week you'd probably die or at the very least become too weak to stand. Are you trying to tell us the same would happen if you stopped smoking? Well, I don't know what you're smoking, but that doesn't happen with me. Occasionally I'll stop smoking completely for a month or so just to let my lungs recover and to detoxify. I have absolutely no withdrawal symptoms. None. Neither mental nor physical. Nor did I when I quite smoking the Camels. So I really don't get where you're coming from with that "body craves a cigarette the same way it craves water" crap... Perhaps you could elaborate...

A simple way to stop smoking:
Just don't smoke anymore!

I'm 100% serious.

Wow, that has to be one of the dumbest things i have heard. First off, there is something in Cigarettes that make you get addicted to them.(Nicotine) And it makes it really hard to quite cause your body craves it. So it is a lot easier said than done. But if i were you i would try this:
1. Try to limit yourself on how many you have a day. Moderation i think somebody said before. Try to have the smallest amount possible everyday.
2. Use the patches and gum, that will help in the moderation.
3. Keep decreasing the amount of cigarettes that you smoke.
4. Then, after a whiles work of smoking less and less try to quit. You body will be used to smoking less so i would think that it would be easier to quit. Like most people would just be like I'm going to quit, but they never tried to smoke less first. To me that means that it would be harder for them to quit because there body is going to crave it more. So, then at this stage actually try to quit completely.

I do not know if this will work. I have never smoked and therefore i have not needed to try to quit. But i believe that this would be the easiest way to quit just from common sense. I hope this works out for you, and you can stop smoking.

Once again i hope this helps you.

Uh, so you're saying if you just stop smoking you'll die? If you stop drinking water for a week you'd probably die or at the very least become too weak to stand. Are you trying to tell us the same would happen if you stopped smoking? Well, I don't know what you're smoking, but that doesn't happen with me. Occasionally I'll stop smoking completely for a month or so just to let my lungs recover and to detoxify. I have absolutely no withdrawal symptoms. None. Neither mental nor physical. Nor did I when I quite smoking the Camels. So I really don't get where you're coming from with that "body craves a cigarette the same way it craves water" crap... Perhaps you could elaborate...

I never said that you (generalization) would DIE if you suddenly quit smoking.

My comparison was meant to illustrate the fact that addiction makes the body NEED whatever it is that it is addicted to. (It's not QUITE the same as needing water - we're all born with a need to drink, after all, whereas we are not born with an innate need to smoke - but a tobacco addict has a similar dependency on both tobacco and water.)

As a smoker, my body and my brain have been wired, over the course of the last 11-12 years that I've smoked, to need tobacco. I'm not going to die if I stop smoking, but my body will definitely revolt.

Besides which: my comment was somewhat absurd because it was a response to an obtuse observation.

Try herbal cigarrettes--they are nothing but tobacco (like the Native Americans smoked) and they are not dangerous because they don't have any nicottine, or rat poisen, or tar, or whatever they shove in those cigarrettes these days...Try some form of deep breathing. This helps destress the body and remove toxins from the airways. The only way to truly stop an addiction is to stop it at an instinctual level. The people who have long-term success in avoiding cigarrettes are the ones you just had a cigarette in hand one day, and BEFORE THEY EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT IT, they put it down, and never picked one up again.It was their instinct, and their spiritual discipline that gave them the ability not to smoke again.